Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the brace affect your physical activity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the brace affect your physical activity?

My daughter is almost 14 and had been diagnosed but not yet treated - we are seeing the spine doc in a week or so. One question I have is if she is braced, how will that affect her physical activity? Can she still dance and stuff, or not? Thanks.

Originally posted by Hanaliy View Post
    My daughter is almost 14 and had been diagnosed but not yet treated - we are seeing the spine doc in a week or so. One question I have is if she is braced, how will that affect her physical activity? Can she still dance and stuff, or not? Thanks.
    Physical activity is very important for scoli patients, especially if they are wearing a brace. She should still be able to dance, as long as she feels comfortable doing it. Sometimes if the curve gets to large, it's hard to do some of the turns, etc due to the change in the center of gravity.

But ballet and dance are great to work the muscles when the brace comes off. Lots of girls in ballet and dance just take off their braces during dance class. It's very good therapy for their spines and makes the spine more flexible and a greater chance of success with their bracing.

Good luck!

Comment

Most doctors allow the brace to come off for physical activity. With the brace off there're no limits. But look into the schroth method for scoliosis online. Some moves are really bad for scoliosis! Just recently I discovered this after doing the moves everyday during cross-country practice! Good luck!
      Lindsey D.

Embrace your Curves!

Comment

Hey Lindsey,

I am curious as to what moves you were doing for cross country that were bad for scoliosis? I only ask because my daughter does cross country as well and I wonder if there is an exercise or something she should be avoiding? Thanks!!

Stephanie
        Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
        10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
        07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
        12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
        2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
        3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

At 14 it's very possible your doctor may not order a brace at all.

It's all going to depend on whether or not your daughter has stopped growing. They generally go by 2 years after the start of menses.

Unless her curve(s) are severe (over 45 degrees) or are progressing at a rapid rate, you'll likely be told to bring her back every 6 months for x-rays to check for progression.
          Mother to 14 yo Cheyenne. Surgery 8/23/10 Shriners, SLC.

Comment

Working...
          X