Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revision Surgery/ Doc info NYC area/ Anyone fused to sacrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
    If you are thinking$150K coming out of the pocket would be hard, hear this. My first surgery and second(revision) surgery were both over $300,000 dollars! But ofcourse, my surgeon accepted my insurance. I just thought $150,000 dollars sounds cheap for scoli surgery. Mine was done in Sioux Falls So. Dak.
    My scoli surgery done in Charlotte last May was $297,000. BCBS paid for it all except for $250

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
      My scoli surgery done in Charlotte last May was $297,000. BCBS paid for it all except for $250
      Hi Melissa,

Out of curiousity, do you know how much the surgeon actually got paid?

I'm just curious if these guys generally write off a portion of their fee (I would guess some do, some don't). My experience has been only with Shriners and since they don't charge the patient for their services, I have no idea how this works.

Thanks!
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
        If you are thinking$150K coming out of the pocket would be hard, hear this. My first surgery and second(revision) surgery were both over $300,000 dollars! But ofcourse, my surgeon accepted my insurance. I just thought $150,000 dollars sounds cheap for scoli surgery. Mine was done in Sioux Falls So. Dak.
        $150K was a number that was tossed around here when I brought up in the beginning that I thought a lot of teens, especially girls were getting spine surgery for cosmetic reasons and someone mentioned that insurance companies wouldn't be forking out that kind of money just for cosmetic reasons. Maybe $150K for a straightforward first surgery in teens is around that much but I can totally see it being a lot more for more complicated surgery or revisions etc. but I really have no idea. It all sound like a LOT to me but I am poor, lol.

Now that my son has been let go for so long and his curve is huge and he'll need two surgeries and halo traction and a lot more time in the hospital I can bet his care will be a whole lot more than it would have been if he'd have been looked/dealt with even six months ago. You can thank the wonderful province of British Columbia and their crappy incompetent system for that one! At least I feel a bit better knowing that the BC government entered into a four year deal with Shriners BC/Yukon and gave them a boat load of money to transport BC kids to Portland BUT the jerks don't tell you about that and you have to find out about it all on your own. I wish I had joined this site six months ago but it is what it is and we shall move on from here. Still infuriates me though and it will take me a LONG time to let go of my anger about this whole situation. I am possibly going to look into a law suit and I am definitely going to be contacting our local paper at some point after my son is back in BC recovering.
        Last edited by Elisa; 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Revision surgery - NYC

I had revision surgery with Dr. Errico in January of 2008 (fusion to the sacrum) post Harrington rods placed in 1975. I got my life back!

Comment

Anyone know anything about Bendo, Cammisa or Cunningham in NYC as far as revision surgery? Good or bad?

Comment

never heard of them...
              i see that they are on the SRS list on this website...

Boachie, Errico, Lonner, and Neuwirth are the ones most often mentioned for Manhattan...
              but that doesn't mean there can't be other good ones out there...

i would speak to them in person about their experience with revision...
              and check their websites...

jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Jowilly, I don't know if you're in NYC proper or what but consider Dr Jon Grauer at Yale-New Haven. He did my 14-level surgery 3 weeks ago and I can say that I am pleased with his technique and the overall service I received. Grauer himself, along with his staff, has been excellent and exceeded my expectations. And I'm a fairly serious bitch.
                Female, age 38
                4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                currently 64*upper/40*lower
                Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Originally posted by jowilly View Post
                  Anyone know anything about Bendo, Cammisa or Cunningham in NYC as far as revision surgery? Good or bad?
                  The attorney I work for was looking for the best surgeon in NYC to operate on his mother's spine. (He's also had some issues and is famiiliar with all the best orthos at HSS, Joint Diseases, etc.). He said Bendo is the man.
                  Last edited by mariaf; 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM.
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

GP in Manhattan wanted best NYC scoli surgeon for his daughter...
                    he said Boachie was the man!

jess

Comment

Hey Jess -

Since several of these guys are clearly top-notch, maybe we should call them "The Men" - LOL!!!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

agreement

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        hi Jody
                        i know Boachie is one of the best..but there ARE others!

Lonner is doing minimally invasive lumbar...i am not saying you are a candidate for that, as i am not a doctor....
                        BUT...he is open, compassionate, excellent surgeon, and always looking for up and coming methods....if you search forum with his name, you will find many who sing his praises....
                        i saw Dr Neuwirth 2 years ago...i didn't feel he was too old to do hours of surgery...that is just my opinion...
                        and Dr Errico is excellent....his office is usually packed!

i don't think it is good for patients to view one doctor as the be all and end all...i know guys like Boachie & Lenke are often viewed that way...but i repeat...there are other excellent scoli surgeons!

perhaps it would be a good idea to schedule other consults...if your insurance covers it...how could it hurt?

i do NOT put up with rude treatment from any doctor or receptionist..went thru it with Lyme, and it taught me a lot!! i do not tolerate it! they are not gods...despite what some may think...or their receptionists may think, who may have a little worship going on! i think i mentioned that i walked out on a top Sloane Kettering surgeon for a tumor in my left femur...i refused to allow him to condescend and verbally abuse me!@ i didn't care how damn good he was supposed to be!

best of luck...
                        jess
                        I couldn't agree with you more and I am a former RN
                        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                        Spinal fusion 1961
                        HR 1981 T3-L4
                        Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
                        Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
                        [FONT]

Comment

hey Maria
                          you are right...we should call them "The Men"
                          thank goodness there are several top notch scoli surgeons! too much for any one person to handle!

jess

Comment

Surgery scheduled!

Thanks everyone. I am scheduled for revision surgery (anterior/posterior) with fusion to the sacrum on 4/20. I am having it done by Dr. Grauer at Yale in CT. I am scared out of my mind but looking forward to getting it over with and on the road to being pain fre......hopefully!

Comment

Congratulations on your decision to go forward!

I have to say I was very pleased with Dr Grauer - and my scar is thin and perfectly straight. I felt he had a good bedside manner.

My only comments would be

1) BEWARE OF THE ORTHOTICS GUYS, especially Darren Donnelly from NEOPS (New England Orthotics and Prosthetics). He compromised my safety and caused me excruciating pain trying to fit me into a brace 20 hrs post-op. Be clear with Grauer that the Orthotics guys are NOT to come see you before 3 days post-op and that Darren Donnelly specifically should not be seeing you. Tell Barb and tell whoever (your husband or whatever) will be there with you. Keep the orthotics guys OUT. The brace is for your comfort ONLY after you are up and walking extensive lengths. No urgency to get it done. If they show up, don't be afraid to kick them out. They're contracted vendors. When Dr G found out that Darren had shoehorned me into one of them, he said, "Get her out of it now."

2) Ask to be sent home with both long term and short term pain meds. For me, I have oxycontin every 12 hrs with oxycodone every 4-6 hrs for coverage. Be specific in your pain meds requests, as they pretty much will go with what you request, and you will want the long term pain med with the short term coverage to fill-in as needed. Valium worked well for me for spasms.

3) The cafeteria downstairs has way better food than the hospital food. Chicken fingers and Naked Juice were both good (NJ with boosts have a lot of vits and calories to get you up and running again). The only edible thing I found was the chicken noodle soup, which I think is Progresso.

Dr Grauer and his team have been excellent. I can't speak higher of him, Barb, Jan and his resident staff. I am almost 8 weeks post-op and so far, so good.
                              Female, age 38
                              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                              currently 64*upper/40*lower
                              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Thanks

Thank you Lily. Great advice. If you can think of anything else, I'd appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                                X