Got the radiographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the radiographs

I wrote the nurse again and this time she responded that I can simply request the radiographs from the Imaging Department. They must also acquire these digitally or digitize them or something but I can say every time we are there, he walks in with a large format film. I asked when they would be ready and he said 20 minutes. Since they are open 24 hours I drove over last night to pick up the CDs.

Kid 1 and Kid 2.

There is no measurement on the T curve for Kid 1 in the report as I recall but I'll check that again at some point. I guess if it less than 10* (scoliosis) they don't comment. Here curves have been stable.

For Kid 2, I think the surgeon was just speaking generally or something but the radiologist report states the T curve still has a measurable Cobb and is thus not "straight" as I was told. There was a slight trunk shift immediately post op which resolved... this radiograh is from after it resolved. I can post the one immediately post op for comparison if anyone cares. Also, the radiologist report states both curves have gotten slightly larger since the surgery per the reports. I couldn't detect any change when coming into the clinic and viewing these radiographs every several months. Studying these radiographs now I agree with the report. The surgeon said she is stable which might mean stable enough in this case and so I have to go with that.

Note the different type of curve each has in the lumbar region. Both L curves bent out straight so they are both functional but the angle that they make with the pelvis is different. I think that is the main control on the different post op trajectories in the cases of my daughters. And I'm going to compare these with her pre-brace radiographs just to see if the curve changed in type after wearing the brace. I may end up standing on someone's desk if it did and went the wrong way.
    Attached Files
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Thanks for sharing those images Sharon.
    Is kid1's fusion one level longer than kid 2? Hard to compare the two, but I was curious.
    -Cara
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Originally posted by nate03 View Post
      Thanks for sharing those images Sharon.
      Is kid1's fusion one level longer than kid 2? Hard to compare the two, but I was curious.
      -Cara
      Not as far as I know. The surgeon and the radiologist both say T4-L1 for both kids.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon - Thanks for posting the x-rays. Just wanted to tell you that Katlin - who was fused 2'10 has a curve below her fusion too. If I could ever figure out how to post them I will. She goes to L-3, but you can still see the curve. She's in PT now to build a strong core to support her lower lumbar area. The Dr knew there would be a curve still, but didn't want to go lower in her case. He doesn't think it will be a problem.

Dee

PS - loved the hoof x-rays - luckily I have very little knowledge in that area, but always interesting.
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Thanks for posting that about stability of the residual lumbar, Dee.

I guess after I saw the first kid, I just expected the second kid to follow suit with respect to the lumbar. She didn't and I think that is because they actually have different types of T curves. I just hope all these kids with residual functional L curves are stable going forward.

In re the hoof stuff, I will say that I would not consider buying another horse with a club foot. Olympic riders can micromanage without thinking the biomechanics to compensate for the club (Hilda Gurney did it on Keen). But lower level types like myself should stick with horses with normal feet until we get to the upper levels. I mean I caught it at the NQR stage and he has never been lame and that is to my credit but Hilda Gurney would have ridden that horse such that she avoided the NQR stage completely.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay I dug out the two films that I have from the SRS surgeon we saw before he referred us to our present surgeon.

On the first one (9/07), she has a curve of 27* and there is a slight hint that the Lumbar is not coming straight up from the pelvis. It is almost coming straight up. On the second one (1/08), she has a curve of 33* and the Lumbar is clearly coming off vertical even then. She got the Charleston at that point.

So it appears my hypothesis that the brace may have done that is incorrect.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              So it appears my hypothesis that the brace may have done that is incorrect.
              I'm glad you found that. It's awful to think that we somehow did something that made our kids' curve worse. But, it looks like the curve just did it all by itself.

Stupid curves

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                I'm glad you found that. It's awful to think that we somehow did something that made our kids' curve worse. But, it looks like the curve just did it all by itself.

Stupid curves
                Stupid curves is right.

I'd like to know how these identical twin kids can have different curves. That really goes quite a ways towards proving an epigenetic driver on top of a basic genetic plan for curves it seems.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Stupid curves is right.

I'd like to know how these identical twin kids can have different curves. That really goes quite a ways towards proving an epigenetic driver on top of a basic genetic plan for curves it seems.
                  "Epigenetic drivers"? Definition, please...talk about tiny brains....

