The benefits of being fused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Back-out View Post

Jennifer, did you have any problems with degenerated disks? Sometimes I worry, on their account, I wouldn't have anything like the same pain relief from the surgery even if successful otherwise.

I honestly don't know! I had a herniated disc years ago, and my surgery involved laminectomies and osteotomies - does this sound like I had degenerated discs? I had arthritis in my lumbar area, but like magic, that's gone now that I'm fused (no movement possible.)

I can't remember ever being told that I had disc degeneration. Sorry to be so clueless.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Personally, I never had trouble using the "S" word especially since thanks to school screenings it's part of current parental patois.

And until the last decade, it was negligible in its effect on my appearance partly because I have a very long waist. (Whoops! Make that, "HAD"). Now all of a sudden, it's a very big word indeed though for me, "KYPHOSIS" is the really ugly sounding - and looking - one.

Face it, humpback is an ugly term. I confess I'm indulging in light reading at night to help me drop off, and after rereading the (fabulous) James Herriot series, I'm delving into -- oh, well, Harry Potter.

I find myself VERY offended by all the hags etc, with "hump-back" she highlights. Guess I can't really see her referring to them as "spinally challenged" (0r whatever) but I still mind.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

hey Jen
        herniated disc..or discs plural? that was the start of my degeneration......disc degeneration, i mean...

if you look at any of your pre-surgery reports from MRI's...or a myleogram, if you had one..even an Xray..it would be mentioned...but you dont have to bother now...since you no longer have to worry about any of it!

so glad for you that you had good results!

jess

Comment

Anybody notice that driving now is easier? I guess quite a bit has to do with the ergonomics of the seat, but I feel its easier to sit longer. Heated seats are a must!

I no longer have to stand in the shower, leaning against the wall, boiling my back for 30 minutes for relief.

No more trips to get a massage. That might not be a benefit, I really enjoyed mine. Lets nix this one.

Minimal trips to the Chiro. They keep calling me, asking "Are you ok?" I have mixed feelings about this, they really kept me going all these years.....

Its been about 20 years since I've been to the movies....I have forgotten what they are like? How much is the popcorn now? LOL

I know this might sound bad but, its easier to get out of work.... Does this rate high on the list? You bet it does....

Bad Kitty........
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

hmmmmm...ED....i actually kinda enjoy boiling my back when nothing else works, when the pain meds have reached a point of no return, so i just stop taking them...a boiling hot shower and sleep....and then deal with it in the morning...and hope no rain is in the forecast again..

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 06-23-2010, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Jess
              Since this thread is about benefits of fusion, I figured Id mention it. Now, for pain relief before fusion, hot water no doubt, is the ticket.

Using hot baths in surgical recovery is very helpful for pain control.

I have not been in my bath tub since May 2008.

Yes, it need cleaning. LOL
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
                I believe I was depressed for about 10 years before getting scoliosis surgery on June 8th. I didn't like living the with the deformity. I can now wear tighter tops and can now go swimming in a pool or at a beach with my children!!!!!!!!!! That makes me soooo happy.!! Last year they would always beg me to go to neighborhood parties and wanted to me swim with them, I always had to make an excuse up as to why I couldn't go swimming.

For years, I was embarassed to go to a pool or a beach, even with good friends, because I didn't want everyone staring at my back. I didn't feel comfortable within my own skin. I always like the winter season better because I could wear a nice big sweather and cover up with my coat.

I was always worrying about how I looked standing in front of another person. If I dropped a paper on the floor and work I always had to reposition myself so no one would see my bend down!

This is so strange that I am sharing this all with you and writing it down because before I deciding on getting the surgery I hid the fact to everyone that I had scoliosis. I never talked about it, I always tried to hid it. It feels so much better to get it out in the open. I only started talking to people about it when I made my decision back in November 2009 to have surgery. Now I feel like a million bucks since I did have surgery. I saw what it did to my 80 year old grandma when she died last August. She had 2 100 degree curves and was in a wheel chair. She could barely walk, she breathing was terrible, she looked awful, and she shouldn't have had to live like that. With the technology today. I feel like there is no reason for people with really large curves not to have it fixed.

JenM
                Hi, JenM,,
                I totally feel what you are saying..it's like the words from my mouth and my heart. How was your scar? All I want is to have a straight back and able to wear bikini and go to pool. I am the same way when I have to bend down to pick things up and try to hide it.

