Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Recliner/regular recliner/bed/couch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Recliner/regular recliner/bed/couch?

During the first few months of recuperation following surgery, I know that most aren't able to sit for long periods of time. Do you rest between walks in bed? That seems kind of depressing to me, even if it's just between walks.(maybe I won't feel the same after surgery) We don't have a recliner and I'm not sure that's the answer either. I found a web site that has electric recliners to rent following back surgeries. Has anyone used one of these? Maybe the bed is the answer. . . I just want our house prepared as much as possible for my return following surgery. I am planning to bring a high computer chair with arms to our family room and also add cushions to a dining room chair with arms. I will appreciate any recommendations!
    Thanks!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Hi Karen,
    I definately think a recliner designed for post back surgery sounds like a good idea. As far as laying and sitting, things didn't work out as I had thought. I actually found my most comfort in a chair after surgery. I have regular recliners that I though I would be spending alot of time, but they were uncomfortable. The only chair that ended up working for me was an old (very straight backed) rocking chair I used when my kids were babies. It was the only chair I sat in for about 3 weeks. I napped in it too a bit (my back was very swollen and laying down was uncomfortable). Also, I hadn't heard any good reviews about the hospital bed so I hadn't looked into it before surgery. But, I had alot of pain getting into and out of bed in the beginning, and couldn't do it without help. I found I needed to get into the bed on one side and out on the other too. So I ended up getting a hospital bed (we ordered it and it arrived on the same day). The bars on the sides helped me get in and out, and I liked being downstairs because I was up frequently though the night. I only used it for a few days and then I was able to get up the stairs and get in and out of bed more easily. Also, I was only in the hospital for 5 days and i think if I were there longer I wouldn't have needed it. It's just good to know you have options. I think it's hard to know what will bring comfort after surgery, so it's great to have multiple choices.
    Deb
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

At 3 weeks post op, I personally cannot stand the feeling of sitting back in a chair - I can sit up right and not have my back hit the chair, but I don't like anything touching my back unless I am laying down on it.

At first I sort of propped myself up at an angle on the couch, which was most comfortable for me. Then when my hip started bothering me I got more flat on the couch, mostly laying on my back. I can also lay on my side as long as I have a pillow underneath my ribcage. In fact that's how I sleep all of the time now - on either side, switching throughout the night.

I also do not want to be in bed much as I'd rather be out in the main area of the house, in the living room. I don't want to feel cooped up inside the bedroom.

I think though that you will find what works for you as it seems everyone is so different.

Comment

Hi Golfnut- we're all different but I didn't need anything special after surgery. For the first few weeks I would alternate between sitting, walking around the house and laying on the couch. By the end of the first month I felt comfortable sitting and walking more and quit napping. If my back got tired I would lay down for 20-30 minutes and then I was up and about. I go to St Louis for my 8 week check up this coming Monday and hopefully everything is A OK. I wouldn't buy anything special until you determine you really need it unless it's something you would buy anyway, regardless of the surgery. Maybe you could pick things out with your husband and then if you need it he would know what you want. Good Luck!
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

What about a foam topper for the bed? Ed always recommends foam. I have a Sleepnumber bed with a little padding but I can adjust the firmness.

Comment

Reclining is very difficult in the first few weeks or months after a lumbar fusion. I was most comfortable in a straight-backed armchair with a couple of pillows.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I agree with Lisa. Everyone is so different...I didn't require any special equipment or furniture after either one of my surgeries. I used my bed for the first couple of weeks, and after that I rested on my couch, mostly laying on my back. I had a brace on so it was difficult to get comfortable really anywhere. I enjoyed being in the main part of the house during the day though. Pillows are key. Any piece of furniture can be made comfy with pillows!
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Lisa,
                Let us know how your check up goes with Dr. Bridwell. I'm sure you'll get a good report.
                I called to check on the price of the electric recliner and it's only for Southern Florida, so that's out. I think I'll just have plenty of pillows ready. I found some full length "body pillows" at Walmart.

