Question about a fall, 8 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a fall, 8 months post op

My 12 year old daughter Mandy's " friend" pulled chair out from under her yesterday and she landed hard on her rear . She had spinal fusion and rods Jan 14, 2010. She was not in any pain yesterday but tonight is sore and complaining of a headache. Should I be worried?? How long after surgery do I have to have this constant fear of her falling and hurting herself
    Thanks for any advice!
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Sorry to hear that!

As I understand our surgeon, the instrumentation is so good that it is very unlikely she disturbed her fusion. She might even be completely fused by now anyway.

I hope she feels better.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm sure she's ok but just to be safe I'd take her to her MD and have her checked out.

The thing we were warned most about for the year of recovery is to avoid any sharp jarring motions. I'm constantly in fear of someone ramming my daughter in the back now that she's back in school. Granted, she's only 6 weeks post op but I'll be concerned until the full year has passed.

To make matters worse, she'll be able to get her learners driving permit before the year has expired.
      Mother to 14 yo Cheyenne. Surgery 8/23/10 Shriners, SLC.

Comment

My experience with falling.

I fell down the stairs when my slippers-"slipped' about a year and half after an extensive revision. I was bruised but otherwise OK. A couple of months later had my usual check-up with Dr. Boachie and all was fine.

I did call Lindy- his nurse though. She said if the pain was not excessive then everything should be OK. I still had the option of going to the ER but I do not trust just anyone to read my spinal X-rays.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Wow - I'm so sorry!! To answer the "How long after surgery do I have to have this constant fear of her falling and hurting herself" question - I don't think it will ever go away. Katie is just one month after Mandy and she constantly reminds me to stop worrying - and I try, I really do. Guess that part of being a Mom.

Hope she is feeling better today.

Dee
          Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
          Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
          Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
          X