No announcement yet.

Have any adults tried Schroth Therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The basics should have been covered in BIO 101, weren't you all required to at least take that?
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      The basics should have been covered in BIO 101, weren't you all required to at least take that?
      When I was schooled in Scotland, we didn't even have pencils, just carved symbols on trees with our dirks.
      07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
      11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
      05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
      12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
      05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
        When I was schooled in Scotland, we didn't even have pencils, just carved symbols on trees with our dirks.
        You're a caveman, and yet you still have young children? You must look REALLY young for your age! LOL
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

You're a caveman, and yet you still have young children? You must look REALLY young for your age! LOL
          Nice one! As William Wallace reputably said, "Yes, I'm a savage."

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Hi Ballet Mom
            It's that flexibility increase, not engendered by Schroth on its own, that has persuaded me to start Tamzin at ballet. She loved her first class this evening. She's going along tomorrow night--the teacher wants to put her in a GRADE 4 class, whatever that means? Two Royal ballet school juniors at the class tonight really fired Tamzin's competitive juices.

We did 30 minutes of Pilates beforehand. Instructor was very knowledgeable on scoliosis. Explained opening up the intervertebral disks posteriorly very well; if the anterior overgrowth (genetic or caused by asymmetric growth plate pressure) theories hold water, addressing that spine flexibility asymmetry is crucial. She also gave me a humbling lecture on physiology--I wanted to take notes!
            Usually level 8 is the highest level in a ballet school with the most advanced dancers, although if you're doing RAD, I'm not sure that's the same. Most dancers never make it to level 8. If there are two actual students from the Royal Ballet school still home for vacation, your daughter is surely going to a good ballet school. Good for Tamzin, hope she has fun.

It's great that you've found someone knowledgable about scoliosis for Pilates for your daughter. That will hopefully help her. It will certainly strengthen her!

Comment

I took the standard first year bio sequence with lab, the one the majors take though it was not my major. I don't recall if there was much human anatomy or physiology. Of course that was a million years ago which would be 999,994 years before the Big Bang. ;-)
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                If there are two actual students from the Royal Ballet school still home for vacation, your daughter is surely going to a good ballet school. Good for Tamzin, hope she has fun.
                We're back there tonight, I'll find out exactly the status of those two girls. Thanks for the good wishes for Tamz.

It's great that you've found someone knowledgable about scoliosis for Pilates for your daughter. That will hopefully help her. It will certainly strengthen her!
                Interestingly, despite having an Amazonian washboard abdomen and capable of staggering feats of abdomenal strength, Tamzin struggled with one particular exercise--the Pilates instructor honed right into an area of weakness that I've not before appreciated. Very helpful as everything right around the middle (abs, gluts, obliques, TA, QL, psoas, etc.) all act to 'brace' the lumbar spine. One weakness can affect the entire support system. Salutary to meet this woman who knows her stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                  If there are two actual students from the Royal Ballet school still home for vacation, your daughter is surely going to a good ballet school.
                  Back from class again, spoke to the girls' mothers. They are both Royal Ballet school Junior Associates. This means they do every weekend sessions and vacations with the RBS and are in the pipeline, so to speak.

Comment

Our first Schroth treatment

We had our first pre-treatment today. That is, part of the series before we depart for our month long venture. The therapist suggested two times/week before we go, which will be beneficial, I'm sure. We'll get a few extra learning sessions in before the intensive. Eleven more days until we get the Cheneau brace. Erin is in SUCH a growth spurt I agonize every time a friend says, "Oh, look how much she's grown since Christmas!" or some other recent date. augh. I will be able to rejoice in all of her growth AFTER January 24th!
                    Emily, 43
                    approx 50 T, 36 T/L

Comment

Originally posted by 3sisters View Post
                      We had our first pre-treatment today.
                      Excellent. Interested in what they focused on. At our introduction, the therapist battered straight into exercising, almost assuming Tamzin knew everything. Directed breathing (Rotational Angular Breathing/RAB is crucial; we'd have been more prepared having that explained. The corkscrew rotations (opposite thoracic and pelvic would have also helped. I'm sure that the Germans did a much better prep session with you and the clinic itself has a great reputation. I'm Eager to hear how they proceeded today.

