No announcement yet.

Let me introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I only wanted my husband there. A couple people did come but it was just sort of a dream to me. I was too out of it to really know much or remember it. In rehab my daughter and sister were there for a while and that was fine. But just for friends to show up, I was glad I was too far away for that. You don't feel up to it, but that was just me. Some may be fine with it. I didn't even watch tv, read, or anything. You're too medicated to know what's going on. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Ditto for me. I am very friendly, and was hoping my friends and family would be there so I wouldn't be bored all week. But it was pretty hazy for me. I don't remember anything of the first 2 days. Just dreamlike memories of my husband and parents and best friend being there. We didn't have a lot of conversation, but it was nice just knowing they were there, and I didn't need to put on my "happy to have visitors" face on. I could be myself. I remember some people being there earlier, but not anything that was said. However, I was very comforted when my husband was there and stayed a few nights with me.
      So I wouldn't recommend someone driving a long ways to see you. Better to visit you when you get home. You need to sleep as much as you can. Having surgery is hard work and it wears you out! You are under anesthesia for a long time, and it takes time to get it out of your system. And you won't get much sleep with all the vitals checks and medications, etc going on day and night. You just want to rest and catch some sleep! I took my cell phone, and never had the desire to talk to anyone. It rang a couple times, and to be honest, I didn't want to answer it-so I didn't. No one but you guys know that now!!!! No telling....
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Cathy

That is a great question! Some like to have many visitors, I myself, told everyone to leave me be......

Why? because after you get done with your surgeries, you are going to be zonked from the extremely powerful meds they use. The lights will be on, but nobody will be home. I just didn’t want anyone to see me that way.....They kept me in intensive care for a few days.

I would say, allow your husband and daughter for the first week and others after 5-7 days. You should make that call, only when YOU are ready. They should understand.

Most hospitals do not want kids under 16 coming down for visits.
        I think its justifiable.

I'm glad Janet and Jenee posted and will ditto them. I had no desire to watch tv in the hospital, and I thought it was just me.

My cell phone was used just once. I called for a ride home, and was asked what car should be used. I said, “bring the pick-up truck, and throw me in the back”.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Cathy, I tend to agree with the others about visitors. I, too, did not desire any visitors except for my husband. I was pretty out of it for the first few days, plus I didn't feel very attractive with all my IVs, unwashed hair, etc. Many friends wanted to come see me but I asked them to wait until I got home and was more comfortable and "normal looking."
          Laurie
          Age 57
          Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
          Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
          Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
          Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
          Dr Munish Gupta
          UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
          X