Mandy got the " ALL CLEAR" report!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandy got the " ALL CLEAR" report!!

Mandy had been running a low grade fever and had some back pain so we have been to see Dr Purvis twice in the last month. (She had surgery Jan 14th) I am thrilled to announce that he gave her the wonder "all clear resume all activities" report!!! NO LIMITATIONS at all. (We think the fever was due to the 4 , 12 year molars she was cutting)
    I am so thrilled with how she has done. Did not expect this report until Jan but he did new films and flexon bending etc and seems VERY happy with her.
    She can run and jump and be a normal 12 year old girl. Honestly though, she will never be that. Never return to what she was before the diagnosis a year ago. She has grown up so much and had to deal with so much . I mourn her lost youth and innocence about pain and illness, while thanking GOD for the wonderful medical care she received . Can't say enough good things about The Univ. of Mississippi Medical Center Batson Children's Hospital and Dr John Purvis and staff.
    May you all have a very blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas season. I am always available to talk if anyone has questions .
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Wow.. Thanksgiving has taken on new meaning for you.. how wonderful that your daughter is completely healed! That is truly something to be thankful for. Good news!

Comment

I hope Mandy feels better soon, but glad to hear your good news! DD is a month behind Mandy so really looking forward to that. She already doesn't seem that much stands in her way anymore. She did some PT after her 6 month check and is stronger and straighter more after that!

Wishing Mandy a wonderful future!

Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

One year post op!!

Today is Mandy's one year anniversary. She is doing GREAT!! Very few complaints.
        The films were taken a month or so ago, and her first film is also attached . ( I drew the line for my non medical family to be able to SEE the curvatures)
        Anyone want to comment?
        l.nJFjDIAbfypdtQsy.jpg
        t.McsSfCZkqaXYbWRa.jpg
        l.ZMMykMosvcrZIgSi.jpg
        The one thing I don't get, is how the rods can be straight and her spine still be curved? Does this make sense? Don't the rods follow the sides of the vertebrae? Are the rods flexible?
        Last edited by ArabianFancy; 01-14-2011, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabianFancy View Post
          Today is Mandy's one year anniversary. She is doing GREAT!! Very few complaints.
          The films were taken a month or so ago, and her first film is also attached . ( I drew the line for my non medical family to be able to SEE the curvatures)
          Anyone want to comment?
          [ATTACH]911[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH]912[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH]913[/ATTACH]
          The one thing I don't get, is how the rods can be straight and her spine still be curved? Does this make sense? Don't the rods follow the sides of the vertebrae? Are the rods flexible?
          Hi...

Your daughter's spine still has small curves because they didn't attach the rods at every level.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda. I hated to sound dumb , was just looking at the film and wondered.
            I guess I expected it to be perfectly straight and had never thought to ask her Dr.

Comment

Just from my lay reading and what happened with my daughters, I think final post-op curves depend at least on the following at least in some case:

1. flexibility of the spine - how much can it physically be straightened (without osteotomies)

2. magnitude of the curve - how much it can be safely straightened, surgeon judgment

3. type of curve - there are very complex (to my mind) considerations about how much to correct and what should the lowest instrumented vertebra be and that can be different for different types of curves. They are trying to get a good correction without going any longer than they have to and avoid vertebra later "adding on" to the curve. Plus there is a range of opinion among surgeons apparently. So there is probably no way any of us bunnies can hope to figure out this complex set of considerations.

4. balance in all planes - if straight means unbalanced then I think they opt for not straight. This might be the key to long-term stability of the fusion. This seems very dependent on surgeon artistry which might reduce to experience.

Hooks versus screws is not relevant to correction in the coronal plane as I understand it. That is both achieve similar correction in the frontal plane. That is more relevant to the de-rotation issue.

Glad your daughter is doing well.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Good news! glad she has a positive outcome....and wow x-rays show good correction.

Just thinking if I was you, I would exhale and then do a little dance of celebration.
                age 15
                Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                T20 l23 10-09
                T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

please pray for Mandy

Mandy's health is fine but our ranch was totally destroyed by an F4 tornado Wednesday. She is pretty shaken up but lucky to be alive and have our home still standing! Prayers for us and everyone affected please!

Comment

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your ranch but glad that your family are unhurt. We've been hearing about the sad destruction throughout your area. It follows on from a disastrous Summer in Australia with floods, cyclones and bushfires so it feels quite close to home. Best of luck with your re-building.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm so sorry. Sending prayers your way!
                      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
                      X