X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foofer View Post
    Hi All,

I'm enjoying this....thanks, Christian.

I've done quite a few 30 dayers. Usually I pick one thing and then do that, or not do that for the month. It's always interesting, and I always learn something. This summer, my husband and I gave up white sugar and white flour in the month of July. We are not diehards now but much better. The month of August we gave up going out to eat- had to eat every meal at home. That was hard. We work long hours and the kids have grown up and moved on...but we were doing it way too much. Sept I have been doing my neck and headache exercises daily, and it has truly helped, like amazing. The sad thing is that I probably will always have to do them, but that's okay. And yes, there are times when the game rules get broken, but I always just start again. You have to do that in life anyway.

So I'm looking forward to a "biggie" in November, but I also want to encourage everyone to try it, even if they only commit to one small thing. Baby steps are good and they are plenty enough for some. It's not easy to do an overhaul all at once. I'm so glad that we will have each other's company and input.

As for attitude, my lifelong tendency is to read a ton and vow to start tomorrow while the treadmill gathers dust in the corner. I do best with outside activities or structured classes, a little harder to do these days with bigger curves in several senses of the phrase. But I love it when I do it, and it doesn't take much to get motivated again.

This is a thread that I hope hangs around forever.
    Great Foofer!! I really enjoyed your comments on "baby steps." I am one of those that cannot just jump into some elaborate exercise routine ... I'm pretty convinced actually that it would do a whole lot more harm that good. I'm no exercise guru, but I do understand the true benefits of gradients and team support :-) Kudos to Christian for starting this thread and I also hope to see it around Forever!

Comment

Laughter Yoga :-)

http://www.laughteryogaamerica.com/

While surfing the net for an exercise program I came across Laughter Yoga. Where have I been .. this has been around for awhile but escaped me! I know it sounds funny - but after reading a bit about this and its connection to the immune system, etc, I am going to incorporate this into my "routine." No need to spend any money either - lots of free videos on the net. And this is something everyone can do & benefit from :-)

Comment

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
        This is a website that has a very extensive guide to exersizes and the muscles each works.
        You can also see little gifs that clearly demonstrate the proper form of each exersize.
        There is also a section that discussed risks of improper form as well as numerous other topics.
        Give it a read. It is a good resource.

Comment

Svaroopa Yoga

You might want to check out Svaroopa Yoga.

http://www.svaroopayoga.org/

I have been doing this for 5 years and have gotten relief. It provides relaxation of the spine and tailbone. Many of the positions are done sitting and lying down. There is also yoga breathing that they teach and meditation. Both help with the pain.

Read about embodyments. The yoga teachers are very well trained and can do embodyments (kind of like cranial sacral myofascial release). The yoga teachers do yoga therapy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Lifter View Post
            http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
            This is a website that has a very extensive guide to exersizes and the muscles each works.
            You can also see little gifs that clearly demonstrate the proper form of each exersize.
            There is also a section that discussed risks of improper form as well as numerous other topics.
            Give it a read. It is a good resource.
            This is a great website! It's so organized...I could sit here all day and watch all those little people exercising- and then I don't have to do it, right? Just kidding- I actually love it- it's just finding the time...making the time really. Thanks for posting this.

Backissues,

There's a lot of yoga in my town, but I have never heard of this style. Do you do it at home or are you going to a class?

Sometimes I attend a yoga class taught by an instructor that has been doing it so many years, the class has attracted a following of somewhat disabled persons...She does a "Restorative" yoga class and does that ever feel good! Again, the free time issue always is a challenge...
            Amy
            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
            Exercising to correct

Comment

Count me in!

I love doing 30 day challenges. Well, I should say I love starting them completing them for the whole 30 days seems to be an issue.

I already workout regularly, strength training and cardio at the gym, spinning classes. My thing I'd like to work on is daily yoga and stretching at home. When I do it everyday I really notice it by feeling better overall.

