Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Bridwell horror story. Feel like giving up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bridwell horror story. Feel like giving up...

I only recently returned from a completely exhausting trip to St Louis to see Dr. Bridwell - the surgeon I’ve thought of all along as a safe fall-back . That is, based on reputation and with only a niggling sorrow about not being able to see Dr. Lenke - that's both because of his schedule and the possibility I couldn‘t persuade him to take me (he’s only accepting the most serious curves now. Unless he can be persuaded for other reasons - either net deformity/problems and/or professional courtesy.

...No offense, but I couldn’t help noticing Lenke accepted one of our new members with curves no worse than mine. However, said member is a surgeon).

It was also reassuring that I knew Bridwell could fit me in within my timeline.

To my horror/astonishment he turned me down! I’m mind-blown trying to figure out what his summary “message” is. Don’t know whether I should take away that I’m too “high risk” (“If you were my sister, I wouldn’t want you to have the surgery” and also “I don’t want to make you worse than you are now.”) .

OR OTOH is my failure to pass his risk:benefit standard, less a matter of excessive risk than insufficient benefit - namely, his disbelief that I have the neuro conditions other docs diagnosed?

Bridwell and his “Fellow” told me first, they didn’t believe my dual incontinences are spinal in origin. They both started out insisting that urinary incontinence can’t result from cervical stenosis (except under very rare circumstances) - and took off from there!

Is he really a world class genius able to take upon himself the onus of contradicting FIVE neurosurgeons and my neurologist (all of whom evaluated my cervical stenosis based much on urinary incontinence - and over a period of a decade)? And can he creditably reject the opinion of my urologist (who did a $15K URO work-up, concluding my incontinence is spinal FWIW I tried to persuade her otherwise.)? And what about the three radiologists who analyzed my CT myelogram? That revealed "severe" lumbar stenosis - a word used sparingly in Medicine - and at a level that CAN cause both kinds of incontinence.

As I sat in the exam room absorbing the shock of his verdict (and trying to interpret it), at least I remembered before leaving, that the radiologists AND Dr. Shaffrey (AND my neurologist) - had all stressed that L3/4 reputedly showed massive pathology. So I stuck my head into the hall, and asked the Fellow, to please pay special attention to that part of the myelogram report. The Fellow said with a sweet/condescending smile that they HAD looked; the stenosis there was “mild”. OK, who am I to question the MDeities, then? Even with the words of OTHER MDeities? So I just sucked it up, puddling into the floor.

To make things worse, I was also in a great deal of pain because of the sleepless night traveling there, and much walking in airports. I’d really pushed myself (and it all got much worse by the time I was home too with another sleepless night and more bad luck in transit, behind me.). As we all know, painful backs can be a blessing to the surgically undecided. They help by adding to the “what choice do I have?” certainty. That is, it helps, unless we have just been pushed involuntarily into the ranks of the rejected (for surgery)! Especially after I got home and read the horrible news about our comrades, I began to interpret it as a warning to stay clear of THE OP. .

I'd paid for an extra day in case The Great Man cared to order a “bike/treadmill test”. (Jackie and I had discussed it in advance as a possibility - seems it’s a very useful test for a diff’l diagnosis of lumbar stenosis (not many doctors do it. Maybe a comment about it , later...). Meanwhile, that night back in my hotel, I stewed still more with that useless (expensive) day ahead of me before I could fly home. Finally, I regained my composure enough to pull out my CT-Myelogram and actually read over the L3/L4 section, to myself (the part reporting on the stenosis they'd denied). Next post.

Don’t know which is more sickening: if (that?) he was so utterly wrong or if (that?) he might have been right despite all those other experts saying the opposite.

OTOH how is that possible? Stenosis isn’t diagnosed by eyeballing me, but by precisely this sophisticated test - the one those three radiologists had trained for years to analyze! Could Bridwell have correctly second-guessed so many other experts more specialized than he is at this diagnosis? If it were just me questioning him it would be one thing, of course. There is this whole slew of others, though! Far more likely is it not, that at the end of a long day, he just missed reading the right passage in the report? And just for the record, I’d also brought two full CD’s of the myelogram imaging too. (Or -- was he just making excuses?)

FWIW yes, he IS chilly and aloof, but that's just his personality style. Forewarned, I was able to ignore that (thus, I still like and respect him).

