The scoliosis 30 day exercise and stretching challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
    I'm simply suggesting that you do your thing in another thread by referencing this one - leaving this one to be shared by folks who signed up for a 30 day exercise/life style challenge - and not a 30 day debate.
    Yes to this! Let's get back to the task at hand.

I think in this day and age we can all be in agreement that drinking soda is not a healthy choice, artificial sweeteners are not a healthy choice. Also, wikipedia is not a reliable source for information. None of these issues actually need to be debated as they are all pretty much understood to be true.

So, we start tomorrow? I am in! I already workout quite a bit, eat healthy most of the time and am in pretty good shape. My goal for this is to do yoga everyday for a minimum of 15 minutes. That is the one thing I am slacking on and want to make a daily commitment to. Looking forward to encouraging everyone to meet or exceed their goals!

Comment

Originally posted by hikerchick View Post
      Also, wikipedia is not a reliable source for information.
      No not universally. But that doesn't mean that the wiki cite I posted isn't accurate.

Wiki is good for certain things and can't be worse than the medical literature.

Again, good luck to the players.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes to this! Let's get back to the task at hand.

I think in this day and age we can all be in agreement that drinking soda is not a healthy choice, artificial sweeteners are not a healthy choice. Also, wikipedia is not a reliable source for information. None of these issues actually need to be debated as they are all pretty much understood to be true.

So, we start tomorrow? I am in! I already workout quite a bit, eat healthy most of the time and am in pretty good shape. My goal for this is to do yoga everyday for a minimum of 15 minutes. That is the one thing I am slacking on and want to make a daily commitment to. Looking forward to encouraging everyone to meet or exceed their goals!
        And yes to this! :-) Sure we can star tomorrow, and I'm sure we all did something today. I cleaned out my refrigerator and cabinets of all junk food - and went shopping at my favorite health food store for groceries this week. I had to laugh, the only thing I needed to go to the standard grocery store for, was a special cat litter that my roommate Misha prefers. Your goal is great - mine is similar. Hoping the comradery found here will help us toward that daily commitment thing. I liked Christian's visualization idea - actually found a journal made for such things (left hand page for where one is at - and the right hand page for where one wants to be). It's not to late to begin the yoga breathing exercises I discovered, so I'll probably do that this evening. Meanwhile I'm working on a granny square afghan for my baby kid (who is 29) for Christmas. Does that count as exercise? Maybe some kind of hand eye coordination thing? Good luck on the yoga hikerchick - you can to this!
        Last edited by mamamax; 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

All Knowing Pooka

I was simply passing along information given to me by a physician, who also has a Phd in nutrition. You stated yourself that the end product of aspartame is similar to formaldehyde, but you would have to drink it in large quantities in order for it to be harmful. Well, I, for one, would prefer to keep the formaldehyde, in any quantity, out of my body until it is ready to be embalmed. Also, my husband, who is a scientist with EPA, can provide you with some literature on the ill effects of artificial sweetener on children.
          It was my understanding that the purpose of this forum was to be able to share information without judgement. You can choose to take it or leave it, it is not being forced upon you. The other information, about supplements, also came from physicians whom I have worked with for the past 32 years. Obviously, everyone is in control of their own bodies, and what they put in to it.
          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
          T54/L72
          Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
          Gained 2 inches!
          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
          12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
            It was my understanding that the purpose of this forum was to be able to share information without judgement.
            Pointing out counterfactual information is not judging.

And inadvertently sharing false information is not helpful.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
              And yes to this! :-) Sure we can star tomorrow, and I'm sure we all did something today. I cleaned out my refrigerator and cabinets of all junk food - and went shopping at my favorite health food store for groceries this week. I had to laugh, the only thing I needed to go to the standard grocery store for, was a special cat litter that my roommate Misha prefers. Your goal is great - mine is similar. Hoping the comradery found here will help us toward that daily commitment thing. I liked Christian's visualization idea - actually found a journal made for such things (left hand page for where one is at - and the right hand page for where one wants to be). It's not to late to begin the yoga breathing exercises I discovered, so I'll probably do that this evening. Meanwhile I'm working on a granny square afghan for my baby kid (who is 29) for Christmas. Does that count as exercise? Maybe some kind of hand eye coordination thing? Good luck on the yoga hikerchick - you can to this!
              Good luck to you too! and no crochet does not count as exercise unless you can do it on the treadmill! I went to cycling class this morning (1 hour), did some foam rolling and stretching, will try to get in yoga before taking the kids out trick or treating. I have eaten well all week and planned today to be a cheat/treat day so will be enjoying a few favorite candies from their trick or treat bags later!

Comment

Pooka1 - honestly, you are no more qualified than anyone else here to deem Lorz's sharings counterfactual, false, and/or unhelpful. And just because you say they are - doesn't make it so. And that's a fact. Do you plan on continuing this over the course of the next 30 days? Because if so, the ignore feature will certainly come in handy.

