Daughter just diagnosed! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
    I've had PM's where people are actually AFRAID to post because of the backlash that will ensue.
    If evolution deniers become afraid to post to science groups, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

If astrologers become afraid to post to astronomy groups, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

If homeopathy enthusiasts become afraid to post to medical groups, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

If Holocaust deniers become afraid to post to history groups, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

The answers to those questions are the same for this group and alternative treatments attested to by people who aren't trained to attest to them.

And by the way, I have no relevant training so I'm in the "lay" group also. Everyone here is except McIntire on the topics he has clearly specified. But that said, there are some general science principles which are in play and which you seem to dismiss, perhaps because you aren't aware of them. This is a question of specific knowledge and NOT intelligence... an important difference that you misunderstood in one of your posts. An example is the need for controls. If you'll re-read Linda's comment, the experts in the field of scoliosis agree with that. They agree this is an Achilles heel in the previous research. You and others simply don't like what the experts say. Fine. Nobody cares.

So how did I, with no relevant training in scoliosis, come to the same conclusion as the bulk of these experts? Magic? No... basic science principles. You and others might do well to ask yourself not what you know but what you might be missing instead on banging on attacking people who do agree with the experts.

If you can't attack the idea, attack the person. That's how it goes around here with some folks. But they wouldn't be doing that if an expert said the IDENTICAL things I say.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon

Can you just STOP! You don't know when to quit lady. Instead of making your point, your prefer to run everything into the ground until everyone else just gives up and you get the final word in.

I've seen you personally attack people on this site for their religious views, do you remember that teenager that you put under the gun? Please don't deny this, the only reason you've quit is because Linda forbade religious discussions here.

So now you're saying that you're not this all-knowing scientist? You've made this claim many times. You are extremely arrogant and self serving. I'm not really sure you have anyone's best interests at heart, it appears to me that you just want to be right every time.

We're not stupid and we're not putting our heads in the sand. We know there are limitations to bracing just as there are limitations to surgery (and the consequences are much greater and permanent vs. bracing). You need to let people have the freedom to express and exchange ideas and information on this forum without hijacking every single thread.

Has it occurred to you that you're being counterproductive to your own mission? Do you really think that anyone wants to wade through pages of exchange when you're repeating the same thing over and over. Be real.

You would serve your purpose better to succinctly state your position ONCE and let it be.

Comment

So now you're saying that you're not this all-knowing scientist? You've made this claim many times.
        This is a lie. I challenge you to find a post where I claim this even once much less "many times." No scientist is all-knowing. In fact most have learned that the more you know the less you know. So basically you are projecting your ignorance of this topic onto me and I dont appreciate it. Please cut it out.

Ask yourself about the quality of your arguments when you need to start lying to make your point.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I've seen you personally attack people on this site for their religious views, do you remember that teenager that you put under the gun? Please don't deny this, the only reason you've quit is because Linda forbade religious discussions here.
          And just why would I ever want to deny that? Do you see the bias you bring?

She was threatening innocent kids with fire and brimestone burn in hell forever nonsense (please excuse that redundancy).

This a group about a serious medical issue. Folks who disagree can join that prayer healing group. I wish them luck.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sherie, don't be part of the game. I had open this thread http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...753#post103753 .
            If honest people want to debate, to advice or to alert to other people, but respecting others points of view, they would only do this in this thread, allowing other people to share information about what they think could help, even some people think is ridiculous or insane.
            If they continues with the same arguments in others thread like this, is becouse they have other intentions and you can not prevent that.
            Only Managers of this forum could.

Comment

Originally posted by bbrian35
              Back in the day, you would have insisted the world was flat, because science has shown this to be.
              FALSE.

Nobody could have possibly showed the world was flat scientifically.

Think about why that would be.

Faith is not a way of knowing.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                And just why would I ever want to deny that? Do you see the bias you bring?