I try to eat a pretty healthy, anti-inflammatory diet by pretty much sticking to whole foods. I notice a huge difference in how I feel when I let myself have a "treat".

Comment

Backissues,

There's a lot of yoga in my town, but I have never heard of this style. Do you do it at home or are you going to a class?

Sometimes I attend a yoga class taught by an instructor that has been doing it so many years, the class has attracted a following of somewhat disabled persons...She does a "Restorative" yoga class and does that ever feel good! Again, the free time issue always is a challenge...

Foofer,
                You can do this in class or at home. If you do it at home, you will need some blankets and blocks. There are "embodyments" that are done by the yoga teacher on a one-one basis. Google "Svaroopa Yoga" or follow the link I gave and you will see what it is all about.

It is not the SAME as Restorative yoga, but if you liked that you will LOVE this.

Comment

Encouraging!

Christian0710, Good for you; this thread encouraged me!!! I have been trying to do that for a while, and it's great to see others' optimism. I was considering ending my gym membership but maybe will reconsider seeing all the classes which help you all. Right now I've found some relief through Earth Shoes - some of you with other complications (discs, etc.) may not want to try them though. I tried a pair over the summer and I was hooked - now I've traded in my entire shoe wardrobe. They have a way of making me straighten out. I got mine at Sierra Trading Post - good deals, can get usually half list price. I walk in them daily, adding a half hour including a slight hill, during my lunch breaks when possible. I think it's really helping. Of course I have to throw in a reminder for the most helpful book Curves, Twists, and Bends. Looks simple but amazing affects. I keep up with the stretches each morning and night, and I don't have much pain despite a 45 L curve. And of course my ball chair sold by Gaiam or on Amazon lets me sit all day now pretty much pain free. Go all you scoli conquorers! BTW I saw an ad on TV from the SRS on Scoliosis Awareness - a young adult girl was pictured swinging a golf club, and it said that scoli doesn't have to limit you, due to early detection. Also, I read a review about the Earth Shoes that someone "swears they cured their scoliosis". Not verified as I've not had another x-ray (Fall of 2011), but I'm optimistic. Unofficially, I'm in, using what I've done for the past few months. Yeah!
                  Last edited by dailystrength; 10-17-2010, 09:33 PM. Reason: double negative!
                  34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                  Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

I am finding new things to do for the challenge, too.
                    I am maintaining the workout schedule I have been doing for some time. Weights four days a week.
                    I have not gotten back to my pre-contest diet weight yet. I am still around 182 lbs.
                    What I have done is tried some running. This is very new to me and I was concerned about back pain as well as shin splints. I was concerned about the potential for a whole host of possible pains.
                    But I went for a run with my girlfriend on (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend on a very beautiful country road on a crisp but sunny morning. I managed 5K on my first time out with no ill effects. For the record, she went on and finished another 7k. Nonetheless, I had no back pain, and no sore legs, feet, shins, or ankles. I was very pleased about that. My back can get very sore walking around shopping for a few hours, so I was rather pleased about its performance.
                    My doctor says he can't think of any reason why I ought not try running.
                    I did some treadmill yesterday. The trick will be to run without losing muscle mass, which means upping my food intake to provide adequate fuel. Ooof. More food.
                    So, for my part of the 30 day challenge, I am going to try to run some more.

Comment

Nov 1 is MONDAY!

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this for awhile. Here's my plan:

Food-

The holidays are coming up and I don't want to go overboard, nor do I want to be the straight one during this time. Well, I would love to be straight, come to think of it, as in not-curvy, but I'm not....

So November is "None". December is "One". So for Nov- no sugar, no coffee, no alcohol, no fun. This year, 2010, I stopped wine (only poison {?} of choice for alcohol- okay...very occasional margarita) and coffee until around August when I added both in, but occasionally. Well, occasionally turns into usually which becomes almost daily. So that will stop. I actually eat very healthfully, but a bit too much- second portions, etc. So that will stop too. I plan to be just a little hungry. December will add on, but let's not go there yet...