Comment

Good luck to you too! and no crochet does not count as exercise unless you can do it on the treadmill! I went to cycling class this morning (1 hour), did some foam rolling and stretching, will try to get in yoga before taking the kids out trick or treating. I have eaten well all week and planned today to be a cheat/treat day so will be enjoying a few favorite candies from their trick or treat bags later!
                  Ha! crocheting on a treadmill - now there's a picture! Too steep a gradient for me :-) Good planning that cheat/treat day, perfect in fact. Try not to indulge too much, I hear there is such a thing as a sugar hangover, think I've experienced it a few times actually. Sounds like a fun day, and a very active one. You've got the competitive edge on me, that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                    I actually started on the challenge 3 weeks ago, with private yoga lessions, to focus on core strength, and strengthening muscles on the weak side of my back. I do aerobic exercise minimum 3x week, and stretching daily. I need to incorporate light weights, which I plan to start tomorrow
                    A few thoughts on supplements: The body can only absorb 500mg of calcium at a time, so divide your doses. Also, I agree that Vit D3 is vital, but is can become toxic. It is usually recommended to not exceed 800mcg daily. It is a good idea to get a serum Vit D level to see if you are deficient. Also, Magnesium can also help with chronic headaches ( I take 500mg daily). I recently saw a doctor (ex OB/GYN), who lectures around the country on bioidentical hormones. She just finished taking part in a five yr. study on the use of natural progesterone cream, and its affect on bone density. The study group consisted of post menopausal women, and concluded that they all increased bone mass with use of the cream. A nice alternative to the bisphosphonates, if it is true. I am willing to give it a try.
                    A word about sugar; yes it is bad for you, but artificial sweeteners are worse. A doctor and dietician where I work recently gave a lecture on this topic. The end product of these sweeteners, when broken down by the body, is similar to formaldehyde. The dietician recommends using organic sugar. It contains 15 calories per tsp. The key is limiting your intake, obviously. You have all probably read articles about artificial sweeteners contributing to abdominal fat. I asked the Dr. the reason for this, and she said the products are so acidic it causes the fat cells in the abdomen to "plump" in attempt to protect the internal organs. I asked the dietician how she deals with diabetic pts., and she said she still recommends organic sugar, and calculates it in to their carb count for the day. Just some food for thought.
                    Foofer- I know exactly how you feel. I saw Dr. B also this past week, and he recommended surgery also. I am tentatively on his OR schedule for June 7th! I am still in denial He said to "do my sit ups" and keep my BMI under 25 in prep. for surgery. If you are thinking of surgery, in that time frame, maybe we can be roomies!!
                    Good Luck to everyone this next month, we can do it!
                    Hi Lori,

That could almost make me sign up for surgery. Fun. Party in Room 3.

All the times I've been to see Dr B, he has said "Keep your weight down", and I keep forgetting to ask does he mean lose weight or don't go any higher. I've lost a pound or two each time I visit, and lost 20 about 5 years ago, before I ever came to NY for med visits. Just looked up my BMI after your post today, and it's 24.6. (Phew!), but I would like it to be lower than that, maybe 22. That would mean a weight loss of 15 pounds. My GP's, scoli docs...no one has ever mentioned losing weight, but I have to say, I could lose some. Especially since 5'4 1/2 inches became 5'3" and I do believe that was T-4 to sacrum, so the lovely accordion effect. Hopefully, that will come over time. Also, you got me thinking about the hormone issue, but I think I'm going to start a new thread...

Everyone else, I really am happy about the cross-section of talents here....lots of variety of exercise style and abilities- lots of great ideas. A few months ago, I got sick of taking supplements, just tired of counting out the daily ration and ordering more, etc. Time to put it back on the roster. Don't worry- I am only talking about the ones that are recommended by my doctors.

I want details tomorrow night.
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

hi Amy...
                      i've heard theory from several top scoli surgeons who claim that "thin patients are easier to operate on, heal faster".... but also "often need hardware, especially screws, removed about a year or so after surgery"...

course, there's "thin" and then there's "THIN"

