Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello All. Please Take The Time To Read This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All. Please Take The Time To Read This.

My name is Valerie. I am a fourteen year old girl who has been in a boston brace ever since age 11. The brace has taught me so much. I wake up every morning, grateful that i have a big hunky piece of plastic strapped to my back, because i am not struggling to get out of bed with a crooked back. I just thought I'd say, to all of you new brace wearers, and ones who may be getting a brace soon, or ones who have been in one for a long time and are ready to give up, that YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We walk around, and we wish we didn't have scoliosis. It's not fair. It's not what we want. We all want straight spines, and to top it all off, we have more problems in life to deal with than scoliosis and a brace. But you know what.? I am so happy that i got to wear this. It has been a completely miserable road for me. But it has TAUGHT ME TO BE THANKFUL THAT I AM NOT WORSE OFF. Thankful that i am still able to move around, and thankful that my back is not so bad to where people can tell. My curves have even become less noticeable with this brace. I am so very thankful for this brace. I have cried, I have screamed, I have hit the brace and threw it around, I have been grumpy, I have been sad, I have been hurt, mad, disappointed, and distraught. I remember the very first day i saw the brace. When my orthotist came in the door with that- thing.. i could NOT believe my eyes. i had NO IDEA it would be a hard piece of clunky plastic. I said, "How in the world am I supposed to wear this.?" But now I've learned how to wear it. Now I can finally say that i only have 2 more months to wear this thing. So.. all of you out there, don't be afraid to talk to someone about your brace. Don't bottle it up until you explode. Talk to someone. I am here to help you. Yes i may be only 14.. But I am still a person who has something in common with you. I have scoliosis. My motto has become: "hey, don't question it, embrace it." and that is exactly what i have done with my scoliosis. Sure, there were times when I lost hope and wanted to give up. BUT I DIDN'T. What if i had given up? Where would my spine be now.? Would it be to Texas.? Would it be to China.? Would it be to the South Pole.? Who knows.? But it is where it is right now, and thank Heavens it isn't any worse. This Brace has been building up and hiding wings for me [and all of you] for about 3 years now [at least for me]. When the day comes that i get to take it off, Those wings will bust open and allow me to soar. I will shout, and scream, and sing, and most likely cry tears of joy, [I am pretty emotional.lol] and probably look dorky. But hey, I deserve to act like a dork after three years of plastic back. Smile, hold your head up high, and don't let anybody stand in your way. People ask you about it.? Say you want to become a model when you're older, so you wear it to shape you. It's true.. you will be a model- a role model. A role model to those who will go through the same thing you went through. It will shape you, too. It will correct and protect your curve, and it will make you a much more thankful person. Set a good example for others, and let your inner and outer beauty shine through. You are a very beautiful person. So.. I say to all of you fellow scoliosis people....... Get ready to soar.
    Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
    I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
    My curves were 30 and 31
    I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
    I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
    I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
    I want to meet some new people on this forum!
    Don't be shy...
    Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Valerie,

You are very inspirational and know how to make the best of something that is not easy to deal with. Thank you for your post!!

Brooke

Comment

I think that you are wise beyond your years, absolutely beautiful! Thank you for such an inspiring post!
      Sandie
      Fusion is scheduled for November 4, 2010
      T10 - S1

Comment

That was so inspirational! I want to copy and paste it to keep on my bulliten board for tough days in the brace! BTW- I <333 Hollister! so cute clothing
        Lindsey D.

Embrace your Curves!

Comment

Great words of advice which i will share with my daughter. CONGRATULATIONS on beginning the weaning of the brace. Only a couple months to go...you must be so excited!
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Thanks all!

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post! I am glad it touched some of you!
            Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
            I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
            My curves were 30 and 31
            I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
            I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
            I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
            I want to meet some new people on this forum!
            Don't be shy...
            Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Working...
            X