Exercise:

After careful consideration, I decided to keep it very simple and stay with walking and yoga. Both of them can easily fall by the wayside when life gets in the way: Have to be at work early, don't feel well, it's Thursday and I don't like walking on Thurs, it's Halloween and witches may be about...you know. So I will walk to work every day- just about 2 miles and a very beautiful walk. I like to walk home too, so that would be about 4 miles, but after Nov 7 and daylight savings time ends- could be scary. Might have to find my headlamp and buy some pepper spray...

I have a Yoga for Scoliosis DVD and I also took a lesson for my exact type of curve. I've been working on it since, but again- I might be sleeping in, it might be Halloween or Thursday...maybe it's snowing outside and I'm achey...you know. So the excuses will have to wait until Dec 1st, and I will be perfect every day...

Spiritual:

I've been a little cranky lately, a little quiet, teary, a little gloomy- ever since Dr. B told me I should think about surgery soon, as well as other personal issues and sundry worries. I need an attitude adjustment. I need my prayers to feel authentic again. So I will make time for that, the very first thing in the very early part of the morning....and when I walk to work, I'm bringing my camera and taking at least one picture a day of the beauty I see and forget to love.

What's everyone else thinking of?

Where's our fearless leader?
                      Amy
                      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

Great posting Foofer. Helps inspire me. I particularly liked your take on the spiritual aspect - something I too, find to be very important.

Your comments on going straight during the holidays made me giggle ... yeah, that is going to be a challenge for me. I could easily be the one to gain ten pounds while attempting this 30 day program :-)

I'll be working on a better diet, geared towards certified organic foods known for their anti inflammatory immune enhancing properties, along with supplementation (Vitamin C, a multivitamin & liquid calcium/magnesium - vegetarian formulas). The exercise plan will involve some low key stuff like Callanetics (Callan Pinckney), Yoga breathing (Max Strom), a bit of Schroth and message therapy. And (don't laugh), Laughter Yoga. The spiritual will involve a focus on gratitude through journalling. Loved your idea with photography - what a nice way to stop and smell the roses :-)

Sorry you were feeling a little down, but you sure do sound like you've got exactly what it takes to pick yourself back up again. Sending good thoughts your way.

What's everyone else thinking of and Where is our fearless leader? Echo :-)

Comment

Hey guys,
                          Time seems quite ephemeral these days which means our 30 day challenge is right around the corner :-)
                          Before you read on, think about how great you want to feel after these 30 days. Visualize what you want to achieve with no restrictions. Belief can move mountains!

So far the 30 day challenge crew includes:
                          foofer
                          mamamax
                          Twisted lifter
                          Lorz
                          Darrin90
                          hikerchick
                          dailystrength

I have been doing some research on food and discovered how important a role nutrition pays in bone health and well being. Here are some recommendations and "food for thought"

No calcium without vitamin D!
                          Vitamin D3 activates absorption of calcium in the large intestines. So a 30 minute walk or eating lunch in the sun is advised, while taking cod liver, eating fish, butter every day (full of vitamin D)
                          Calcium deficiencies cause muscle irritability and makes the bones softer which is not good if you have scoliosis.
                          Remember calcium is destroyed when vegetables are cooked so calcium must be obtained from raw vegetables . Here is a lift for choosing what calcium foods to eat:
                          http://www.iofbonehealth.org/patient...ich-foods.html

Taking magnesium is also advised: some of the side effects of not getting enough calcium are,
                          tenaty (muscle cramps)
                          loss of muscle tone
                          osteoperosis

there have been cases where people have had muscle cramps, and the doctor told them to exercise, but it never helped until it was discovered that they were lacking calcium and magnesium which was the key to overcoming their cramps,

Limit bread and cereal consumption.