Ironically, I’d been waiting for months to try to schedule seeing Bridwell at the same time I saw a Wash. U neuro-surgeon . That was in order to be SURE of having my neurological issues attended to (Seemed to me they'd been given sort of short shrift, in a few previous appointments). After all, first appointments can only be SO long - and besides, I’d reluctantly concluded my neuro issues were as or more serious than the deformity ones. Also that they were NOT one and the same!) . After all that delay, though, I’d finally been told I could only dovetail the two if I waited 'til late October and that just seemed too risky/too long to wait.

Besides, I'd recently noticed that prior surgeons HAD stated I probably also needed a “decompression”. (This meant they HAD noticed my lumbar stenosis; this was even before I’d had the tell-tale myelogram!) All in all, I decided to trust that deformity surgeons (Bridwell, especially) COULD handle this much neurosurgery! And sure enough, the "Fellow’s" first words were (intended to be reassuring) “Yeah, we can do that [meaning neurosurgery]"

Haha. NOT! At least, it looks very much to me like they missed the boat. Take a glance at the CT-Myel. excerpt (below). What do you think? What should I do? What should I think? What should I conclude?

Remember that Dr Shaffrey’s very first words to me were (paraphrase) “Ordinarily, I’d have thought you were in surgically grey area – and wouldn’t have wanted to operate. With these neurological findings, though [the CT myelogram - especially L3-L4 - and the URO workup] - it’s no longer optional surgery”. And Shaffrey is also board-certified in neurosurgery! (Yes, I told Dr. Bridwell of this difference of opinion).

The questions kept coming at me fast and furious. And once home, as you can imagine, that much worse after learning of Joy’s calamity. AM I at too much risk to submit to this horrific surgery - because of age, insufficient deformity, something personal ---or? (And WAS the neurology issue just a subterfuge?).

Lost money, lost sleep, lost time, lost morale – hard to say which tugged at me the most I don’t have thousands to throw away on useless journeys, least of all ones that age me so greatly (between the two sleepless nights and spinal damage... Meaning that by the time I'd wandered around three major hub airports, I wound up for hours in the large, deserted Philly airport lugging most of my stuff with me (can't believe I did it). This was after a five hour weather-delayed flight from Chicago – no assistance. I felt my kyphosis dragging me down like Quasimodo. Whew!)

Friend says I really MUST insist Bernie (surgical nurse) give me answers about what in the world went on behind the scenes (?). I also want to ask some "what if’s "; i.e., IF he were to operate, would he have done it in two stages? (He DID indicate I WOULD have needed a fusion from T3 - to S1 +pelvis). Knowing that helps some. Sheesh after such a hellacious trip, adding an informed opinion to my growing physician survey, makes SOME contribution, at least.

Should I – erm, “rub his nose in it” ["it" being the Myelogram report]? In a nice way, that is - i.e., politely requesting an explanation. [HAD he noted that part of the report, etc?. ] I dare say even my neurologist would like an explanation! Not to mention the extensive URO study Bridwell is blowing off. That's feasible, I guess, as he can claim, it's just ONE doctor's opinion - but not to blow off the whole science of CT-myelograms!

I feel as if I must choose between getting a well-done decompression or a good anterior reinforcement of my lordosis…Well, sort of. COULD it really be EITHER/OR? (That is, IF Bridwell had been willing to operate on me….)

I’m so confused. And fed up. Feeling kind of doomed too.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Decided to edit Dr. B's name from the thread title. Sep post.
    Last edited by Back-out; 10-08-2010, 11:11 AM.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

The CT- Myelogram report L/3-L/4 - that Bridwell missed (?)

And here’s that L3/L4 part of the Ct-Myel. report. The rest of L spine speaks of considerable stenosis but true to my recollection, this part IS just plain awful. Without being a neurologist or radiologist or surgical-psychologist (what IS going on in his mind with me and Mike??) - what do you make of all this, you guys?

L3/L4 There are severe degenerative changes with loss of intervertebral disk space height and nitrogen disk phenomena, severe facet and ligament flavum hypertrophy as well as right sided synovial cyst projecting into the canal and a right lateral disk protrusion causing severe right lateral recess stenosis and severe central canal stenosis. Additionally these changes cause moderate to severe right neural foraminal stenosis.

