pictures of my back: Scoliosis, lordosis and kyphosis. Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christian0710 View Post
    What's the difference between a winged scapula and a rib hump??
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey Pooka,

I think a rib hump is when the ribcage is deformed protruding in some area of the body, The winged scapulae is when the shoulderblade is not functioning properly, and winging when using the arm to press against a surface.

I will have my x-rays done on July 30th at 8am. I can't wait!!!

Today i was preparing dinner, and suddently ifelt much neck pain and got a head ache. I felt frustrated, but then i discoverd i was using my arms improperly, pulling my shoulders foward to cut the vegetables which made my neck muscles tigthen up. It's difficult to always have to monitor my posture, but i know it's nessecery for now.

Comment

Yes, i got my x-rays taken yesterday, so now i have to wait 2 weeks to see them together with my doctor, then i hope he can send them to my email so i can post them here

I am having one problem: Every time i get down on all four (arms and legs as when doing push ups) I feel my neck tighten because my upper trapezius muscles contracts. When the upper trapezius is stiff, headaches occur. By adducting my shoulders the stiffness goes away but it feels as if something is still not right. Is anyone having the same problem? I would like to figure out how to solve it.

Comment

Hi Christian, how absolutely wonderful to read about your journey so far with your problems. You rang a bell with me ,as when I found out about my scoliosis (my curve was pretty bad), but one side of my body the muscles were weak and the side where the spine had curved to the muscles were a lot stronger. Just thought I would mention that.

You are so in tune with your body your posts are just a pleasure to read. Talking about posture there is a technique called the Alexander technique that some people have found a tremendous help, just a thought. there is a lot of it on the net to read about. I really wish you heaps of luck.

Lorraine.
          Last edited by Lorraine 1966; 08-01-2010, 03:49 AM.
          Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
          Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

When I do my PT exercises, my left side is clearly weaker than my right in all respects. Also on neuro exams my left leg is alway weaker. I think we scoli people are uneven in more than just our spines. I work the weak side just as hard as the strong side, however, hoping that I can even things out eventually.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

i think one side is always trying to make up for the other...one side is always stronger due to the curve(s)....or so a doctor told me....his daughter had surgery with Dr B. a few years ago...great outcome...
              but i am still..."on the fence," as he says...

jess

Comment

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for mentioning that. Has your curve decreased? And which exercises did you do?
                Yes I have heard Alexander technique is very good. I will have a look at the Alexander technique, when I am finished reading all the other books on back pain :-)

rohrer01: It would be interesting to to some exercise experiments while listening to our own body. If the theory is that the muscles are tightest on the side to which the curve goes, maybe we could exercise the weaker side just a bit more than the not so weak about 3-4 times a week and see what happens after a month? Just an idea, and i still need more knowledge on the subject

Exercises that have actually helped me very much with neck pain the last month are:
                Chin tucks and face-lying neck lifts. Whenever sit and read I use my longus cervicis and lungus capitis (check them on google, they are also referred to as neck flexor muscles and are important for neck pain sufferers) to look down. So instead of bending my neck forward, I keep the back of my neck long by tucking my chin to tilt my head downward to look at the book which strengthens the front neck flexor muscles. Yea I look like a chimpanzees while doing it, but it's pain free :-)
                I'am currently reading the book "Fixing you: Neck pain and headaches" And I sent an e-mail to the physiotherapist who wrote the book with some pictures. In the book it describes how the shoulders are often the culprits of neck pain, because if they are sitting too low on the back the levator scapulae (which attaches from the neck to the shoulder blade, check google) are overworked, causing neck pain and headaches, and if the shoulders are hunched as in my case, my theory is that my upper trapezius is doing all the work, creating headaches.

Lower back pain and the multifidus muscle
                Another interesting fact from the book "The multifidus back pain solution": Many people with diagnosed disorders such as scoliosis (up until 40 degrees), spondylolisthesis, spondylosis, shauermann's disease don't nessecarely feel lower back pain. But one thing almost every lower back pain sufferer had in common was an abnormality in the multifidus mucles. Therefore exercising those muscles is very important according to the book and research done in it. Before I begin exercising them too much I need to fix my winged scapulae, and neck pain. It has decreased very much the last couple weeks, and one day I will become pain free.

Comment

Hi Christian, I had to have the operation, but am so enjoying this thread. I would love if someone could give me some lower back exercises as sometimes I just feel if I could streeeeetch them it may help with the pain.