I do feel that my life would be completely different perspective if I have a straight back and not to try to hide scoliosis...
                62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                45/50 year 2000
                36 yrs old
                Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                S. California
                http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  I know this might sound bad but, its easier to get out of work.... Does this rate high on the list? You bet it does....

Bad Kitty........
                  LOL Ed! Yes, bad kitty...
                  Laurie
                  Age 57
                  Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                  Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                  Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                  Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                  Dr Munish Gupta
                  UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

This is a great thread. I ditto most of what Chris said--being able to stand and cook as long as I want, being able to stand and sing which is a biggie for me, being able to do that slow, wandering- through- stores type of walking and all without pain. That, and having the constant worry about your back out of your life is such a burden lifted. Even though I am not perfect cosmetically, I am so much straighter, ribs are no longer resting on my pelvis, and like Lynette, feel as though I have been given a new lease on life. Right now, we're on our annual vacation at OBX with a group of friends and I can't believe how much has changed in my life since the last time I was here a year ago!

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Ed, I'm glad you started this thread, but it makes me sad.
                      I realized as I was reading through all the benefits, that I have lost the ability to do many things I enjoy.

Shopping - I use the "excuse" that I don't like to see what I can't buy. The truth is, it hurts to walk around for a long time. My hubby was taking a long time in the tool section of Wal-Mart and I actually sat down in the middle of the isle. It was embarrassing, but I was soooo tired!

Cooking - I have always loved to cook. I get so achy and tired trying to stand there for long enough to make the food. All I can do when dinner is over is go lay down.

Swimming - I love to swim! But when I tried swimming for exercise, I realized why I can't turn my head to breathe during the crawl stroke. It doesn't move that way!

Driving - I do the board move when I try to look at blind spots. I now have to turn my whole body as though it is already fused... I guess I won't have to re-learn how to check blind spots after surgery!

Playing - I can't hold and play with my grandson the way I used to play with my own children. This saddens me because I'm only 41. My "plan" was to have children young so that I would be young enough to actually enjoy my grandkids. I love to climb trees! I tried it a couple of weeks ago...BIG mistake. What goes up, must come down. The land really hurt my spine! Shhhh... don't tell my family. They get mad at me when I do "stupid" stuff. I did a "stink-bug-rollover" aka summersault and hurt myself REALLY bad. I'm sure I still couldn't do that after fusion, though.

The list could go on... I just never realized how limited I am.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        hey Jen
                        herniated disc..or discs plural? that was the start of my degeneration......disc degeneration, i mean...

if you look at any of your pre-surgery reports from MRI's...or a myleogram, if you had one..even an Xray..it would be mentioned...but you dont have to bother now...since you no longer have to worry about any of it!

so glad for you that you had good results!

jess
                        Only the one Jess - that was enough. I have an elderly friend, a man in his late 70s, who currently has a herniated disc. It's been months and the poor man is still in horrible pain. Oooh it's brought back bad memories for me.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm guessing because I've not had the surgery, but I can imagine a day when the Victoria's Secret catalog comes, as well as the Gaiam catalog, and instead of checking out the back braces and stretching gizmos in Gaiam, I throw it away and order a bikini.
                          Amy
                          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                          Exercising to correct

Comment

There are some negatives as well you know

I was told that I can never do the following

ride amuse park rides; do white water rafting; go ballooning, in case you crash; roller blade,bungee jumping. There were several other that I cannot remember at the moment . The one that I really will miss is roller coasters but I will not miss the pain in my back more.

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by foofer View Post
                              I'm guessing because I've not had the surgery, but I can imagine a day when the Victoria's Secret catalog comes, as well as the Gaiam catalog, and instead of checking out the back braces and stretching gizmos in Gaiam, I throw it away and order a bikini.

I used to check out motorcycles but now I stop folks and check out their fancy motorized scooters and walkers with perks. It would be nice if that could be reversed, if only to look at cars instead of mobility aids!
                              Last edited by Back-out; 06-24-2010, 12:41 AM.
                              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Jeez mbeckoff ... not to be able to ride amusement park rides... ever again? Is that something that goes for everyone that has had fusion? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a bit new.
                                Surgery scheduled for January 2011
                                by Charles (Ted) Shuff
                                http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
                                http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
                                -- Samuel Johnson
                                "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
                                -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X