IMPRESSION

2. Multifactorial degenerative chances of the spine, most significant in the lumbar spine where there is severe right lateral recess stenosis and severe central canal stenosis at L3/L4 and multilevel moderate severe foraminal narrowing as described above.

Dr. Gregory XXXX dictating neuroradiology fellow; attending radiologist indicated review of both the images and the report and that the attending radiologist agrees with the interpretation.
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

???

I just don't understand how anyone can spend all of this money and time on plane-rides and hotel rooms. It is alien to me to have any of that extra (money for hotels and plane-rides, let alone rent and bills. Especially with a family to take care of! Are the majority of cases on here strictly on there own as far as mouths to feed and people to take care of? I really don't know but I'd love to. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to be real). Bless you for your travels and search for the truth. I am right here too.
      Surgery scheduled for January 2011
      by Charles (Ted) Shuff
      http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
      -- Samuel Johnson
      "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
      -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Davis,

I'm quite poor and - face it, disabled. And yes, I'm on my own. Thing is, either I give up (as in - what it sounds like) or else I spend money on researching a competent surgeon (they're harder to come by at my age, when surgery is harder to do properly, the complication rate being so much higher).

What's more, I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't spinal surgeons in my vicinity. The only decent ortho docs are two good knee surgeons - thanks to our famous football team. So either I cave in, and finish out my days in a nursing home, or wave bye bye to this green planet - or try...hoping for the best.

It was quite a blow to lose the money for this trip. It bothers me a GREAT deal too that if Bridwell had gotten my CT myelogram report in advance, he could have rejected me just as well without my even making the trip! For what was I there, I ask myself. Especially since it looks like he misread my primary test!

Comment

idea

Hi Amanda,

I have an idea: Why not have Shaffrey or your neurologist call Bridwell directly and find out why he rejected you? Then maybe they can hash out your diagnosis together and come to some sort of consensus. I know some of the surgeons here have "consulted" with Bridwell, so I don't think it is unheard of for them to compare notes.

Get these questions answered:

1. Is this surgery too risky for you?
          2. Will the surgery fix your incontinence?
          3. What is the best surgical approach for you (anterior and/or posterior as well as levels)?

If they will do this, it could simplify your life! Might even be able to do it via email if you get them patient privacy release.

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

That's devestating and I'm sorry to hear it. Honestly, to say the truth, it makes me angry. It isn't right and anyone in a descent state of mind can and would come to that conclusion, I truelly believe or am totally blindsided, someone please speak up if so. The amount of money that we throw at this thing seems ridiculous. I'm sorry if what I said came off wrong and I am sure that we are all on completely different socio-economic levels but the bottom line is and will always be there, we are all human and feeling and living. ?????????????????
            Agreed I hope and if so .....
            We all need to stop apalogising so much and hit it straight on, whatever it is. Injustice in whichever way, we all have a voice ... don't settle.
            You already know this, I was just re-affirming. Sorry if I talked to much.
            Don't let 'em reduce you to puddling my dear, be a spout, purge in their face the whole truth.
            Blessings
            Last edited by Davis; 09-28-2010, 10:34 PM.
            Surgery scheduled for January 2011
            by Charles (Ted) Shuff
            http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
            -- Samuel Johnson
            "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
            -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So sorry Amanda, for your disappointment, and the money expended but not actually achieving anything, the time and the pain. It hardly seems fair or reasonable and I wish I had some helpful suggestions as to where to go from here. I don't, but I have a feeling that in a few days, you will pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue the journey. Better luck next time!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I’m so sorry to hear this, Amanda. I wish I had some answers for you. I’m wondering if Dr. Bridwell has recently lost a patient in surgery which has shaken him. After all, these surgeons are only human.