best of luck...
                      jess

Comment

For my part, I ran 5k yesterday. Some walk breaks along the way, but my goal is to be able to complete the 5k as a continuous run. My legs do fine and I don't suffer from DOMS after, but my lung capacity needs to catch up. It would also help, I think, if I didn't persist in running after leg day at the gym.
                        Darrin, your instincts are good for breakfast. If you are going to hit the iron, aim for around 50 or so grams carbohydrates (i.e. whole wheat bread or oatmeal, no sugar). Carb counts will be on the food packaging. Milk is a good source of protein, but also has hidden sugars and should be low or fat free. I recommend about a cup of egg whites (you can include a whole egg or two), as you ought to aim for about 40 grams of protein in each meal from a low fat source. You can't absorb much more than 40 grams of protein at a sitting. Your body sheds the excess. Also beware of fruit juices. They contain vast amounts of carbohydrates (sugars) and calories. Fine so long as you are aware of that and consider the figures into your diet. Fruit and berries count in the same category. There are many, many good reasons to consume fruit and berries. Just be aware of their role in your diet.
                        I am a fan of the planned treat day. It helps take the tedium out of dieting and helps keep the body working due to change. I found after altering my diet that what constituted my cheat craving changed and I really couldn't stomach over indulging, even if I wanted to.
                        Somebody mentioned the BMI. Im my amateur opinion, I don't think it is a suitable measure of success for this particular group. It relates weight (or mass) to height. I don't know about the rest of you, but with a 70 degree curve in my spine, I violate the basic concepts on which BMI is founded. If I go with my actual measured height, BMI thinks I border on obese. Many of you have seen my posted photos before. I don't think I qualify as obese. To be fair, it also does not do well for anyone who is trying to add muscle mass either. Nonethless, if we are not our "true" height, BMI is inaccurate. Now try explaining that to the people from whom you are trying to get life insurance!
                        Hikerchick, I have one of those nasty, nasty foam rollers, too. Damn, I hope all that pain is actually doing some good.

Comment

Okay, I'm good for day one!

Yoga this morning: 15 minutes.
                          Gym workout: 20 minutes treadmill with 5 min. on a 15 % grade, circuit workout consisting of: pullups, push presses, back extensions, ab tucks on an exercise ball, hanging leg lifts for abs.
                          Day 1 of no sugar. I usually don't have sugar anyway, but had some last night (who can resist Halloween candy? not me!) so I'm back to counting the days again.

Comment

Day 1

Good day for me.....Monday is day off...had to drink a lot of green and white tea to replace coffee, but good for me, yes? Took a very long walk with my camera. Did some yoga at home (Mamamax- I laughed out loud just once to test it out- felt a little awkward but who knows?) , went to physical therapy and did some more exercises there. I had great energy all morning, not always a given, and then later I was sleepy. Now I'm wide awake again. Tomorrow is work day- always harder to fit everything in...

Hope everyone had a good day.

Hikerchick: I have a friend who swears by a protein and candy corn diet. I guess I don't recommend it, but talk to me in a week or so...

Twisted Lifter: Good input on the BMI- I wondered about that - it doesn't take into account any muscle mass. I do have some- muscle that is, but mountains under the ocean, I once read. Working on it. I gave up on a foam roller because I kept hurting myself with it- got a little too vigorous.

Darrin: Thanks for blasting us off this morning!
                            Amy
                            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                            Exercising to correct

Comment

Day one (a work day), found me actually taking time for a healthy breakfast and doing my yoga breathing in the morning. The Ocean breathing exercise is designed to expand and contract the rib cage and increase lung capacity over time. Was able to avoid the many sweets offered at work by generous co workers this time of year (this will be the greatest challenge). My goal today is to add one more breathing exercise this evening and begin some Callenetics - and continue focusing on an overall better diet.

Congrats to all who got off to such a good start on day one!

How did the gym go darrin? Your note on natural salt and magnesium caught my attention - I've used Himalayan salt crystal in the past to make a sole, think I'll go back to that.

Twisted Lifter, I think your thoughts on BMI among our small but select group is spot on - I'm going to see an osteopath in a few weeks and I think I'll run that one past him and see what he says. Good thoughts on food sources too - there really is a lot of hidden sugar, or sugar like substances out there! That you can run a 5k makes you my hero and alter ego :-)

hikerchick - you did it!!! Yoga in the morning is a beautiful thing. You also have a fitness level that I have never been able to achieve, but certainly do admire.

Foofer, great to deep six the coffee, I'm down to 1 cup in the am. Some say an apple first thing in the am is more of a wake up thing than coffee (may try that tomorrow). I'm sitting here giggling that you tried a little laughter - it does seem strange doesn't it? Congrats with the PT & high energy day!

Comment

Wow, Foofer, Love the photo! You should have quite an album by the end of the month.
                                Glad to read we are all off to a good start.
                                I got up at 5 this morning and hit the gym by 6 and had a good day of chest and biceps (with abs). Tomorrow is the same schedule except its Back Day (with a bit of calf).
                                I am switching leg day to Thursday for a couple of reasons. I need to run Saturday for the promised 5k and leave the lighter day of delts/tris/traps for Sunday.
                                I dont know about early next week. I have to fly to San Antonio Sunday until Wednesday for business. I will try to fit in something.
                                I was going to mention the only reason to cut out coffee and caffiene is if it doesn't make you feel good. From a weight loss standpoint, it enhances metabolic processes. But, if it bothers you, stop.
                                Continued good luck to all!

Comment

Working...
                                X