Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times Article about scoliosis genetic test

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/he...=me&ref=health
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Can anyone post a link/pubmed ID to the article they used for validation? On the scoliscore website the reference they have listed is a review by L Dolan, so I think they have it misidentified.

Comment

Gene test for Scoliosis

I think there is a good chance that Scoliscore will be proven to be a useful predictor of which children are most at risk for curve progression.

There is plenty of precedent that genes impact how well the body responds to various disease processes. Heredity has been associated with how well the body defends itself against diseases like...

The Flu
      Infectious disease experts in Australia have identified a mix of genes that make people eight times more likely to suffer for longer, and experience severe symptoms, once they fall ill.
      Meningitis
      Genetic differences that make some people susceptible to developing meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia, and others naturally immune, are revealed in a new study of over 6,000 people, published in Nature Genetics.
      Leprosy
      An international research team, led by Dr. Erwin Schurr and Dr. Thomas Hudson, Scientists at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, have identified a gene on human chromosome 6 that makes people vulnerable to leprosy.
      However it's important to keep in mind the enormous volume of world class wipe-outs that occur in the field of genetics.

A Decade Later, Genetic Map Yields Few New Cures

One sign of the genome’s limited use for medicine so far was a recent test of genetic predictions for heart disease. A medical team led by Nina P. Paynter of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston collected 101 genetic variants that had been statistically linked to heart disease in various genome-scanning studies. But the variants turned out to have no value in forecasting disease among 19,000 women who had been followed for 12 years.

The old-fashioned method of taking a family history was a better guide, Dr. Paynter reported this February in The Journal of the American Medical Association.
      If Scoliscore ultimately fails it won't surprise too many people in the scientific community. It happens (usually quietly) all the time.
      Last edited by Dingo; 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skevimc View Post
        Can anyone post a link/pubmed ID to the article they used for validation? On the scoliscore website the reference they have listed is a review by L Dolan, so I think they have it misidentified.

There isn't one--only an abstract from SRS.
        Check out the previous discussion here. Concerned Dad posted the link to the abstract. It still works.

p

Comment

Dr. Sigurd H. Berven, an orthopedic surgeon at the University of California, San Francisco, said such screening was expensive, and he added: “There’s little evidence that it does much good to screen children in the seventh or eighth grade. It’s much more important to identify patients with early-onset scoliosis, children in elementary school or even before.”
          Well, thank God my daughter wasn't served up on a platter to an orthopedic surgeon!

I thank you Joseph O'Brien and the NSF and any other persons involved, from the bottom of my heart, for your efforts at implementing school screening. I'm sure I speak on behalf of many, many parents.

Comment

Working...
          X