Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Forum - Considering Surgery

KathyK,
    I was diagnosed at age 28. I have a 40-degree lumbar curve and a 50-degree thoracic curve. It is idiopathic scoliosis. I have bulging discs and disc space degeneration. At the L4-L5 level, there is pressure on the L5 nerve root. There is ligamental and facet hypertrophy at L4-L5. The stenosis is worse at this level as well.

Did your mother have any surgery? Does she use a walker? wheelchair?

Hope this information helps you.

Thanks.
    Irene

Comment

hi Irene & Nancylynne
      welcome to the forum...
      there is much information, support and experience to be found here...

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Welcome Nancylynne welcome to the forum
        I'm Kara I had Scoliosis Surgery 6 months ago
        If you have any questions about the surgery feel free to ask
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

NancyLynne, Welcome to the forum. I remember feeling that mix of scared and excited when I found out the surgery was possible. First, yeah - they can fix this, then - ut oh they can fix this. I'm a 'baby' too. I've passed out from needles, and just about passed out from donating blood (for the surgery). My surgery was 4 weeks ago, I felt a braveness and a determination come over me a couple days before surgery. Even my husband was emotional the day of surgery, but I just knew I wantd/needed to stay calm. But, when I was being prepped just before surgery they put in an IV, I took one look and almost passed out (brave me). Shortly after that the anethesiologist came in and asked if I wanted something to relax me. That's the last thing I remember until I woke up from surgery. Being in alot of pain is a good motivator for surgery for sure too, especially if it's getting in the way of shopping. I just got out this weekend for the first time since surgery, and of course I went to the mall. I was in the dressing room, always a dreaded place for me with all those mirrors, while my daughter tried on clothes i dared look and I felt so good looking into the mirror. I didn't look squashed around my middle. Did your doc mention how many disks they would fuse? Good luck! You'll find out alot and recieve much support on the forum.
          Debra
          Age 45
          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
          Fused T4-T12
          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Debra,
            How many hours was your surgery? Were you in intensive care after? How was the pain controlled right after surgery?

Shopping without pain, without a cart to push ....Ahhhh!! That's something to enjoy!

Good luck.
            Irene

Comment

Jennifer,
              Looks like an amazing correction. You are a warrior, no doubts. Finish it up, don't let your guard down too soon. Blessings ~ The whole Davis family
              Surgery scheduled for January 2011
              by Charles (Ted) Shuff
              http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
              -- Samuel Johnson
              "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
              -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Voting for Ed

I'm scheduled for surgery but can't just say okay do what you do, I need to understand it first. I made a misstake by saying I was deformed when I was in 3rd grade and was attacked because of it. I faught back. I faught back hard. Here's a place we can meet. Scream people, ya know you wanna. Ed is my temporary hero. I'm sure that's alot of weight on Ed's shoulders. Quit lookin from afar, step in and lets get it all together. I vote ED. Fought?
                Surgery scheduled for January 2011
                by Charles (Ted) Shuff
                http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
                http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
                -- Samuel Johnson
                "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
                -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi, Nancylynne,

I just went to see Dr. Pashman today. My curves have progressed to 68/80. i was bursting into tears. I'm in S.CA too. I'd like to chat w/ you.
                  62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                  45/50 year 2000
                  36 yrs old
                  Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                  S. California
                  http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Working...
                  X