Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping Meds

Hello!
    I'm four months post-op. I gradually have stopped taking mine. I was taking 3-4 hydrocodone-10 mg. a day at three months. Then I cut it down to two for 2-3 weeks. Now, I'm just taking one at night, along with Celebrex. It's not easy. Our bodies seem to really depend on them.
    Good luck! Have you talked to your doctor about it?
    CSC
    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Scoliosis2007-- Do they have you on a plan for reducing the meds? If not, you need to contact your doctor. You need to be weaned slowly off of them or you'll have problems. I didn't have any problems getting off them at all, but it was a gradual weaning. You should talk to your scoli doc or pcp to have one of them devise a plan and monitor what you're doing, if possible. Good luck with this!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

muscle pain at 6 months

Hello all!
        I'm back for some advice or sympathy. Not sure which! The school year has started for me as a teacher, after being off for six months. I've been noticing the past few day- excruciating pain and tightness. It hurts with walking, sitting, basically everything. Even my ribs hurt.
        I spoke to my spine nurse and she prescribed skelaxin and zanaflex for muscle spasms. Anyone else experience this at six months or there abouts? I seemed to have come around the corner as far as recovery goes until this started up. Will these two prescriptions help? I'm hoping. It's making work very difficult.
        I always enjoy reading this forum. A lot of my questions recovering and enduring this physical state have been answered again and again. Everyone is so helpful! Just want to know you're all appreciated.
        Thanks, for any answers in advance.
        CSC
        Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress

Comment

csc-- I don't have any answers-- just some questions. Most specifically, how are you doing now? Did those meds help you? I imagine you were feeling so sore because your body isn't quite up to that routine... but hopefully by now you have adjusted and/or the meds are helping. Are the kids being understanding and helpful??? That can make or break you, I know.

I started back on the 11th, but I was able to take all of last year off, so I am farther along in recovery. I am still tight and sore, and fairly tired when I get home, but so far it seems like it will be do-able. I'd rather be home, of course, but it is nice to see the kids and helps that they are excited to see me back. It would be dreadful if they were sorry! Anyway, let us know how it's going for you-- and if you are feeling better. Working at a school is pretty physically demanding. Take care! Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Muscle spasms

Susie,
            Thanks for answering. I've been reading your posts and hoping you were doing alright. I passed my before and after photos of xrays at our first staff meeting. Figured this way they wouldn't think I was just home the last six months eating bon-bons and watching soap operas. Some were just amazed, of course. One teacher confided that she had scoliosis, but she felt she'd never be able to go through the surgery.
            Right now I have two weeks of teaching under my belt. We had one week before school started. It was after the first week of school that I really started experiencing such tightness and pain. I really wanted " to reach in and loosen some of the screws."!! My students are good about picking up and moving things. I have almost all boys- 8th graders (special education) and one regular class at the end of the day. It is uplifting to be around them.
            Anyway, I called my spine doctor's nurse complaining and she prescribed muscle relaxers. I ended sleeping most of last weekend. Monday, I started halving them.
            The last three days I have not been taking any. So, I am doing better. I was really wondering last week if I would be able to continue working. I am very pleased with having such a straight back and how clothes fit. My lower back pain is virtually gone. It just takes time to heal and lots of patience.
            I hope things keep going well for you. One of my best friends is a school librarian. Your job is a demanding one! But I really feel that it's being around children that gives us joy and makes us laugh!
            Take care,
            CSC

Comment

true grit...

csc-- it sounds like you are showing true grit... and hopefully it will get better with time. I just keep thinking I'l do my best and hope for the best, but bail out if it doesn't work. I guess time will tell for us. There is always a Plan B if our health is actually at risk.

