Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Removal

Hey everyone,

I have been in severe pain ever since my rods have been put in (1.5 years ago) and am considering having my hardware removed.

1) Has anyone had their hardware removed?

2) If so, did the curve come back?

3) What was recovery like?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Rods

Hi, My rods are in 8 years, I do not feel them, I forget I have them. But since then I did get flatback, and I also have a twist, shift, I need revision surgery for flatback, I hate to think what I would be like without the rods in place. I had first surgery at 59, I wished I did surgery when I was 25 or 30. good luck, Lu

Comment

Originally posted by crystalalice88 View Post
      Hey everyone,

I have been in severe pain ever since my rods have been put in (1.5 years ago) and am considering having my hardware removed.

1) Has anyone had their hardware removed?

2) If so, did the curve come back?

3) What was recovery like?

Any help would be appreciated!!
      Hi...

Do a search on the word REMOVAL, and you'll find a lot of other threads on the topic.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Crystal

You poor thing. I’m so sorry. I wish I could absorb some of your pain somehow....

If you decide to do this, let us know how you are doing.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Crystalalice. I remember you from "my" surgery time. I can't answer any of your questions but I just wanted to say how very sorry I am to hear of your continuing pain. Whatever you decide, I hope you get the relief you most certainly deserve. Please let us know how you go.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Does your surgeon agree that the rods causing the problem?

Melissa

Comment

I'll let you know what recovery is like in a few weeks. I was fused T-3 to L-3 8/09, and am having my hardware removed on Tues.
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

hi crystalalice
                i am so sorry to hear that you regret the surgery!!
                have you seen another surgeon for another opinion...?
                is there any chance some kind of a revision would help??...
                i know it doesn't sound inviting to have yet another surgery, but there are some folks here on forum who had revision & did really well afterwards...

hope you can find a surgeon/doctor who can help you!

jess

Comment

I am sooo sorry that you are going threw this nightmare too. Yes i said too.
                  I had rods and fusion done in 05 and have been 100X worse on pain since my surgery.
                  Pain meds are my breakfast, lunch and dinner now. I cannot do 1/2 of the stuff i used to do. In short my quality of life is a wreck!
                  And i too was considering having my hardware removed. Surgeon said he could do it if i wanted but he would not recommend it.
                  I wrote the group about this and got a great referral for a Dr. who knew what he was dealing with and studied under Dr. Bridwell.
                  He told me " NEVER has removal of hardware helped the level of pain, in my experience". He did order more test and it showed the vertabrae that were not fused were showing signs of Herniation and arthridic. So after seeing another surgeon who said the same thing, they came up with fusing the bad disc.
                  Having it done next month.
                  I guess in short is what i am saying, I to was 100% sure that this hardware needed to come out. And if i didn't get it done i was going to loose my mind.
                  Gonna try this revision. Please seek another opionon with a Doc who specializes in the spine and deformatis in it.
                  Good luck and let me know what you decide to do.
                  Scuba Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X