No announcement yet.

Horseback Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought about this thread as I was riding today trying to maintain neutral spine every microsecond in every gait and in every transition between gaits.

I would not be shocked if people with long fusions that essentially locked them into neutral spine would have a huge advantage. Huge.

I'd have to see data before I would say it is so huge as to be unfair but again, I would not be surprised if people with long fusions mastered dressage much faster than the average person. It's all posture (and timing).
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm thankful for this post!

I am so happy for you... and for the good news! I have put off fusion for years because I thought I wouldn't be able to ride afterward. I have ridden all my life and have barrel raced, tried to rope (my attempts were comical but I had a lot of fun), team penned, a little reining and cutting-- basically I liked the speed and athleticism and the unity of thought and purpose it all required. I LOVED that. I haven't been able to ride for a little while now because of my back-- you know-- one bad move and all of a sudden I'm locked up and can't move, even to get off the horse. Scary for me and for the horse.

Anyway, I can't put it off anymore, so I'm having surgery (t3? to pelvis) and these posts have lifted my spirits so much! I don't care if I can only trail ride and lope circles, I'm fine with that! I just need to ride again. My horses aren't really what you'd call super gentle, but they seem to know I'm fragile and they're really careful with me now.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this. I am so happy for you being able to do this and wanted you to know what an inspiration you are for me and others.

Did you have any trouble getting on? I've heard it is hard to lean forward after fusion and wondered if I'd be able to get a foot in the stirrup and step up!

Comment

reply to laurie anne

our bed is quite high and would have been difficult to climb into as well as roll out of so i slept on a couch or in the lift chair that i rented for the 1st 2 months postop; i returned to the bed after about 5 weeks but using a small step stool to help getting in
        junosand
        59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
        schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
        with titanium cages
        Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Working...
        X