No announcement yet.

8 week checkup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evelyn - 6 months post op so 4 months from now; feb 28.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

walking

sounds like you're continuing to do great; i'm impressed with the 2 miles; i wanted to ask: where do you walk and do you do the 2 miles at one time or break it up (e.g. 1/2 miles, 4 times a day)?
      junosand
      59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
      schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
      with titanium cages
      Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Hi Junosand! I have a treadmill and at 5 weeks post op Bernie told me I could start using it. Before that I could only walk outside or around the house. Before the treadmill I would walk outside on nice days. At that point I was working up to a mile. We live on a pond and the block that goes around the pond is 3/4 mi so that was my first goal. Usually I broke it up into 2 walks. With the treadmill, if the weather is crappy I usually do the 2 miles all at once while I watch tv. No land speed records; I'm up to 20 min miles but my very first mile took 35 minutes. Today was sunny but chilly and i took the dog for a walk on a .8 mi route and then later did 1.2 mi on the treadmill. Next week I'll try to add 1/4 mi a week as Dr Bridwell wants me up to 3 mi by the end of Nov and then just keep around 3 mi. I would imagine with 3 miles I'll break it up. A treadmill really helps, especially since we're fast approaching winter here in Indiana. Keep up the good progress. Things get a little better each week. I think after about 6 weeks you will notice a big difference. My big thing is that even though I now feel pretty normal, I still am not supposed to bend, twist or lift over 10 pounds and when you feel good ir's hard to remember that. And my knees and thighs are getting sore from squatting so much instead of bending! My daughter is an anesthesiology resident and she keeps fiving me pep talks.
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Lisa,
          I think you are doing amazingly well.

Junosand,
          I will have the issue of getting in several walks a day in Jan., Feb., Mar. when the weather can be lousy in IL. I am planning on getting a ride to the Y, which is about 7 miles from our house, for one of my daily walks on the indoor track. My other idea is to go to my school where I taught for 33 years and still substitute to ask for a key so that I can go once before school and once after school on cold, winter days. I would imagine that you might have some connections to get permission to walk inside of a public school. I just can't see making myself dizzy (and bored) walking laps in our house after I'm doing well enough for longer walks.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

hi Karen
            would you consider a YWCA?....they have a pool, for gentle stuff, when you can get in the water...and treadmills, etc...

just a thought...

wishes for a smooth surgery and uneventful recovery...

jess

Comment

Hi, Jess,
              The YMCA that I belong to has a swimming pool. I intend to use it once I get approval for at least walking in the water following surgery. I would like to eventually get water therapy if I can find someone trained in dealing with fused spines. I will have to depend upon someone driving me there until I will be able to drive. I have a lot of friends that I am pretty sure will pick me up when they go to the Y. I also need to get my husband back to the Y, (he is a member, also, but seldom goes) so maybe getting me there will get him back into exercising. I like to swim, but only do so when we are on a vacation because of my crooked back. I think the scar will bother me less than the crooked back. I am going to think of the scar as a badge of courage.
              Thanks, Jess, for your suggestion. I just bought an Ipod and am going to start putting some music on it for my hospital stay and post surgery walks. I bought a relaxation CD that I am going to put on it, also. I am just trying to get prepared as the date gets closer and closer. Yikes! I'm getting nervous.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
              X