On a molecular level, bread and cereals (originating from seeds and grains) contain phytic acid which attaches calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc to its molecular structure hence making it unavailable for the body to absorb.
                          If you want to eat rice or other grains, soak them for 24 hours with 2 spoonfuls of rye flour. The reason for this is that rye flour contains lots of phytase which breaks down phytic acid so the grains become digestible.

No sugar or sugar drinks.
                          Every documented fact about the side effects of sugar by Nancy Appleton Ph.D.:
                          http://rheumatic.org/sugar.htm

Daily recommendation
                          In general see if your can comprise your meals of:
                          meat (fish, chicken, liver) You definitely want to get meat and eggs from free range animals. Grain fed animals don't contain a high level of healthy fatty acids (especially omega 3) which are essential for the body. The only reason why animals are fed with grains is because it fat's them up 3 times as fast (good for productivity and economics) grain fed animals will die if they don't get antibiotics due to the indigestibility of grains. People are getting sick from pork because the overuse of antibiotics have created resistant MRSA-bacteria pigs which make people very sick.

eggs
                          milk if you can tolerate is. many people lack the enzyme lactase which breaks down lactose and get all sorts of allergies as side effects of milk.
                          Raw vegetables (this is your chance to try a lot of new vegetables this month)
                          some fruits
                          Some soaked grains and soaked nuts (moderate consumption)

New habit when sitting down
                          Don't sit for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Get around and move every 30 minutes, or lie down on the floor so your discs can rest.

Exercise: This is really up to you. The books I recommended (especially health in your hands) has great exercises for scoliosis and back and neck pain. The website you guys posted have some great stuff as well. The important this is that we do it every day for at least 30 minutes. Activity promotes bone growth. The cells osteoclasts break down bone tissue when we are inactive for long periods of time. On the contrary osteoblasts promote bone growth when we move and exercise.

I really wish you all good luck, and let's keep posting in this thread during the month so we can keep each other motivated! If we find something to that helps very let's share it with everyone in this forum.

Best wishes you you all,
                          Christian Fischer
                          Last edited by Christian0710; 01-27-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Small point

Originally posted by Christian0710 View Post
                            Remember calcium is destroyed when vegetables are cooked so calcium must be obtained from raw vegetables .
                            Calcium is an element that exists almost entirely as stable isotopes and so cannot be destroyed by anything on earth outside of a super collider. Outside earth, it can be changed under super nova conditions.

Did you mean to say it is solubilized from vegetables during cooking and goes into the cooking water? That might be true. Or maybe you meant the D3 is destroyed?

Also note D3 has a certain toxicity if taken in high dose. Everyone should be checking with their doctor about supplementation.

Otherwise I think you are doing some good work on this, Christian.

Good luck to the players.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by pooka1
                              Calcium is an element that exists almost entirely as stable isotopes and so cannot be destroyed by anything on earth outside of a super collider. Outside earth, it can be changed under super nova conditions.
                              Yes what i meant is that it runs out into the water. It's good to have the chemistry basics mastered
                              Thank you for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian0710 View Post
                                Hey guys,
                                Time seems quite ephemeral these days which means our 30 day challenge is right around the corner :-)
                                Before you read on, think about how great you want to feel after these 30 days. Visualize what you want to achieve with no restrictions. Belief can move mountains!

So far the 30 day challenge crew includes:
                                foofer
                                mamamax
                                Twisted lifter
                                Lorz
                                Darrin90
                                hikerchick
                                dailystrength

I have been doing some research on food and discovered how important a role nutrition pays in bone health and well being. Here are some recommendations and "food for thought"

No calcium without vitamin D!
                                Vitamin D3 activates absorption of calcium in the large intestines. So a 30 minute walk or eating lunch in the sun is advised, while taking cod liver, eating fish, butter every day (full of vitamin D)
                                Calcium deficiencies cause muscle irritability and makes the bones softer which is not good if you have scoliosis.
                                Remember calcium is destroyed when vegetables are cooked so calcium must be obtained from raw vegetables . Here is a lift for choosing what calcium foods to eat:
                                http://www.iofbonehealth.org/patient...ich-foods.html

Taking magnesium is also advised: some of the side effects of not getting enough calcium are,
                                tenaty (muscle cramps)
                                loss of muscle tone
                                osteoperosis

there have been cases where people have had muscle cramps, and the doctor told them to exercise, but it never helped until it was discovered that they were lacking calcium and magnesium which was the key to overcoming their cramps,

Limit bread and cereal consumption.

