No announcement yet.

Leg pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kristy pretty much said it all. Any residual effects of the fusion to pelvis, are nothing in comparison to continual pain. I hope we and others, can help ease your mind somewhat on the fusion to pelvis aspect, Jess.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks Kristy...for the descriptions, and the reassurances...
      and thank you, Jenn, for same....

i guess it is difficult to imagine how people are after surgery, without seing it up close...or watching someone move after they have healed...
      the best i do is imagine it...

but i deeply appreciate your kind efforts...

wishing you a healthy and happy 2011
      jess

Comment

thnku

I am sorry to hear you are having leg pain. I have suffered from leg/&nerve pain for the last 15 years. I also have disc degeneration in my lower back, lower disc's. I have tried many different things, nothing is working. Never had surgery for my scoliosis. I think I need to have another MRI. My leg pain is mostly on the LEFT side and down. Starts in my left buttock and runs down to my foot off and on. I ALSO have arthristis/bersitis in my LEFT hip already which gives me quite a bit of pain. I am glad to hear that many other people are experiencing what i am though and that i'm not alone. BEcause it often seems like a lonely battle!

Comment

some people get help with nerve related pain with neurontin...
          it never helped me, but i know it has helped others
          the trouble is, it can make you really sleepy...so if you have to drive, go to work, etc, that is an issue...

i have yet to find anything that helps disc pain besides oral pain meds (or limited use of steroids)...
          i got 3 weeks of glorious pain free time with a sacroiliac joint injection...that was it...

nothing has helped my sciatica yet, either...

i hope others have better luck...

jess

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone, for all the responses!

My leg pain is the right leg and now I'm pretty sure it's sciatica. Looked up the dermatome and it could have been a diagram of me. Mine's from listhesis at L3/L4, I'm pretty sure. In my case it's about a "2" most of the time, but if I stand or walk slowly (think shopping) for a long time, it creeps up: 4,5,6, okay time to lay on the couch!

I am calling Dr. Lenke's office this week and will schedule surgery (again). But I'm sure I'll have to wait over a year. If it gets debilitating before that, I will go with Dr. Bridwell or whoever will have me!

Now it's time to lose those extra pounds and start my "training" for surgery!

Jess, I can vouch for Kristy that she is tiny and not robot-like at all. Very inspiring, actually! And Bridwell told me that I will be "T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation." That's what you're talking about, right?

Thanks again everyone,
            Evelyn

P.S. Mine is on the right, Ed.
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Karena,

I've never heard it could make you lose your leg. Yikes! I'll be getting to the doctor soon, thanks.

Evelyn
              age 48
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Hi Evelyn - I had leg pain before my first surgery and then numbness. It was due to my spondylolisthesis at L4-L5. After my first surgery the leg pain and numbness were completely gone. I just wish I would have known about Bridwell back then because, although I have not asked him, he probably would have fixed everything in one surgery. But because I had the first surgery, I think that is why he didn't have to end up going all the way to the pelvis and could just fuse me to L1, keeping L2 and L3. Anyway, if you start to get numbness you should probably think about moving up surgery. Sasso told me I could end up with permanent nerve damage if I didn't get the spondy fixed. Good luck. If you end up with an appt the end of Feb, let me know and we can ride over together. My next Bridwell checkup is Feb 28.
                Age 56
                Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                Thoracic 68
                Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                Dr Bridwell St Louis
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

hi Ev
                  yup, i need T4-pelvis, but we agreed on T11-pelvis if i keep going for botox shots in thoracic area...

i need "pelvic fixation," so they may call it going to S1, but if you need pelvic fixation, and i don't know if all who go to sacrum do, then it is like fusion to pelvis in my book...

thanks for the encouragement...
                  i have never met anyone with fusion to pelvis, and i think that would help...just to watch them move...
                  because to me, fusion to pelvis is different than fusion to L2 or L4...

jess

Comment

Thanks, Lisa. I'll aim for Feb. 28th and let you know if I get the same date!

Evelyn
                    age 48

Comment

Working...
                    X