Comment

my advice

i really agree with ConfusedMom; call or go see the doctor who knows you best and in whom you have the most confidence, and ask him to talk to dr bridwell directly asking for answers to those specific questions and why the imaging information does not lead him to the same conclusions; it's free and doctors will confer over the phone when there is a communication problem as there obviously is here

like you say, maybe there's a legitimate difference of opinion among the different doctors or maybe dr bridwell has other good reasons to think you aren't a good surgical candidate; either way, you need to get these answers before deciding how to proceed from here
                  junosand
                  59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                  schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                  with titanium cages
                  Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Amanda,
                    I am so sorry for your experience, it has to be extremely frustrating. Have you seen Dr Boachie, or Dr Neuwirth, in NYC? Atleast you can drive there, no more expensive, exhausting plane rides. I would think if anyone could help you, it might be one of these two. Good Luck with your search.
                    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                    T54/L72
                    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                    Gained 2 inches!
                    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I had surgery with Dr Bridwell Aug 31; fused T3-L1. Had an excellent result. Now 4 weeks post op and have had no recovery problems along the way. Dr Bridwell won't operate if the risk is greater than the anticipated result and i get the impression he weighs everything very carefully. If he didn't feel comfortable operating on me, I wouldn't want him to. My doc here who did my spondy surgery did not want to do my scoli surgery unless it got worse. That's when I found Dr Bridwell. I know you've been to other docs but I don't know how many surgical opinions you have gotten. If he's the only one then I would try one of his recommended docs from the list he gave Mike. Unfortunately not all back problems are fixable and that's when pain management becomes important.
                      Age 56
                      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                      Thoracic 68
                      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                      Dr Bridwell St Louis
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Surgeon declines

Dr. Bridwell may just be not comfortable with your neuro issues. Better he decline rather than be unsure and botch it up.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Amanda,
                          I feel for you with all that you've been through. I agree with junosand that you should have your Dr. call and see the reason behind Dr. Bridwell's decision. Obviously, he didn't feel comfortable that it would be a successful surgery. Don't give up. Your quality of life is so important. Dr. Boachie comes highly recommended according to Linda and others on the forum. You will find the right surgeon!!!
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm so sorry about all of this. I know how frustrating it can be, but you will find the right surgeon.

Where are you in PA? Have you seen Dr. Albert at the Rothman Institute? He has a really good reputation. I went to him for a second opinion and really liked him, but I was set on Dr. Fras doing my surgery. Dr. Albert did stenosis surgery on my aunt a few years ago and had great results.

Shell
                            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                            2003- 33 degrees
                            2005- 37 degrees
                            2006- 44 degrees
                            May 2007- 47 degrees
                            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                            Fused T1 to L2
                            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Why doctors decide against patients. Not so simple (+ why I intend to "be careful&quot

Thanks you all very much.

Seems most of you got the same feeling I did - namely, that whatever he SAID (about the incontinences and CT myelogram) his "real" reasons are apt to differ.

Adding to the mystery is that his phone person Jackie (a real sweetheart) told me he'd have his office consult notes in my hands within two days of visit + mail turnaround time. Here it is almost ten days later and no hide nor hair of it - and I'm going to second consult with Shaffrey tomorrow. It was important to discuss said notes with him, but where are they?

Initially, I had requested he send both Shaffrey AND me the consult notes, but after thinking it through, I decided I wanted to screen them myself - i.e., see what he said before having them automatically sent to Shaffrey.

Contrary to your (pl) well intentioned advice to get docs to talk amongst themselves. I have other thoughts about the issue - and I dare say even those of you so advising, would feel the same if you thought it through from a mnore cautious POV. Namely, I do NOT want others to make this decision for me, especially given all the variables. This includes financial and other time issues. Think! Isn't this exactly what we all fear - having decision making (our very right to life) taken out of our hands by medical committees?

How do I know what Shaffrey's attitude and feelings are abt Bridwell? I most certainly do NOT want his human insecurities and miscellany reactions (to do with his relationship with Bridwell), to determine my access to surgery.

Sure, I want to know what good doctors REALLY think about my medical issues, but then to have a BIG say in what risks are taken on my behalf. It's up to me if I decide I don't want to live as is...

For those who aren't up fully in the loop abt my story, I've seen in all six (good) surgeons and Bridwell is the first to decline to operate - his reasons are allegedly that I don't have the nerological issues i presented. Four-six neurosurgeons (depending on how much one expands on the issues) dissagree with him in the primary issue - to wit, what is causing my incontinence - and what CAN cause it.

Add to the list, a neurologist and three radiologists and a urologist (who did an extensive work up about same. + I 'd tried to persuade her otherwise).

OTOH maybe this was just a pretext to refuse me surgically. But why would he bother? He can come up[ with plenty of other reasons, including that he just doesn't want to! There's no need to invent a pseudo neuro disagreement.

