Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Maternal Age Associated with AIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As regards "deep" trait which I did make up but I think recalls something I read... scoliosis goes back to at least Turkana Boy (1.6 millions years old). I'm also no physical anthropologist but that sounds pretty deep to me.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Evidently I was correct. There is no study that shows the Scoliosis hits all people around the world at the same rate and the incidence doesn't vary over time. How would a study like that even be conducted?

As I suspected Pooka1 is back to her old tricks of inserting completely made up nonsense to confuse readers who might not know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
        As I suspected Pooka1 is back to her old tricks of inserting completely made up nonsense to confuse readers who might not know better.
        And you're just the guy to protect the bunnies!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka1

the relative constancy of the worldwide rate argues that it is almost extirely strictly genetics (and that humans are an extremely homogeneous species).
          Extremely homogeneous species?

Once again you are making things up. The rate of genetic disease tends to vary greatly around the globe.

I'm going to google the first genetic disease the pops into my head.

Ok it's Cystic Fibrosis.

Although technically a rare disease, cystic fibrosis is ranked as one of the most widespread life-shortening genetic diseases. It is most common among nations in the Western world. An exception is Finland, where only one in 80 people carry a CF mutation. In the United States, 1 in 4,000 children are born with CF. In 1997, about 1 in 3,300 caucasian children in the United States was born with cystic fibrosis. In contrast, only 1 in 15,000 African American children suffered from cystic fibrosis, and in Asian Americans the rate was even lower at 1 in 32,000.
          What about color blindness?

Prevalence of congenital colour blindness among Inuit in East Greenland.

RESULTS: Only 1.0% of male Inuit (3/290) are colour blind, a significantly lower incidence than the 8.7% among Danish males in Denmark (15/173). The prevalence was the same in the three control groups, Danes in East Greenland, immigrants and Danes in Denmark. Deuteranopia is the most common type. Females showed the same low prevalence in all four groups.
          Pooka1 you are substantially incorrect.

Comment

OK, I know I promised I wasn't going to post anything else, but nothing I've read indicates that there *is* a relative worldwide constant rate for scoliosis. I saw a study from China listing an incidence of .064% all the way up to one from South Africa listing an incidence of 8%. I have no idea what that means in terms of genetics (and I suspect noone else here does either), but there's no point in arguing about conclusions drawn from a fact which is not in the slightest a fact.

As long as our children are diagnosed with Idiopathic Scoliosis, they are suffering from a disorder for which the cause, by definition, is unknown. That is the only fact in evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
              Pooka1

Extremely homogeneous species?

Once again you are making things up. The rate of genetic disease tends to vary greatly around the globe.

I'm going to google the first genetic disease the pops into my head.

Ok it's Cystic Fibrosis.

What about color blindness?

Prevalence of congenital colour blindness among Inuit in East Greenland.

Pooka1 you are substantially incorrect.
              Are you as sure of this mode of reasoning as you are that you can save Dr. Ogilvie 20 years of wasted research?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

http://books.google.com/books?id=-VK...humans&f=false

Suggest you read the section, "Human Diversity Today". Johanson is a prominent physical anthropologist.

Then think about what you wrote above.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lrg...page&q&f=false

The deal appears to be that the high degree of genetic homogeneity in humans is due both to humans as a species being relatively new (~150,000 years) and there being some probable evidence for a bottle neck in the population ~50,000 years ago.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Dr. Kiester) The more active the better. The natural incidence of scoliosis is falling. I believe it is a function of increased girl participation in sports, and increased obesity (which reduces scoliosis to a degree in some cases by moving the center of gravity forward away from the spine).
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...hlight=kiester

So Dr. Kiester, an orthopedic surgeon doing research of scoliosis at UC Irvine, believes that the natural incidence of scoliosis is falling....he thinks due to obesity. I ran across a medical article that said the use of forceps in delivery had been falling over the past couple of decades. Perhaps hidden trauma associated with forceps births has been decreasing due to that and therefore the incidence of scoliosis in athletes is also falling. Interestingly, neither one of those ideas would be considered genetic. And why would a genetic trait be decreasing anyway?

I guess the alpha-scientists will need to show Dr. Kiester what's what and put him in his place for not following the accepted scoliosis research agenda these days.
                      Last edited by Ballet Mom; 02-01-2011, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        As regards "deep" trait which I did make up but I think recalls something I read... scoliosis goes back to at least Turkana Boy (1.6 millions years old). I'm also no physical anthropologist but that sounds pretty deep to me.
                        Turkana Boy is believed to have had spina bifida and other pathological conditions. Spina bifida is a birth defect that can cause scoliosis .

Extensive evidence from mouse strains with spina bifida indicates that there is sometimes a genetic basis for the condition. In human spina bifida, as with other human diseases such as cancer, hypertension and atherosclerosis (coronary artery disease), spina bifida likely results from the interaction of multiple genes and environmental factors.

Research has shown that lack of folic acid (folate) is a contributing factor in the pathogenesis of neural tube defects, including spina bifida. Supplementation of the mother's diet with folate can reduce the incidence of neural tube defects by about 70 percent, and can also decrease the severity of these defects when they occur.[16][17][18] It is unknown how or why folic acid has this effect.

Spina bifida does not follow direct patterns of heredity like muscular dystrophy or haemophilia. Studies show that a woman who has had one child with a neural tube defect such as spina bifida, has about a three percent risk of having another child with a neural tube defect. This risk can be reduced to about one percent if the woman takes high doses (4 mg/day) of folic acid before and during pregnancy. For the general population, low-dose folic acid supplements are advised (0.4 mg/day).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spina_bifida
                        It sounds to me that the environmental factors far outweigh any genetic basis of spina bifida.
                        Last edited by Ballet Mom; 02-01-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                          hey Maria
                          sounds good...
                          i've been known to stop in to a pub or two...especially while waiting in Penn Station for chronically late Amtrak....

maybe we could get together in the spring...
                          'cause are due to get 7 more inches tonite/tomorrow...then ice on Wednesday...
                          i saw that NYC is due to get one inch of snow, then some"mixed precipitation"....

i bet the Ground Hog is too freaked to come out of his cave on Wednesday....
                          and that is part of Sparky's birthday celebration!
                          (can't believe he'll be an old man of 4)

jess
                          It's a date, Jess! You will be hearing from me come Spring (if it ever gets here), I promise.

And an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sparky from me and Jackie (she will be 2 on June 18th - time flies)!
                          mariaf305@yahoo.com
                          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                            Turkana Boy is believed to have had spina bifida and other pathological conditions. Spina bifida is a birth defect that can cause scoliosis . .
                            Reference?

I posted a reference in an earlier thread that it was scoliosis. How can they even surmise spina bifida in Turkana boy?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                              Reference?

I posted a reference in an earlier thread that it was scoliosis. How can they even surmise spina bifida in Turkana boy?
                              http://fiu.academia.edu/DanielWescot...ariokotome_Boy

Comment

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...uman-evolution

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X