Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Recliner/regular recliner/bed/couch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed's right, mine is starting to compress now, so am on the lookout for latex memory foam. They seem to have only lately arrived in this far off land. But the old one has served me well for about 7 years.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

The memory foam I bought is 100% polyurethane.

Should I look for latex memory foam? I really didn't know there was a difference. Glad you brought it up.

Also, should the bed be higher off the floor than a regular bed frame? They do sell blocks for the legs of the bed.

Thanks.
      Irene

Comment

2 to 4 inches thick, non corrugated

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...rchtype=Header

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,
          Thanks. I'll return the topper I purchased and buy one out of latex. I never opened the box.

Irene

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I know that no matter how hard I try to buy things to provide comfort, that I will be uncomfortable at times. There is no easy way to recover from this surgery, but whatever helps, I will try! Thanks, again.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

My bed was really high and would have required a stool or books. I traded with a neighbor for a few inches lower in box springs. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to log roll and not fall off a cliff. I hope I didn't make a mistake.
              Chris, Austin, TX
              80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
              Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
              C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
              New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
              Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

This is a great thread, even for me who had the operation so many years ago. I so appreciate the little hints to further comfort, thank you guys, you are just so wonderful.

Lorraine.
                Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

chairs

i'm now a little over 3 wks postop; i rented ($150/mo) a "lift chair" from a local surgical supply and have been sleeping in it about 1/2 the time; i cover it with 2 layers of egg shell crate type foam and good pillows as well; if i had forgotten even a little why i married my wife, i have it now front and center in my attention; my deepest sympathies to the woman with the husband who still expects her to cook
                  junosand
                  59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                  schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                  with titanium cages
                  Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

After Surgery Comfort

Hi Karen!

Wow, we all ARE very different in our preferences! After my first surgery 5 years ago, I rented a hospital bed and it was a life saver! I could be more independant as I could raise/lower the foot/back whenever I pleased to find a more comfortable spot. I'm not a flat on my back sleeper, and always like somewhat of an incline. My hubby tried adding a homemade wooden incline support underneath the top mattress, but I didn't like it that way ALL THE TIME. As soon as I got my disability back pay I went out and bought two Tempur-pedic twin beds on electric adjustable bases. My husband liked the Tempur-pedic mattress as well but if he hadn't, we could've gotten him a different type of mattress. He balked at the idea of an adjustable base for him at first, but I gently pointed out that neither of us was getting any younger, and we would surely get our money's worth. I LOVE mine and he has since had a heart attack and a hip replacement, so has used the adjustments too. He also suffers from acid reflux occasionally so always sleeps with the back slightly elevated. I also use pillows and prefer sitting with my feet elevated. I also bought an ortho seat thingy that is shaped like a wedge and has a hole in the sacral area. I use this out in my car and anyplace else where sitting can be irritating for too long. It has a leather side and a felt side and I am using it now after my revision surgery on the 13th. I put it on my bed the sleek leather side up so I can easily swivel toward the side or back into bed. Of course I elevate the back of the bed all the way up then swivel out (not twisting!) to get up. I also loved our recliners we got after the first surgery. We have since got a sectional, but one end is a chaise and the other parts can make use of the leather ottoman for foot resting. Good luck and by all means let all those folks who want to help you, help you! Nothing is more important than getting the best result possible from your surgery!
                    Sharon
                    Singing the Blues
                    Female 1951
                    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
                    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

Working...
                    X