Bizarre, but I'm now faced with an appt w/ Shaffry tomorrow. I wonder if Bridwell will have called him and discussed my case with him. I haven't decided whether or not to bring up the issue (difference of opinion) without having the consult summary in my hands first - written. That option would include my trying to "psych out " Shaffrey as to whether he has heard from Bridwell. If he has, it will be an enormous (ilegal) breach of medical standards . (Guess everyone has heard of HIPPAA by now!)

Why look for trouble, though? Seems much likelier he just hadn't gotten around to it, than that there is some kind of cabal about me. Also seems a lot likelier that he is mistaken about my neuro issues. CT myelograms are NOT occult science. Wish I'd had time to call them and FAX the pertinent passage from that report I suspect they read wrong...Then things would be clearer.

Don't forget the other five surgeons all accepted me for surgery. No thoughts about my not qualifying - on account of being high risk, bone density, or whatever. Other than age, he has no special reason to feel I'm an exceptionally high risk patient so I think (eliminating to the extent I can, personal paranoia) chances are something has happened in his personal/professional life lately - making him more cautious about whom he operates on.

Given the awful data we've all been presented with lately on-site (From our scoli "family") it isn't too far fetched to think he's experienced a professional catastrophe recently and is himself traumatized. Rather than that it's me. After all, we've all read the recent studies about the odds of complications, especially in my demographic.

That recent study Linda linked (still awaiting the full article rather than the mere abstract) was co-authored by Bridwell and Shaffrey (!). At that time the report was 75% +/- complications among "elderly" (blekh) patients. Shaffrey told me "yes, that includes hangnails" (response to my hypervbolic inquiry about just what the term includes). Maybe it includes more than that per some more recent stats. My son (present for the Shaffrey interview) was, like, me, struck by how extremely upbeat - even casual - he was about the recuperation period and what I would be faced with.

It's seeming to me that just as patients go back ad forth in feelings about surgery (depending on their most recent data - from other patients), so surgeons must too. Perhaps it's one thing the two populations have in common! If so, maybe Bridwell is under the influence of similar data as I/we am/are.

Only maybe for him it hits home more in that one may have been one of his own patients. In which case, Mike's experience and mine are NOT coincidental. Likewise, that other surgeon who was rejecting site patients right and left a few months ago, may have been under a similar influence. Remember the one who was giving rohrer such a hard time along with another patient?

I'm speaking as a patient trying to make sense of a surgeon's apparently capricious behavior - one who is trained as a clinical psychologist. One of our dictums is reality testing" - i.e., where possible try to avoid "taking things personally" where it's possible/probable that a strange response is coming from the OTHER party. Bridwell simply doesn't know that much about me! Nowhere near as much as even you on the site do, for example.

But he DOES know a lot about himself! And he's "just" a human being. I can't imagine why he should have any grounds to reject me personally based on any medical data he has at his disposal. I personally can think of reasons to fear I might be considered "high risk" but they are NOT facts/fears to which anyone is privvy but me - and maybe certain persons on this site and/or people I know. He is NOT intuitive enough to tap into them, if indeed they are really dangerous. Maybe these fears are reality-based and maybe they're not, but it isn't realistic to think he's in touch with them.

Again, by this time, I've met a fair number of other surgeons (all highly reputed). No one else had this reaction. One difference between Bridwell (possibly a factor) is that he is the ONLY surgeon who asked who else I've seen - something I thought was fairly nervy, actually. (He also asks why other surgeons didn't "please us"!). Possibly this influenced him (surgeons don't like patients who engage in "doctor shopping" - nor do they like to accept pts who might "reject them!"

I tried to reply to this concern in advance by explaining I'd started in NYC owing to a son's (long awaited) availability to take me around. Since then, though, I'd realized (and explained) it was too hard (=expensive) to work with surgeons in that location. Note that surgeons DO like to know why one is still "on the market".

"Sooner or later you have to stop seeing surgeons" the Fellow told me. Hmmm. I wonder if their assumption was that I'd been turned down before and/or that I was too fussy. NOT so! Once the NY surgeons are eliminated, there aren't many to choose from. I'm on a thin bridge w/Bridwell I suspect though - and not on medical grounds. Hopefully, not also with Shaffrey!

Comment

Working...
                              X