please respond with your recovery stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please respond with your recovery stories

I am scheduled for a Thoracic Fusion and Interumentation on 10/18/2010. They wanted to do it in 2 weeks but I'm scared and wanted to wait until next month.

Can you all tell me about your recovery time?

How long until you did not need help from family?

What kind of help did you need from family?

How long until you could walk at a normal pace and drive on your own?

Did you lose a lot of weight?

Did you have to have a repeat surgery?

Thanks
    LaShawn Hardy
    34 years old
    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz
    Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
    hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

re:

also, was it worth it?
    LaShawn Hardy
    34 years old
    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Hi LaShawn...

It would be helpful if you mentioned your age.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

re:

i am 34 years old
        LaShawn Hardy
        34 years old
        Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
        36 degree curve Thoratic
        Lumbar natural fusion
        Surgery Date 1/31/2011
        T2-L1
        Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Everyone recovers at their own rate and this varies considerably. It's impossible to know how you will recover but I feel that strength and fitness prior to surgery may help (my opinion only!) Of course, not everyone is able to build up their strength and fitness because of pain, and this doesn't mean you won't have a good recovery. I just feel that having that fitness optimises your chances.

Can you all tell me about your recovery time? I was in hospital 19 days due to pain issues but once home and in my own bed, the pain reduced to half overnight. I became dependent on oxycontin and suffered withdrawals then dizziness for several weeks, but by 3 months I was fine. Pain free and doing pretty much everything - with care.

How long until you did not need help from family? My partner took care of the house until about 3 months.

What kind of help did you need from family? I didn't need personal care, but I didn't do much in the way of housework, as I say, until 3 months.

How long until you could walk at a normal pace and drive on your own? I walked every day and I suppose I would have been walking at a normal pace from about 6 weeks. Because of dizziness, I didn't drive until 3 months.

Did you lose a lot of weight? No, I didn't lose any weight but I looked skinnier due to having my torso stretched out 2 inches.

Did you have to have a repeat surgery? Not so far, never hopefully!

I hope you get a good cross section of replies to give you a better picture of what recovery can be like.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Don't be afraid to ask for Xanax or something if you're having a lot of anxiety about the surgery. I started taking something 2 days prior to my surgery and it helped me so much.

Recovery time: I was in the hospital for 10 days. It should have been 5 but I passed out and fell from low hemoglobin (7.6!). I had to stay for a few more days so they could monitor me and get my pain under control. I was able to do a lot after 3 months, but I didn't feel much much better until about 7 or 8 months. I was probably fully recovered at 14-16 months.

Family: My husband took off work for 2 weeks, but it should have been 3. My mom and sister would come over for a few hours several times a week to help me out (dishes, bring/buy meals, etc.). Around 3 months I started cooking and cleaning a little. I did laundry the day after I came home from the hospital which wasn't the smartest thing.

Walking and Driving: It took me about 5-6 months to walk at a normal pace. I started driving around 6-7 weeks post-op.

Weight: I lost about 12 pounds after the surgery and managed to gain it all back after 3 months.

I didn't have to have another surgery and I hope I never have to!

The recovery process is so different for everyone. The time leading up to the surgery is almost worse than the actual recovery.

Shell
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

You are younger than I was, my surgery was April 2010, at 49 years old.
              I will answer below. Feel free to also pull up my blog and read archives of April 2010. www.scoliosisthejourney.com. I was fused T3-L2, mostly thorasic for me. What will you be fused?

Can you all tell me about your recovery time? First couple of weeks are pretty hard, but you don't remember alot of detail. By 3 months I was able to walk a mile, bend and twist within reason. Once I got off my pain meds at 9 weeks, I started feeling alot better. A little more pain, but I still take Motrin every 4-6 hours. My mind and body felt better, I do not like medicine in my body. I went back to work part-time at 4 months.

How long until you did not need help from family? My husband did alot of the day to day for me. Never needed personal care as I was able to take care of personal needs from time I left the hospital. I had a chair for the shower, removable shower wand, a grabber, and raised toilet seats. I was not left alone until the 3rd week. And then I had my Mom or Dad popping in to "check" on me quite a bit. I had a hospital bed in the living room for 7 weeks. By 8 weeks I was able to help out more, unload the dishwasher, just not doing more than a plate or two at a time, I could do the laundry, one piece at a time. (should of milked that a little longer) I was starting to feel like myself by 2 1/2 months.

What kind of help did you need from family? Visiting, food, going out for walks with me.

How long until you could walk at a normal pace and drive on your own?
              at 4.5 months I still don't walk as quick as I did pre-surgery. Still very stiff and sore in lower back. I could drive on my own by 8 weeks. Still can't do head checks as smooth as I would like. That will come. Cars are still uncomfortable. I try to walk 1.5-2.0 miles a day. And lots of Phys Ther exercises.

Did you lose a lot of weight? I lost 15 lbs, looked sickly. 5'9" after surgery and was down to 120 lbs. I have now gained the weight back. I had thrush at the beginning and did not eat much at all. Also lost 5 units of blood and was just not eating. Build up lots of muscle pre-surgery if you can. Eat lots of protein.