Emma. welcome to our scoliosis Forum, I found your post excellent as well. Christian you are contributing so amazingly well to this forum, so glad you found it,. Hey come on the rest of you young ones, give me some more tips here, honestly they could help with the pain. It certainly wont hurt it.

Lorraine.
                  Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                  Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Honestly, lately I've been trying a number of exercises given to me over the years by physical therapists. I'm finding that some of them are excruciatingly painful and others not so much. I'm listening to my body and avoiding the painful ones as they seem to bring on more of a "nerve" pain. I realize my body is changing over the years, so what was good for me 20 years ago may be harmful now. It is very good advice to listen to your body. You may be surprised at how much you are still able to do.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Sitting down back stretch
                      http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0/DSC00464.jpg
                      http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0/DSC00468.jpg
                      http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0/DSC00463.jpg

Hey guys, I have been experimenting with sitting down while eating and I really find that sitting in this way while eating feels amazing on the back. Instead of the discs being compressed they are stretched. This requires that you tuck in the chin so you don't extend your neck and get a stiff neck.

Simply spread your legs to let your body slide forward and let your arms rest on your legs and then start eating

There were 950 applicants wanting to get into physiotherapy this year and they only took in 145 applicants, so unfortunately I did not get in this year, so I decided to pay for an exercise instructor education which takes a month of intensive learning, then gain some experience working in a gym and then get into the fysiotherapy program next year. I can't have a job where I have to sit down and read all the time, and I got to respect that.

Does anyone have any good books on kyphosis and lordosis they could recommend??
                      Last edited by Christian0710; 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Wow, that feels wonderful Christian, Thank you so, so much for taking the trouble to take these photos and I have done them and it does help, you are the best.

Lorraine (Hugs across the sea)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorraine
                          Wow, that feels wonderful Christian, Thank you so, so much for taking the trouble to take these photos and I have done them and it does help, you are the best.

Lorraine (Hugs across the sea)
                          Thank you for taking the time to try it out!
                          I'm glad to hear it feels good, and you are very welcome Lorraine :-)

Reminder: Lying in bed on the side
                          When I lie on my side I often feel that the upper lateral side of my neck gets tight (probably my sternocleidomastoid or scalene muscles) which is the side facing up toward the ceiling. This probably occurs because I don't want half of my face to avoid the pillow from touching my eye . I found out that my head was tilted more to one side (the side facing upwards) which made a twist in my neck muscles, by twisting my head so it's completely in line with the rest of my neck and spine which made a big difference.

Raising my shoulders stretch

When i shrug/raise both my shoulders to the ears while elongating my torso by sucking in my belly and using the abdominal muscles to lengthen the spine i feel a very nice stretch in the back along the spine. It feels amazing.

Comment

It certainly does and takes a lot of the tension away from the back of my neck.
                            These exercises are not painful or agonising, they are just simple, easy ones that dont have any sore after effects for me.

thank you once again,
                            Lorraine.

Comment

Tmj

Hi Christian... i was wondering if you could let me know wht this is? thanks

Comment

Scroth method and exercise

Hey guys. I am trying to read and understand The Scroth scoliosis three dimensional curve book and I must say, It's hard to comprehend everything in that book. Anyone reading the book? It's loaded with informative information, but really takes some time to understand.

So I have left lumbar scoliosis, which makes my right rib cage concave, so I believe (without being 100% sure) That the right lumbar muscles are inactive and the convex sided muscles are very active (making them look bigger). I tried to make up some exercise to activate the right inactive side, where I extend my right leg and reach up towards the doorframe with my right arm while breathing into my right concave ribcage.

Scoliosis Exercise testing
                                http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...kextension.jpg

What do you thing about the theory? And have any of you studied the torsion of your spinal column? On a frontal plane the spine bends to one side, but on a three dimensional plane it could rotate to a completely different side which is what makes the problem so complicated to solve.

Lucida, Here is a little information about TMJ.
                                Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is pain in the jaw joint that can be caused by a variety of medical problems. The TMJ connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the skull (temporal bone) in front of the ear. Certain facial muscles control chewing. Problems in this area can cause head and neck pain, facial pain, ear pain, headaches, a jaw that is locked in position or difficult to open, problems biting, and jaw clicking or popping sounds when you bite.

Comment

Working...
                                X