Magnesium??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Foofer,

Every morning I mix 1 cup oats with 2 cups of water, add in a spoonful of rye flour (containing lot's of phytase which neutralizes phytic acid) and a spoonful of yogurt, whey or lemon juice to lower the pH of the water solution allowing the bacteria (working under low pH) to produce lactic acid (good for intestines) and to neutralize the phytic acid in the grain with phytase.
    I do exactly the same thing with rice

In general wheat and rye contain high levels of phytase, but many grains don't have a high enough level of phytase to neutralize the phytic acid, that's why I add rye flour.

If you are interested in learning more about it, I can recommend this article
    http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_...ooth_decay.htm

One book I can recommend especially for what you are doing is the book by Sally Fallon "Nourishing traditions" It going into detail about all these things and is loaded with recipes aimed toward nourishing the body.

I hope that answers some of your questions. I myself am very interested in figuring out how to strengthen cartilage, bone and the rest of the body, by nutrition.

Comment

Thanks, Christian,

Cooking is getting so complicated. Sigh....
      Amy
      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
      Exercising to correct

Comment

Good to hear.

I continue to feel great and sleep great (far less jerking awake) - I think it is making my muscles relax. I have not gotten perceptably taller yet (that's my guage). Since starting my "strengthening while stretching" routine, I'm up over a half inch (consistently - night or day). (I believe it is very important to strengthen the core (not just stretch.) But, I've only been taking the magnesium about 4 weeks. I can't take multi vitamins since they make me feel toxic (sluggish) and nauseous.

Originally posted by mehera View Post
        I'm also feeling better than I have in years. But it's really hard to say what combination of things is helping me the most. I'm taking magnesium, but along with a multi vitamin, calcium, D3, glucosamine, and fish oil. I've also altered my diet slightly. And I've been stretching on the inversion table and doing some Schroth exercises. Oh and I changed my sleeping position, and a bunch of other postural work. I don't see any practical way to determine what is actually making a difference so I figure it's worth the price of the vitamins. Even if its just a placebo affect I'll take it.

Comment

Melatonin

That's interesting, I've not heard that mentioned before. I took melatonin for a months to help sleep (a couple years ago before I knew my back was crooked). I started having more and more trouble coming out of the fog during the day. I decreased to 1 mg and then stopped. I would recommend taking the least amount necessary to help fall asleep.

Originally posted by kidbusiness2 View Post
          I take 9 mg. of melatonin a night. Dr. took me off of other sleep meds. due to side effects so I decided to use melatonin and now in the research i've been doing its saying lots of people who have scoliosis have a melatonin deficiency.

Comment

melatonin

Yes, it does help you sleep. It is normally produced by the body and sorta tells you when to go to sleep (like the borg). Take as little as needed - start with 1mg. About 10/15 min after taking it you should feel like going to sleep. The "go to sleep window" is very short about 15 minutes. So don't take it until you plan to sleep. This is my personal experience - everythng hits me very fast. I don't know about using it nightly - but, as an aid to help during sleepless periods.

Originally posted by darrin90
            Does melatonin make you sleep better? What dosage are you taking each night? Did you go to a doctor before taking melatonin?

Comment

i was never helped by any of those "natural" sleep aids...

but there is a new book..."The 4 Hour Body" by Timothy Ferris, and it mentions poppy seed oil mixed with water to help with sleep...
              also something called a "nitewave," they sell that beams a blue lite on the ceiling that you time your breathing to, and it helps you fall asleep...

am thinking of trying both those things...

does anyone have any experience with either of them?

jess

Comment

jrnyc,

I would think that the "poppy seed oil" would give you a narcotic effect. My pediatricians nurse warned me that the kids were buying perfectly legal poppy seeds in large quantities and boiling them into a tea. When the kids drink it, it can cause severe respiratory depression and death. I would be careful.

Addressing the rest of this conversation,

As for magnesium, I took it while pregnant to slow preterm labor contractions. Magnesium is also has a laxative effect along with the muscle relaxation properties. I don't know what effect, if any, it had on my scoliosis as I wasn't monitoring at that time.

Melatonin GIVES me restless leg. It's aweful!
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Melatonin

That is interesting. I took melatonin a while back due to bizarre periods of 3-4 weeks at a time, where I had a hard time sleeping. It worked great but after awhile, I felt sorta nervous during the day like I couldn't snap out of it. I gradually decreased from 3mg to 1mg and then stopped taking it. For, me I would only use it for one night on occasion.

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  jrnyc,

I would think that the "poppy seed oil" would give you a narcotic effect. My pediatricians nurse warned me that the kids were buying perfectly legal poppy seeds in large quantities and boiling them into a tea. When the kids drink it, it can cause severe respiratory depression and death. I would be careful.

Addressing the rest of this conversation,

As for magnesium, I took it while pregnant to slow preterm labor contractions. Magnesium is also has a laxative effect along with the muscle relaxation properties. I don't know what effect, if any, it had on my scoliosis as I wasn't monitoring at that time.

Melatonin GIVES me restless leg. It's aweful!

Comment

hey rohrer
                    good to hear from you...i hope nothing bad brought you back here...

interesting about the poppy seed oil...i wasn't going to try it...but sounds like it could have some strong effects....
                    what i might try is the blue lite thing, to synchronize breathing at nite...

i can't take melatonin...has never done a thing for me...
                    there are a few other herbal things my hormone doc suggested...inositol, maybe..something like that (she has a website)....i had bad dreams, tossed and turned, woke up with a headache...tried one more time and just got the headache...wasn't worth it to me...
                    i kinda need an actual sleeping pill to get me to sleep....the older i get, the less i sleep...

jess

Comment

Thanks for the welcome back. Nothing worse than where I was brought me back. I just missed talking to people who understand me. I have to take knock-out stuff to sleep as well.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                      X