Did you have to have a repeat surgery? 4 weeks later I was back in surgery, they opened me up about 10 inches to scrape all my tissues, yes, they found infection and that was a whole other journey. But all is good now!!

Hope that helps. I am so glad I did the surgery. I look forward to a long, healthly life now. You will do great. Preparation is key.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
              Post op 13 degree curve.
              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Don't be scared! I was absolutely terrified, but all went well

Can you all tell me about your recovery time? was in the hospital for 7 days, taking heavy meds/in a lot of pain at home for about 3 weeks, then it started getting a lot better. after a major setback at 2 months post-op, it was all smooth sailing from there and i was off ALL meds by 9 weeks post-op.

How long until you did not need help from family? a month and a half maybe...at first you need help with every little thing...

What kind of help did you need from family? washing hair in shower, putting on shoes/socks, putting on shirts (i couldn't lift my arms), making meals, getting me comfy in bed, picking up stuff, driving assistance...

How long until you could walk at a normal pace and drive on your own? 2 months i felt completely back to normal

Did you lose a lot of weight? yes, i lost 15 lbs... but gained it all back eventually i didn't have an appetite at all during my recovery.

Did you have to have a repeat surgery? when i first woke up from surgery, it was determined i had a misaligned screw, so they had to go right back in the next morning... no "revision" surgeries though

Comment

Originally posted by fusedspine View Post
                  I am scheduled for a Thoracic Fusion and Instrumentation on 10/18/2010. They wanted to do it in 2 weeks but I'm scared and wanted to wait until next month.
                  Can you all tell me about your recovery time? I am still in recovery . My surgery was May the 4th and I will be in recovery for a full year according to my Doctor
                  How long until you did not need help from family? I did not really need that much help as I went to rehab straight from the hospital for 10 days before I went home. I really liked that as I learned how to do most things for my self there.
                  What kind of help did you need from family? The help I still need is getting items from the floor that I cannot get with my grabber and carrying things that are too heavy for me to lift. I need help like putting dishes in the dishwasher as I cannot bend that low
                  How long until you could walk at a normal pace and drive on your own? I really had no problems walking when I let the rehab. My Doctor told me that I could drive at 6 weeks but I do not like to drive because it it not pleasant as it hurts my back. I really only drive if I have to.
                  Did you lose a lot of weight? I lost 20 pounds and gained back 2 inches that I had lost
                  Did you have to have a repeat surgery? Not yet . I am only 4 months from my first surgery on September 4th.
                  Thanks

Melissa Beckoff

Comment

re:

how was it getting comfy in bed and what did you do to get comfy in bed? Did you find big pillows helped ?

Was the drive home?

how was it sleeping with your partner? If he slept in the bed with you. My hubby is going to take 30 days paid off of work. He is the type that will want to stay by my side at all times. Will this test him or should I have him sleep in another room or what.
                    LaShawn Hardy
                    34 years old
                    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
                    36 degree curve Thoratic
                    Lumbar natural fusion
                    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
                    T2-L1
                    Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

re:

Did the surgery affect your sex life?
                      LaShawn Hardy
                      34 years old
                      Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
                      36 degree curve Thoratic
                      Lumbar natural fusion
                      Surgery Date 1/31/2011
                      T2-L1
                      Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

LaShawn,
                        You will need a foam topper for your bed. 2-4 inches thick. I feel its mandatory, it will double your needed sleep time in your recovery. Its hard to sleep when you get home.

Many soft down pillows are needed. That’s a must also. They are easier to adjust the height of your neck when laying on your side. Buy them as soft as possible.

Sleeping with someone will be difficult. You need your sleep when you can get it, without disturbances, and then you will wake up and keep your partner from sleeping. You sleep like a cat for the first few weeks....

Having your own bed by a bathroom solo, is probably the best scenario.

I used a hot bath for pain control.

The only way I will answer a sex question here is with a simple "yes"
                        And remembering that "adaptability is key" ... Hmmm.........
                        Post of the month? You betcha. LOL
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

re:

Thanks! I have a bathroom in my bedroom so I will have my hubby move the bed to the other side of the room.
                          LaShawn Hardy
                          34 years old
                          Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
                          36 degree curve Thoratic
                          Lumbar natural fusion
                          Surgery Date 1/31/2011
                          T2-L1
                          Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

I went back to finish my last year of high school only 6 weeks in to my recovery. I'm almost 6 months postop i'll be 6 month postop next friday. i still have almost 6 months to still recover from my spinal fusion
                            I only needed my mom's help for about a copple of weeks like 3 weeks
                            She helped my to get out of my bed, walk with me
                            I walked the frist time with out my walker only like 4 or 5 weeks, I used it the first 2 weeks back at school so people whold be careful a round me
                            It 9 pounds i lost i'm still going to lose weight
                            well no this was my first one and hopeful last spine surgery
                            Kara
                            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                            T4-L2
                            Before 50T
                            After 20T

Comment

I wanted to jump in with a quick suggestion for pillows. I am using a pregnancy body pillow to sleep with. Someone in the hospital suggested that and it has worked wonderfully. I usually add one regular pillow to give a little more support and hold a heat pack (microwavable not electric) to the part of my back that is bothering me the most at that time. I just wish I had this pillow when I actually WAS pregnant!

Comment

Working...
                              X