No announcement yet.

Check out this correction and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthes was the company of choice for my surgeon. I have the USS II - posterior and the Synfix-LR - anterior. Dr H apparently uses these products to teach future spinal fellows at our Medical Uni. I agree with Ed, they seem to have all bases covered.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

information from members

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Hi Elizabeth

Good to see you posting again.

Placement of pedicle screws is challenging. On one of my levels, I was wedged, and in the hospital report, it said that a clear trajectory was not obtainable. One screw was omitted. A C arm was used.

http://www.medical.siemens.com/sieme..._eng_DRUCK.pdf

Ultrasound is used. Steinman pin or K wire used for depth check.
      http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/neur...r/tlscrew.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9755762

http://www.ijoonline.com/article.asp...8;aulast=Rajan

Hope this helps
      Ed
      Thanks Ed
      Always impressed by the knowledge the members have on this site. I have gathered a lot of articles from Spine and related journals (my work allows me to access many journals free thru' our library). I know the library does not subscribe to the Indian J Orthop - great to add the additional info
      Susan
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
      Spinal fusion 1961
      HR 1981 T3-L4
      Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
      Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
      [FONT]

Comment

Ed, I'm sure you make a very good living now and love what you do. I know what I'm going to "wish" form you already do, in a way (and for free, God bless you).

But it would be lovely if you (or someone like you - as if there WERE another) were available as a trained lay person, to evaluate and guide patients through the labyrinth of decision making as we approach this surgery.

Patient advocacy services are supposed to offer such care (for pay), but I don't see how they could train to know as much as you do, in advising people about this very specialized field.

There are many professionals I've met who got into their advising services after becoming "inadvertent experts" . They educated themselves to handle their own or family members' needs in a given field. One example are a few really good college financial aid planning and guidance services. By the second or third child, they WERE experts! They wanted to share this hard won knowledge base.

There's a crying need for this kind of guidance but what patient advocate could learn as much as you did? They work with ALL areas of medical care.

Oh well, we're very lucky to have as much as you and Linda as you're willing to give us - not even counting the free inspiration you provide (which may be the most important of all).

What service could offer "inspiration guaranteed"?
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
          But it would be lovely if you (or someone like you - as if there WERE another) were available as a trained lay person, to evaluate and guide patients through the labyrinth of decision making as we approach this surgery.
          Yes exactly. And we could have a nick name or a code name for him... I suggest "Counselor Snookems." We would use that term when we want advice on scoliosis or advice on how to maintain a huge image file that is instantly searchable for just the right picture to make any given point or advice on how to fail at moving multiple women out of your house or etc....

As ideas go it can't fail!
          Last edited by Pooka1; 07-19-2010, 09:32 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X