Eleven more days until we get the Cheneau brace. Erin is in SUCH a growth spurt I agonize every time a friend says, "Oh, look how much she's grown since Christmas!" or some other recent date. augh. I will be able to rejoice in all of her growth AFTER January 24th!
                      I know the relief you crave! Just be careful that Erin doesn't SOLELY rely on it, but works with it. My wife and I are STILL discussing whether to use a rigid brace (e.g., Cheneau) at night, the SpineCor in the the day. Again, we're eager to hear how Erin gets on. (Tamzin is a year and a half younger.)

Comment

My wife and I are STILL discussing whether to use a rigid brace (e.g., Cheneau) at night, the SpineCor in the the day.
                        A member here, Michael1960 (I think that's right), is doing that with his daughter. She has JIS. He wrote some every cogent posts here and elsewhere, exquisitely and tightly reasoned. Made mincemeat of some chiros. I hope he pops back sometimes to say how it's going.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          A member here, Michael1960 (I think that's right), is doing that with his daughter. She has JIS. He wrote some every cogent posts here and elsewhere, exquisitely and tightly reasoned.
                          Cheers Sharon, I'll look him up. I've read about quite a few parents in the US doing the double brace deal. Previously, I was concerned about interfering with the SpineCor's dynamics, but, as we become more familiar with that, the issues are fading.

PS: If Tamzin had been checked 8 yrs old, they'd have classified her as JIS. Moot issue really, as I doubt there's any substantial difference between AIS and JIS, except maturity. Arbitrary line in the sand.

Comment

Just looked him up Sharon, his last post Jan 2011. Informative post: Boston at night, SpineCor in day, substantial correction at 15 mnths. He also used a chiropractor, I see. We'll give it another seven weeks with Tamzin in the SpineCor, get an in-brace x-ray (with shields used!!!) and make some decisions then. I'm concerned at the moment with POSSIBLE lack of sizeable lateral correction, but am POSSIBLY (?) pleased with the derotation emphasis. Time-bomb ticking keeps me antsy, but I don't want to rigidify the T curve by applying too much lateral pressure before derotation. The Cheneau, however, DOES derotate AND apply lateral pressure. (The Michael poster used a Boston--much revamped I'd imagine and, as he says, hugely dependent on the skill of the orthotist.)

PS: Mr Mills looked at Tamzin's x-ray of that nightmarish night-time brace we used for a night. He was shocked at how dangerous it was.

Comment

Moot issue really, as I doubt there's any substantial difference between AIS and JIS, except maturity. Arbitrary line in the sand.
                              You have company with that but then what is the explanation of the 1:1 ratio of boys:girls for JIS vice 7:1 for girls:boys for AIS? So it looks like a very different animal. But I guess it could still be the same thing and that something about female puberty biochemistry skews the ratio.
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

What we learned first day

[QUOTE=TAMZTOM;133576]Excellent. Interested in what they focused on. At our introduction, the therapist battered straight into exercising, almost assuming Tamzin knew everything. I'm sure that the Germans did a much better prep session with you and the clinic itself has a great reputation. I'm Eager to hear how they proceeded today.

So, the therapist (Susanne) brought out a skeleton model and we went over some body parts in English and German, talked about what is going on in Erin's chest, and what we would work on with breathing. I expect we'll get more of these lessons at successive therapies, but there is only so much time and we will learn a bit at a time as we introduce new information. Our therapist speaks English but we want to know the German terminology as well so that we can get around better in Bad Sobernheim.

There, the first week of therapy is individualized and will be in english, but then the group sessions after the first week will be in German, mostly. So many words are the same, and by then we will be familiar with the methodology and practicing what we've learned.

Anyway, back to the treatment... Then she had Erin lay down and positioned her arms up (left) or down (right, ) adjusted her hips, and worked on having Erin breathe audibly with her. Deep breaths in, longer exhalations, and Susanne kept her hand where she wanted Erin to try to breath into (left lung/ thoracic area.) Susanne recommended 2x/ week therapy before we go to the klinik. I also need to get four beanbags of 200 grams each to help position/ place against Erin's body.

We have begun.
                                Emily, 43
                                approx 50 T, 36 T/L

Comment

Working...
                                X