No announcement yet.

So glad I found you guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent news! I can't wait to see the post-op radiographs!

You'll be home in a scant few days!
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Brilliant! Thanks for letting us all know. Hope you two can now rest and look towards the future, with the worst of this now over. Best wishes to Elias for a smooth recovery.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Look Ma... no halo!!
        Attached Files
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• He looks so comfortable! He's such a beautiful child. I am so glad your family finally caught this break.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Thanks Sharon, I think he's beautiful too but I'm obviously biased. ;-)

Look how pink he looks already. I myself am tickled pink, and check out those even shoulders.

A couple of interesting things: his bone, no idea which one bled (didn't know bones bled either) a little more than in his first surgery and apparently that is common when traction is used. No idea why though but it's something to look up. They used half of his blood that was contained in the cell saver, so no additional blood was used.

Also, both me and Elias (14) had to sign a consent form to allow the person who was in the OR with the implants to give them to the surgeon to use b/c they do not store the implants on site. Linda, do you know why this is? I have my suspicion but it's just a guess.

Comment

• so happy for you both that the surgery is behind you. what a long road you've had getting here! best wishes for a smooth recovery!

bones are where the bone marrow is: where blood products are formed. hard on the outside, soft on the inside, especially in children. for example, people can have substantial blood loss with large fractures. not uncommon and sounds like they were on it with the use of the cell saver in the OR.

i hope you both have a peaceful night.
              Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
              currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
              11/10 TLSO Full Time
              4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
              12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
              VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
              10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

• Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                Thanks Sharon, I think he's beautiful too but I'm obviously biased. ;-)

Look how pink he looks already. I myself am tickled pink, and check out those even shoulders.

A couple of interesting things: his bone, no idea which one bled (didn't know bones bled either) a little more than in his first surgery and apparently that is common when traction is used. No idea why though but it's something to look up. They used half of his blood that was contained in the cell saver, so no additional blood was used.

Also, both me and Elias (14) had to sign a consent form to allow the person who was in the OR with the implants to give them to the surgeon to use b/c they do not store the implants on site. Linda, do you know why this is? I have my suspicion but it's just a guess.
                It's common procedure for the mfr's rep to be in the OR. Some hospitals require the consent, just to cover themselves should a suit arise.

Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• he is a beautiful child...young man...looks angelic sleeping, without the halo!

i have heard others on forum express surprise about bones bleeding...i learned about it happening from a surgeon, and from others on forum...

hope Elias' recovery gets easier as the days go by, and that you'll both be home, safe and sound, very soon!

jess

Comment

• Congratulations Elias and Elsa. You did it!

You have so much to look forward to now. Smooth sailing from here on in!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Oh Elisa,

I am thrilled to hear that surgery is over and went so well. Elias is a beautiful child as Sharon said, and he looks very good in the first photo. Good color!

I can't wait to see his new x-ray!

Keep us posted,
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• I am so glad to hear that all went well. I am in CA getting ready to leave for my appt with Dr Bederman

Melissa

Comment

• Elisa, I'm so glad for Elias. God love him, I feel his pain just seeing that photo. Here's to a smooth, low-pain recovery and a very healthy, painless and active long life!
                          Female, age 38
                          4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                          currently 64*upper/40*lower
                          Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                          now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

• Just remarkable. Bless everyone that made this happen. Elias is one strong young man, and Elisa... you are unbelievable! All the best, LYNN
                            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                            2000 Partial Rod Removal
                            2001 Right Scapular Resection
                            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

• Before & After X-Rays!! O_O

Here they are! And thanks so much everyone; you've all been so incredibly helpful and encouraging.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• That's just amazing.

Elias probably now holds the record for largest percent decrease in Cobb angle on this (or any) forum.

Release and traction... more than just a good idea... :-)

This entire episode is almost over.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X