Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Revision Surgery

Hello,

I had my original scolisis surgery in 1985 done by Dr. Erwin in Houston. The Harrington Rod was discovered broken 10 years ago, but not sure what was the cause. The last few years I have been having issues with pain in my lower back and sciatica pain in my right leg. I saw Dr. Hanson a month ago and had a myelogram done a couple of weeks ago. He has recommended fusing the remainder of my back because of degeneration taking place, He also said that a pinched nerve is causing my right leg pain, and the opening in my spine where the nerve exits is much smaller due to the degeneration. My surgery is scheduled for March 10th. I will be glad when I have less pain, but not looking forward to the surgery. One problem I have been having is that my right hip has been hurting, and the pain has increased recently. Not sure if it is due to the cold fronts coming down my way. Has anyone else had a similar issue as mine? It hurts most when I first get up from sitting, or when I am going up stairs. I feel like the pain is wearing me down quick and making me get tired quickly. Dont know if this is due to the back problems, and I am praying it goes away in the future after the surgery.

Thanks,

Jerry

revision

Hi, like you I need revision surgery, (in the spring), my first was 2002, and like you I have pain in left hip, most of my pain is on left side, and down leg, I was told the hip pain is due to the back, and it is starting on the right side of my hip, and I hope yours goes away after surgery and mine also, good luck with your surgery. LU

Comment

Revision

P.S. Jerry, Who is doing your surgery, and where are you from, Lu

Comment

Originally posted by Lue View Post
        P.S. Jerry, Who is doing your surgery, and where are you from, Lu
        I am in Houston, and Dr. Darrell Hanson will be doing my surgery.

Comment

Revision

again good luck, Lu

Comment

Revision Surgery

Jerry/Lue, I just had revision surgery 4.5 weeks ago. It was for the same reason. I never had sciatica but I had the horrendous left/right hip pain, going down the buttocks. It was constant. Turning and getting out of bed was torture. The left side much worse than the right. My waist felt like a belt was always on the tightest loop - it was just terrible. I had my first surgery in 1981 but due to degeneration of the lower discs, I had to have revision surgery with new rods, cages, and spinal fusion to the sacrum. They took out the old Harrington Rod in the lower back. It was sucessful and I'm so glad I did it. I do not have that constant pain now, only surgical pain, which will eventually go away. Good luck. I hear good things about Dr. Hansen. Lynn
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have asked my doctor to remove the broken rod because when my upper back hurts, it is in the area of the break. Another problem I am having is that the fusion is slowly making me lean forwards when I walk. The doctor said he could make a few notches in the fusion to help me walk straight. I told him to please do it all now, because I do not want to have to go through the surgery again. I am planning to do the autotransfusion so that they will use my own blood. Also I am concerned about the bathroom problem that many people have posted about recently. I took stool softeners after my first surgery and it helped. The think that I am looking forward to the least is the pain after the surgery. I remember it well from the original surgery and hope that it will not be as bad since they are fusing a smaller section of my back (because they fused most of it the first time).

Comment

Working...
              X