No announcement yet.

My Turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy folks... I'm back from the dead. ;-)

I hav yet to read any of the posts, but thanks very much for the support. I cam home yesterday, 5 days from entry. If I keep mup with my meds, the pain doesn't get too bad. Keepping up isn't as easy as it sunds. It was a realy rough night last night, but I'll hopefullly be better preapared tonight.

I'll wright again when I'm a little more with it.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Welcome back!!! The neighborhood just isn't the same without you!!!!

Good luck on a better tonight. We're all thinking of you, coast to coast, and around the world.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I was just about to post asking if anyone had an update and here you are. Glad you're back and are recovering at home now. :-)
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hi...

It's daylight here, and I made it through that horrid first night at home. If you've been there before, you probably know what I mean.

I'd like to tel you that I'm pain free, but that's not really the truth. It really isn't bad if I change positions (sitting, standing, and laying down), every hour. That's a tougher job than I remembered. Switching positions to stay comfortable in bed is especially tough. Usually, once I'm up and around, the pain is totally tolerable.

The issue I had with grogginess is apparently one of too much proponol built up in my fat tissues. The nerve monitoring folks flood the system with proponol whenever they do a nerve monitoring test, so that the patient doesn't jump off the table. In most people it's not a problem, but when you have a surgeon trying to be 100% certain that he's doing the right thing, this can happen. It was truly a trip, and was a little scary at times. But, as I started to come out of it and could tell I was getting better, I was fairly certain that it was not going to be anything permanent.

Anyway, now on to healing. Thanks for everyone's kind notes and calls. They really did help.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had no regrets

Hi Linda,

I never regretted being fused to the sacrum and I am still pain free--age 68--8 years post revision. I have great expectations for you also.

I remember you helping me 8 years ago when I presented my situation to you on the original forum.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hey Linda
              did you hear that sound?
              it was a big sigh of relief, in every country people know you...which means many people!

so glad you are out of the hospital and will have whatever you need, in a homey place!

thoughts and prayers stay with you, til you are recovered...
              i am so sorry that you had some rough nites...
              5 days is so early....i know with healing, you will feel more and more like your old, but straighter and improved, self..

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                hey Linda
                did you hear that sound?
                it was a big sigh of relief, in every country people know you...which means many people!

jess
                Some sighs and a couple of loud "Woo Hoo's" !!

Welcome back, Linda!
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

Very good that you are back home!

My one kid was thrown for a loop, perhaps by the anesthesia, but her twin was not. Go figure.

We were like a rudderless ship here without you. (smiley face)
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Linda--
                    So wonderful to see you posted and are back with us! I hope every night will be increasingly easier and that the healing may begin! Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      Howdy folks... I'm back from the dead. ;-)

I hav yet to read any of the posts, but thanks very much for the support. I cam home yesterday, 5 days from entry. If I keep mup with my meds, the pain doesn't get too bad. Keepping up isn't as easy as it sunds. It was a realy rough night last night, but I'll hopefullly be better preapared tonight.

I'll wright again when I'm a little more with it.

--Linda
                      Linda, I'm glad to hear you are back from the dead. It tickles me to see your spelling under drugs. I am amazed that you are even able to post. It took me days to figure out my simple cell phone. I hope the pain recedes soon for you and you can get a good nights sleep.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

That's pretty impressive that you are able to be on the board with just having had major surgery! Good job!

Comment

Feel better! I'm glad last night was a little better. As I remember it, early recovery wasn't one steady improvement but more like 2 steps forward, 1 step back, etc. Take care of yourself!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glad you're okay. Hang in there and keep us posted!
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Sending best wishes form Australia and I hope every night is a little easier than the one before. You're doing well to be typing this early out!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Welcome back, Linda. Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery!
                                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                                X