I have my next appt. with my scoli doc Aug. 28th, so that will be good. I'll feel relieved to know that whatever aches I have are still just normal recovery stuff, which I think they probably are. Then I'll be good for another 6 months or maybe longer. Yes, this recovery just takes a long time and lots of patience! But we'll make it. Take care! And let us know how it goes with a little more time too.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Dr app't too

I have a doctor's appointment this Monday. So, it will be reassuring to find out there's nothing wrong and these aches and pains are just part of the process.
                I've been told that since I'm fairly thin, I'll feel the instrumentation more.
                So anyway, I hope we both get good news. I've yet to ask what my curves are now and what is fused. Looks straight to me!
                CSC

Comment

Uhhhh, is it weird that I had surgery June 26th of this year, and was off pain meds COMPLETELY a week later on July 3rd?
                  17 years old - Female - Canada
                  Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
                  Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

I'm feeling your pain......

Krystal vent away.....you've got to be able to do it somewhere!

I'm glad I stumbled across this part of the forum to "vent" I think I may be beyond venting. Screaming, yes that might be a better word. I was diagnosed when I was 11 if memory serves and braced with the Boston Brace from 12 -14 and fought it the whole way. I didn't have trouble with my back until I was 32. I was a personal trainer and competitive body builder and was 3 weeks out from stepping on stage to compete when my first disc herniated and it went downhill from there. I did see a neurosurgeon was but he said contrary to what my PCM told me that the herniated disc was from the rotation in my spine. I made the decision not to have surgery because I knew that there would be more herniated discs to follow and boy was I ever right.

I am 2 years post op and had a great correction and no post op problem other than taking a full two years to really heal. My problem now is that all my discs are degenerating in my neck and I have constant muscles spasms in my neck, shoulders and traps and lats and of course like many of you I'm told that my fusion and rods look beautiful and I should have no pain. I have been treated with various anti depresants because the docs wouldn't prescribe stronger meds. I take Tramadol which doesn't do much and I do take Valium which does help some but not enough with my spasms. One doc recently tried to take the Valium away and I'm fighting that one. So far there has been no other muscle relaxer that works for me. I'm also on Celebrex which definitely helps. When I don't take it I can barely move.

I'm going in tomorrow morning for an epidural steriod shot in my neck which I feel that I'm being forced to have.....should it not work only then will they prescribe stronger pain meds. I don't even expect stronger meds for everyday use. I need them maybe a couple of times a week. I have a three year old to take care of, a husband who is underway in the Coast Guard and two older boys who play hockey(one is a travel hockey player) sitting in the rink 6 nights a week DEFINITELY doesn't help. Thank heavens I LOVE to watch them play :O)

I can handle the pain. What has caused me so much grief and anxiety is dealing with doctors who feel there shouldn't be pain anymore and I'm treated like it's all in my head. I know many of you can understand this one! I would love to see them have to take care of baby after having discs removed, rods and screws and cages and wires put in. I cannot count the number of times I have left appointments in tears because I get no where. I even brought my husband one time only to sit there for an hour while he and the doc spoke over each other. My husband finally understood my frustrations.

My surgeon was WONDERFUL. However, when I called in to get refills last summer I was told he had retired from the military and was gone and I had to wait to meet the new doc before I got any meds. So not only was I not given any meds on the 4th of July weekend and couldn't function through the holiday for the kids and the doc was an asshole (sorry but he was) to me when I finally saw him. I've never met such an abrasive human being in my life. I never did go back for my final follow up appointment because I just didn't want to deal with this man. I am going to work on getting a referal to my original surgeon who is practicing in the area. Hopefully the pain clinic will do that for me tomorrow. We shall see.

I'm also very scared that I will have to have my neck fused and I can't even begin to think about another surgery and recovering and worry about the loss of flexibility if the do fuse it. Right now my fusion is from L5-T2.....I do think the older the baby gets the better some of this pain will get but the long history in my family with back problems I'd say the prognosis isn't looking like it's in my favor.

Ok, I'm done with my pity party. On to tomorrow and this shot and heaven help them if they cause more headaches as I've had enough of those too!!!!!!!
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tillgurl View Post
                      Uhhhh, is it weird that I had surgery June 26th of this year, and was off pain meds COMPLETELY a week later on July 3rd?
                      That's awesome! They say younger people have an easier time with scoliosis surgery and maybe your tollerance to pain is better than most people. Enjoy
                      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X