Hey, Ed! I didn't forget the foam. I ordered a memory foam topper today. The mattress is new and already pretty high from the floor so I will probably need something to step up on to get into bed!
                Thanks for your suggestions.
                Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

You should definitely check with your surgeon. I found the reclining position to be uncomfortable.

You are allowed to sit, but not for long periods of time. I think we limit patients to 45 minutes at a time max.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Karen

I also have a very high bed, and did set some large text books down on the floor next to the bed, but did not need them. You will adapt very quickly.

Do not buy a step stool. If fact, the ones you have now, throw them out. My mother in law fell and destroyed her leg, and it wont heal, all due to a cobweb. Forget the cobweb... Get someone else to do any reaching. You will need to just concentrate on yourself and your healing. This time is yours. Its 100% yours and nobody should be asking you to do anything at all while you are healing. The first few weeks are critical for healing, and you need to take it easy.

I was probably the LEAST prepared of anyone going into my surgeries. Men are animals. LOL In keeping that in mind, I do know what is critical, and that’s the foam topper for sleeping, and 1 or 2 bottles of Mag Citrate just in case. Others can get things you need.

Buy SOFT down pillows. Not the cheapies, the good ones. You will need them, and they are nice to have everywhere. I threw 2 in my car and left them there. 2 in my truck. 6 on the bed, 4 in the living room, 2 in my office, 1 for the kitchen chair. I have 6 in my RV, so the running total, uhh, I can even add it up its that many. LOL

A nice THICK down comforter is a great idea. You will freeze. I set records with my gas bills in my recovery.

I wouldn’t buy any fancy schmancy furniture. I have an expensive Lazy boy with heat and vibration I don’t use. I could not recline at all in my recovery, some can, I couldn’t at all for a few months.
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I will definitely get some decent down pillows. I'm not going to be cheap when it makes a difference in comfort. Thanks, again!!!
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I definitely preferred to sit up straight, though I had tail-bone soreness for the first couple of weeks. I would lie on the sofa with pillows and watch tv, or chat to friends. Or I'd sit on a straight backed chair. I didn't need anything for my bed, it was perfect. I have a foam topper (not a memory foam) and my bed is high which is easy to get in and out of. The most important thing about the bed is that it's flat. No hammocking, that's what the hospital bed did, and it was horrendous. I was in pain until I got back into my own bed.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

memory foam or other?

I just ordered a memory foam topper yesterday, but can probably cancel it. I assumed that whe Ed says, "Don't forget the foam" that he meant a memory foam topper. Do you NOT recommend the memory foam but something else instead?
                          Karen
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen,

For some reason, the title of your thread makes me smile every time I see it- something about the electric recliner, etc...it does get complicated, doesn't it? How to recover perfectly. I'm glad you are ahead of me and can forge a path.
                            I think you are going to do just fine.

Ed,

It's been said many times before and worth repeating- I do enjoy your posts. Pillows everywhere.
                            Last week, I was in the NY/Ct/MA area and I went with my mother to her Boston hospital for a pre-surgery fusion "class". Really well worthwhile for me, as most of the info was geared towards back fusion, with a couple scolis in there. There was a couple across the table from us- the wife was having a few levels fused. The husband was falling asleep during the presentation, and at the end when the nurse delivered a speech similar to yours, with the emphasis on healing only, no other work or concerns....the guy raised his hand and said, "You mean she won't be able to cook?!" Poor lady.

God bless us all....
                            Amy
                            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                            Exercising to correct

Comment

Karen

Go with latex foam vs polyurethane foam. Latex toppers will retain their elasticity longer. They also cost more, and are generally a bone color rather than a tan or light brown yellow.

The cheap foam will compress in time.
                              Ed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex_foam

Amy

I'm glad you enjoy my writings. In nursing, they had the head nurse for UCSF who spoke at the Scoli conference, I forgot her name maybe Linda will chime in, but she has been on the scene since before scoliosis! She really impressed me, maybe I picked up a few things from her speech.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X