Nate's VBS Update and Photos/Xrays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations, Gayle and Leah!!!

Wow, 12 degrees!!! Seems like only yesterday you were in the agonizing stages of waiting for a surgery date. I could not possibly be happier for you guys that things have turned out so well!!!!! Your post made my day :-)
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks, ladies! Yes, time flies, and it is so good to be on the other side of surgery. I guess what most impresses me about VBS is that it is actually a definitive treatment of the curve, a way to permanently reduce the curve without fusion. Since I was a "sucessfully" braced child myself and still ended up needing a major fusion surgery in my early 40's, I am happy that VBS offers Leah a chance to avoid all the back problems I have been through as an adult.

Leah has been involved in a fabulous running and positive health program called Girls On The Run this spring, which trains them to run a 5K race. She completed a practice 5K successfully a few days ago, and loved it.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

That is such great news about Leah! Her x-ray looks virtually straight. I am so impressed with that procedure and I wish my son's scoliosis had been treatable with VBS.

Congratulations!!!!
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
        X