On a molecular level, bread and cereals (originating from seeds and grains) contain phytic acid which attaches calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc to its molecular structure hence making it unavailable for the body to absorb.
                                If you want to eat rice or other grains, soak them for 24 hours with 2 spoonfuls of rye flour. The reason for this is that rye flour contains lots of phytase which breaks down phytic acid so the grains become digestible.

No sugar or sugar drinks.
                                Every documented fact about the side effects of sugar by Nancy Appleton Ph.D.:
                                http://rheumatic.org/sugar.htm

Daily recommendation
                                In general see if your can comprise your meals of:
                                meat (fish, chicken, liver) You definitely want to get meat and eggs from free range animals. Grain fed animals don't contain a high level of healthy fatty acids (especially omega 3) which are essential for the body. The only reason why animals are fed with grains is because it fat's them up 3 times as fast (good for productivity and economics) grain fed animals will die if they don't get antibiotics due to the indigestibility of grains. In Denmark we are having problems with people are getting sick from pork because the overuse of antibiotics have created resistant MRSA-bacteria pigs which make people very sick. Here are some pictures of the side effects
                                http://ekstrabladet.dk/kup/fodevarer/article1435270.ece
                                eggs
                                milk if you can tolerate is. many people lack the enzyme lactase which breaks down lactose and get all sorts of allergies as side effects of milk.
                                Raw vegetables (this is your chance to try a lot of new vegetables this month)
                                some fruits
                                Some soaked grains and soaked nuts (moderate consumption)

New habit when sitting down
                                Don't sit for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Get around and move every 30 minutes, or lie down on the floor so your discs can rest.

Exercise: This is really up to you. The books I recommended (especially health in your hands) has great exercises for scoliosis and back and neck pain. The website you guys posted have some great stuff as well. The important this is that we do it every day for at least 30 minutes. Activity promotes bone growth. The cells osteoclasts break down bone tissue when we are inactive for long periods of time. On the contrary osteoblasts promote bone growth when we move and exercise.

I really wish you all good luck, and let's keep posting in this thread during the month so we can keep each other motivated! If we find something to that helps very let's share it with everyone in this forum.

Best wishes you you all,
                                Christian Fischer
                                Excellent posting Christian - thank you! It's been a few years since i took a college level nutrition course, but your comments reminded me of all the many things we covered. We didn't cover the visualization exercise you talked about - but I think we should have :-)

The calcium, magnesium, vitamin D connection is, like you say, so important to the muscle/skeletal system. My supplement combines these three in liquid form, easy to take, and is not beyond the recommended need for my age group. Since I have yet to fully quit smoking - vitamin C is added to my repertoire in both chewable tabs and fresh OJ daily. Raw garlic to address inflammation. Water is vital enough that it has been suggested that water be added to the food pyramid.

Certified Organic is my choice in all food sources (vegetarian base for supplementation).

While supplementation can be valuable - it can also pose dangers. One can get too much of a good thing and there are vitamin supplements that can react adversely with prescription medication. Wise to be well informed.

Exercise ... like you say this should be based on personal need and ability. I remember once learning that 30 min a day is recommended, and also learning that this can be split into two 15 minute routines. I've learned the hard way, the importance of working on a gradient.

I've found the web links below to be most helpful in offering good information on all this - sharing:

Vitamin Deficiency, Dependency, & Toxicity
                                http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004a.html

Linus Pauling Institute: Oregon state University
                                http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/

USDA Food Pyramid Calculator
                                http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X