Surgeries scheduled Nov., Dec. Jan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeries scheduled Nov., Dec. Jan.

I kept a list of those with surgeries in Aug., Sept. Oct. I would also like to keep a list of those with surgeries scheduled the next three months. Could you include the following information:

age/surgeon/city/vertebrae to be fused

Thanks!

I'll start:
    Karen (golfnut)-Dr. Lenke-St. Louis-T4-sacrum-Jan. 5
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
    I kept a list of those with surgeries in Aug., Sept. Oct. I would also like to keep a list of those with surgeries scheduled the next three months. Could you include the following information:

age/surgeon/city/vertebrae to be fused

Haley (HaleyMom) - Dr Hey - Raleigh - T3-L1 - Dec 7
    Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
    Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
    Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
    Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
    Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
    Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Irene (backissues) - Dr. Rand - Boston - (T8, T9, or T10) -pelvis - Dec 7

Is pelvic fixation the same as to the sacrum? If not, what are the limitations to the pelvis?

Thanks.

Comment

just added age

Karen (golfnut)-Dr. Lenke-St. Louis-T4-sacrum-Jan. 5-age 60
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by backissues View Post

Is pelvic fixation the same as to the sacrum? If not, what are the limitations to the pelvis?

Thanks.
          Irene, As far as I know, most people who are fused to L5-S1 also are fixed to the pelvis. It adds stabilization to the fusion. I could be wrong.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by backissues View Post

Thanks.
            Hi,
            Pelvic fixation is not the same as fusing to the sacrum. Pelvic fixation is the addition of 2 iliac screws at the very bottom of the construct into the pelvic bone to add stability. I've had both (to the sacrum, and then pelvic) and noticed little difference in flexibility.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Karen (golfnut)-Dr. Lenke-St. Louis-T4-sacrum-Jan. 5-age 60
              Raphael (Rafa9876) - Dr. Passuti - Nantes (France) - T4-L1 - Nov 3 - Age 23 Male - Thoracic 55°, No compensatory curve, Hypokyphosis, 6'8''

Hi, i haven't been posting on this forum yet, but i've read a lot of stories the past few months and it helped me prepare mentally and physically for surgery.
              I know you don't know me, and i may be askin a lot, but i would like people who know what i'm going through to care about me when i'm in the hospital bed.
              Not only because noboby will be able to visit me there but because i want to share what i feel with people who understand even though my curve and the surgery that goes with it is not as bad as others..
              Feel free to ask questions because i'll gladly answer!
              Rapha Male 24, France 6'8
              Surgery Nov 3rd 2010
              Passuti MD Nantes, France. 55* thoracic curve with hypokyphosis, no compensatory curve

Comment

Hi Raphael, welcome to the forum. Not only do we care about our fellow scolis going through this journey, but we would like to help by trying to answer any questions you may have. There are lots of very knowledgable people here and tons of experience. Best of luck!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for posting this Karen - I'll add my Daughter (she doesn't post here)

Jessica (20) 11/3/10 - T-3 -> L-3

Welcome Raphael - you can see your surgery is on the same day as my DD.

JenniferG is so right - this is a great group for knowledge and support. I don't think I would have gotten through this last year without a nervous breakdown without these wonderful people sharing their experiences.

Good luck to all listed already and those who add to the list. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for successful surgeries for each of you on your special days.

Dee
                  Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                  Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                  Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa9876 View Post
                    Raphael (Rafa9876) - Dr. Passuti - Nantes (France) - T4-L1 - Nov 3 - Age 23 Male - Thoracic 55°, No compensatory curve, Hypokyphosis, 6'8''

Hi, i haven't been posting on this forum yet, but i've read a lot of stories the past few months and it helped me prepare mentally and physically for surgery.
                    I know you don't know me, and i may be askin a lot, but i would like people who know what i'm going through to care about me when i'm in the hospital bed.
                    Not only because noboby will be able to visit me there but because i want to share what i feel with people who understand even though my curve and the surgery that goes with it is not as bad as others..
                    Feel free to ask questions because i'll gladly answer!
                    Accueil!

I care about you! Even if you don't get access to a computer to check in from the hospital, there will be plenty of people waiting to hear from you when you are finally back home.

I am so glad you posted.

When you are in the hospital, when you are in pain, I want you to know we are thinking about you and looking forward to hearing from you about your surgery and recovery.