She was threatening innocent kids with fire and brimestone burn in hell forever nonsense (please excuse that redundancy).

This a group about a serious medical issue. Folks who disagree can join that prayer healing group. I wish them luck.
                Oh for Pete's sake Sharon. That was in the kids' section. She (Sparklegirl59) was a 13 year old girl with a strong faith and most of her posts were like the ones in this thread: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...girl#post60549

You took great offense at them and blew it out of proportion and then thought she was some kind of adult stalking the children on the forum...

You get sooo super sensitive when anything religious is said, that you go into some sort of paranoia. All those posts from that one thread are gone because Linda removed them. For people of the faith, there is just no way to separate faith from our being-- it is an integral part of us, just like our breathing.

I'll never forget this quote from you, when you and I were going back and forth in the "prayer and medicine in research" thread (p. 6 if anyone is interested), in the research section-- and yes, I had permission from JOE to start that thread, so please don't delete it, Linda, even though it deals with religion... and if it's true, (your quote) then I'm glad I have a dysfunctional brain:

"We know that certain brain pathologies like temporal lobe seizures are often accompanied by hyper-religious feelings. You cure the seizures and the hyper-religious feelings go away. Normal religious people might have these same pathways but they aren't abnormally active like in the seizure patients. Atheists are missing these pathways."

That's all I'm saying about this-- I don't want to dredge up anymore of the past, but for you to say she was preaching hellfire and brimstone or whatever seemed too much. She really "blessed" a lot of people on here too, you know.

Adding on: I always felt badly that her mother pulled her off because of the conflict/alleged bullying from adults...
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM. Reason: add on
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

And there she goes again. Can't anyone see, in Sharon's eyes, only Sharon is right. We must all be uneducated, blithering idiots who have gained nothing through our experiences. And shame on us for having an opposing viewpoint. Maybe there should be an "All Sharon, all of the time" section where we can post and she can use all of that scientific knowledge to show us that what we see happening in our cases can't be happening without a documented study of some sort.

Comment

Yes that brain research is very interesting although what you re-posted has some speculation/prediction on my part (not the temporal lobe seizure stuff... that has been shown). More is being done using fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging. Hopefully we will explain religious belief on a neurochemical basis eventually.

It is likely the case that credulity was a positive trait in evolution of humans. That's why I say atheists, people like me who simply can't believe, are probably missing some key brain pathway for belief. But in the modern world, it is no liability but rather is an advantage in some ways though a disadvantage in others, to be missing that pathway.

Religious folks are slightly happier and live a bit longer on average than atheists. That, however, cannot be separated from the placebo effect of wishful thinking.

It's all brain science. The rest is commentary.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
                      I think you might like fixscoliosis.com. This group does not deal with science or evidence or results (the latter according to one of the chiros on there).
                      Sharon-- I consider that mean-spirited and uncalled for.
                      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by bbrian35 View Post
                        And there she goes again. Can't anyone see, in Sharon's eyes, only Sharon is right. We must all be uneducated, blithering idiots who have gained nothing through our experiences. And shame on us for having an opposing viewpoint. Maybe there should be an "All Sharon, all of the time" section where we can post and she can use all of that scientific knowledge to show us that what we see happening in our cases can't be happening without a documented study of some sort.
                        Here, read this... it will help you understand why you think you are being attacked when only your ideas are being criticized...

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress....cks-on-clergy/

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                          Sharon-- I consider that mean-spirited and uncalled for.
                          Okay I'll delete it then.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I don't feel as though I'm being attacked. I just wonder what drives you when are quite obviously not here to do anything but advance your own cause and berate others who don't see the world as you do. Your obsessive posting on so many threads pretty much speaks for itself. I don't know whether to laugh at or feel sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by bbrian35 View Post
                              I don't feel as though I'm being attacked.
                              I disagree.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                                I disagree.
                                That's okay. You may disagree. It's nice that you kept it short and to the point. Very Nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X