I googled it, but I just had basal cell stuff removed today and am feeling sorry for myself, so didn't pursue the headlines. The first one said something about an avatar, and that's a popular movie, correct?
                  Amy
                  58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                  Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                  Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                  2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

Yeah, when you google it with "driver" it's just enormously dense.

Here's the wikipedia for just epigenetic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

"In biology, and specifically genetics, epigenetics is the study of inherited changes in phenotype (appearance) or gene expression caused by mechanisms other than changes in the underlying DNA sequence"

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                      Yeah, when you google it with "driver" it's just enormously dense.

Here's the wikipedia for just epigenetic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

"In biology, and specifically genetics, epigenetics is the study of inherited changes in phenotype (appearance) or gene expression caused by mechanisms other than changes in the underlying DNA sequence"
                      Thanks....

So the driver is that elusive mechanism, yes? The million dollar question....

In the meantime, I'm going to use the phrase "epigenetic driver" at least 7 times before the day is over. So I might possibly retain it.

Did you know that basal cell carcinoma is usually started during sun exposure as an adolescent? I got two compliments this morning: 1. I have a high pain tolerance and am stoic. 2. I took care of my skin as an adult but not as an adolescent.

Mohs surgery after Mom's surgery but before scoli surgery.

Wear your sunscreen- Kurt Vonnegut
                      Amy
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by foofer View Post

I googled it, but I just had basal cell stuff removed today and am feeling sorry for myself, so didn't pursue the headlines. The first one said something about an avatar, and that's a popular movie, correct?
                        LOL - but seriously hope the basal cell stuff is OK.

Sharon - I understand about the hoof stuff - lots of $$$ to fix. I'm more of the soft tissue micromanager - bow five years ago ended my girls dressage showing. Lately with the wonferful weather flux we're dealing with colic - twice in a week and a half in a 26 yo. Of course this is only 2 weeks before I'll be gone w/ DD #2 having surgery so need to get that squared away. Weather changes don't just cause sore backs - in horses it's tummies.

Dee
                        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by foofer View Post

Hey foofer, sorry to hear about the basal cell stuff. I know people who went through that. I heard that even just one bad burn can trigger it years later.

In re "driver," I use that as a general term meaning some chemical or biochemical thing that works to change something else. That said, I found this abstract...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20920753

These authors seem to be using "driver" like I do but it is not specific to epigenetics. I will use that word in my own work which is not biochem.
                          Last edited by Pooka1; 10-22-2010, 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
                            Sharon - I understand about the hoof stuff - lots of $$$ to fix. I'm more of the soft tissue micromanager - bow five years ago ended my girls dressage showing. Lately with the wonferful weather flux we're dealing with colic - twice in a week and a half in a 26 yo. Of course this is only 2 weeks before I'll be gone w/ DD #2 having surgery so need to get that squared away. Weather changes don't just cause sore backs - in horses it's tummies.

Dee
                            TELL ME ABOUT IT!

My husband is a ranch manager on a small ranch with 6 horses. My son works there also as does his girlfriend who is a vet student and a horse whisperer (she calls it a Horse Arguer)

At the dinner table, I try to tell my little scoli stories and my basal cell issues, and I get Nothing... I know more than I ever wanted to know about horse colic...and other delicate issues.

What kind of a world is it when a horse steals all my press?-
                            paraphrasing Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman.

LOL
                            Amy
                            Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
                              Sharon - I understand about the hoof stuff - lots of $$$ to fix. I'm more of the soft tissue micromanager - bow five years ago ended my girls dressage showing. Lately with the wonderful weather flux we're dealing with colic - twice in a week and a half in a 26 yo. Of course this is only 2 weeks before I'll be gone w/ DD #2 having surgery so need to get that squared away. Weather changes don't just cause sore backs - in horses it's tummies.
                              Wow that's some bad luck. Bows can take forever to heal. You have to take the bad ones really, really slow in rehab as I understand it.

And colic twice in a 26 yo? Yikes. Weather has definitely been implicated in some colics. In the rainshadow of the Canadian Rockies of Alberta where I lived for a few years, the colics tend to happen in spring and fall, not winter. Pressure changes somehow trigger it. I have never seen so much colic in such a short period of time. It was scary. I knew a horse who colicked, was operated on, colicked again soon afterward, was on the table and they decided to plug the plug.

Sounds like you have your hands full there. But you will be ready in 2 weeks I'm sure and your daughter will be a star.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X