Bonne chance.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

49yo, Dr. Tribus, Madison, WI. . .fused T-3 to L-3 8/09. . .scheduled for "hardware removal w/possible reinstrumentation", NOV 2.
                      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        Accueil!

I care about you! Even if you don't get access to a computer to check in from the hospital, there will be plenty of people waiting to hear from you when you are finally back home.

I am so glad you posted.

When you are in the hospital, when you are in pain, I want you to know we are thinking about you and looking forward to hearing from you about your surgery and recovery.

Bonne chance.
                        Thx for trying to speak french, i had a good laugh which is good these days "Accueil" means "reception" and not "welcome". You wanted to say "Bienvenue" but i'm not here to give french lessons..
                        Your post made me feel great though as well as ddb's and jennifer's.
                        I tried for a while to find a scoliosis case on this forum that was similar to mine but every single one is different..
                        Anyway i read David Wolpert's book and interviewed my surgeon last time for 45minutes so i think i know all i have to know on the subject now.
                        My level of stress is close to none thanks to the information i learnt here and there and to all the physical activities i've done.

Btw my surgeon told me he wont use BMP on me because they're beginning to find downsides to its use in their researches. Do you know about that?
                        Surgery Nov 3rd 2010
                        Passuti MD Nantes, France. 55* thoracic curve with hypokyphosis, no compensatory curve

Comment

Wow for some reason my spell checker isn't working on this machine. Apologies for all the edits.

Thx for trying to speak french, i had a good laugh which is good these days "Accueil" means "reception" and not "welcome". You wanted to say "Bienvenue" but i'm not here to give french lessons..
                          Hey thanks for that correction. Here I am obliged to admit that I took French every year from the third through the eleventh grade. Eight years and I still got the salutation wrong.

I forgot most but could understand a fair amount when I was in Paris. Couldn't speak it very well any more of course.

Your post made me feel great though as well as ddb's and jennifer's.
                          I tried for a while to find a scoliosis case on this forum that was similar to mine but every single one is different..
                          Well your surgery will be generally similar to that for both my daughters... they were both fused T4-L1 for a 58* curve in one case and a 57* curve in the other. Also they are both tall. Perhaps unlike you, they have some sort of connective tissue problem which I think is linked to their scoliosis.

Anyway i read David Wolpert's book and interviewed my surgeon last time for 45minutes so i think i know all i have to know on the subject now.
                          My level of stress is close to none thanks to the information i learnt here and there and to all the physical activities i've done.
                          Knowledge is power. So is seeing the results. I was considerably off the ledge for my second kid after seeing the recovery and results of the first.

Btw my surgeon told me he wont use BMP on me because they're beginning to find downsides to its use in their researches. Do you know about that?
                          I don't know. Wolpert posts here occasionally and he might know. The moderator, Linda Racine, is involved in coordinating scoliosis studies at a major teaching/clinical center. She keeps up with the literature and might know.
                          Last edited by Pooka1; 10-18-2010, 09:44 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post

Well your surgery will be generally similar to that for both my daughters... they were both fused T4-L1 for a 58* curve in one case and a 57* curve in the other. Also they are both tall. Perhaps unlike you, they have some sort of connective tissue problem which I think is linked to their scoliosis.
                            Yeah the case of your twins interested me a lot because of the correction they got out of surgery. And i was curious to see the xrays. The only difference is that they were 13 and had kyphosis. There's also a doubt for me concerning marfan's syndrome but my heart is ok for now which is the most important.
                            Surgery Nov 3rd 2010

Comment

Yeah the case of your twins interested me a lot because of the correction they got out of surgery. And i was curious to see the xrays. The only difference is that they were 13 and had kyphosis. There's also a doubt for me concerning marfan's syndrome but my heart is ok for now which is the most important.
                              I have requested the radiographs by email to the surgeon's nurse but haven't gotten a response. They are all large format film, not digital, so I don't know how they would provide them anyway. I may have to request the entire medical files just to get the radiographs.

My one kid has an appointment next month. She said she is going to take a picture of the radiograph. I'll post that.

In the meantime, I will pursue getting the radiograph for the other kid and, failing that, just take a picture at her next appointment in June.

It's slightly ironic that my horse's radiographs are all digital but my kids' are all film. I can post my horse's radiographs if you like. They are all hooves.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X