Ribs sore to touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribs sore to touch

Does anyone have incredible tenderness on the protruding ribs in the back. There seem to be hot spots that send stabbing pain when massaged.
    Do you think they are muscle spasms or nerve sensitivity due to impingement?

Hi Carol,

When you say that your ribs hurt when massaged, do you apply a lot of pressure when you do so? Or is it just a light rub? Depending on that answer, it could be a couple of things (at least from what I know from the top of my head):

With a lot of pressure, I think the ribs are bound to hurt somewhat. They hurt when I get my ribs massaged with lots of pressure. I think that is just due to the fact that since the ribs are out of their natural position, they are bound to hurt a little more.

If its light pressure that you are applying, then it may have to do with the skin above the ribs (maybe a bruise from a brace you wear?). I don't think that nerves are being pinched: neurons in the skin itself are very small, and at least I think, they do not collectively combine to form nerves.

Hopes this helps,
    Chudi

Comment

I have pain around my rib cage (it starts in my spine and goes around to the front). My is from several degenerating discs. I go next week for an ablation to stop most of my nerve pain.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Carol...

It's not uncommon for people to have pain at the most prominent point of the rib hump. I've always assumed that it's because that area rubs against the back of chairs.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X