Jen M's June 8th surgery with Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very strange about the weight gain!

I'm curious how you feel pain-wise on a scale of 1-10 now, Jen (and the others who had surgery last week). Has it gone down drastically? What can and can't you do at this point?

Comment

From reading this forum, I think the weight issue is another area where we differ enormously. I didn't lose a gram, but my extra 2 inches stretched me out and I *looked* a lot slimmer. Best of all, I got rid of a groove at my waist on my right side, where I was "wedged in".

It's amazing how we are all so different.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I did get 2 units, also got Lasix and look bloated. Don't feel bloated but am taking laxitive tonight. I have only gone once since surgery. Also only in hieght gain.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

The gain is probably due to swelling. In rehab they weighed me and I'd gained 20 pounds! I couldn't figure out how it was possible having had very little food for about 12 days! That will probably go away relatively fast. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Jen,

you sound like a different person than I talked to last Wednesday. I'm so glad you have come around the bend. Just know that you will continue to improve; it takes a while but you will get there.

Call me whenever you need to.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
              Janet-

I'm sooo glad you mentioned that!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it either! I didn't eat anything at the hospital since I was so nauseous. I for sure thought I lost about 10 pounds after my surgery but when I got home and weighed myself I gained 10 pounds!!!! I couldn't belive it!!!! Janet, did you get any blood transfusions? I received 2 units back of my own blood and I think this might count for some of the weight gain. My belly looked like I was preggo! I thought most people lost about 20 pounds after this surgery!!!!!!

Does anyone know why you gain weight?

Thanks,
              Jen M
              Jen,
              the same thing happened to me. I came home, and although I looked slimmer, the scale showed 10 lbs heavier. Over the next month, I lost that 10 lbs and more. I think it was water weight.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Just guessing...weight gain could be caused by combo of swelling, all the liquid they pump into you in the hospital, possible water retention from meds, constipation and (of course) the hardware. The books suggest you will probably lose weight when all is said and done. I'd give it a few weeks.

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I had come home heavier from the hospital too, I looked 6 months pregnant, but thankfully the swelling does go down, and as you start to wean off the meds, your bowels start to function more normally too. Unfortunately the meds keep us blocked up!
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                  Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                  Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                  Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

My surgery was 6/8 and I left the hospital on 6/16 weighing 10 pounds heavier and barely ate anything at the hospital. This morning I hopped on the scale and lost that 10 pounds plus an additional 2 pounds. I'll explain what happened to me in another thread last night as to why I lost the weight so fast. Have to say it was the scariest night of my life!!!!! I am still terrified by it!

JenM
                    Last edited by JenM; 06-22-2010, 05:08 PM.
                    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Looking forward to hearing your experience Jen, and glad it ended happily (it did, right?? )

I wonder how all that water retention affects ones bathroom calls at night after the surgery. My guess is post surgically (for a month or two), you have to get up numerous times at night to pee - during the day too, but it's those "Night Calls" that concern me as I am wobbly at that time. Doesn't help that after two bladder ops plus cord damage, I have various kinds of incontinence. (Just finished a big URO work-up to try to come up with a differential dx) .

*Sigh* But forewarned is forearmed. I KNOW I need something steady to grip as soon as I stand up from sleep - meaning, already now, much less later!
                      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I gained weight after surgery, too, mostly due to fluids from blood transfusions and eating really well once I got home. Yes, I had to get up a lot at night to pee. The narcotics made me thirsty, so I would drink, and then have to go again. That was one of the worst aspects of being in the hospital. The nurses would have to come in to get me up since I couldn't get those compression stockings off by myself. I felt like I no sooner went, then I had to go again. I still have to watch my salt intake/fluid retention but the more I walk and swim, the better I feel. I still keep my elevated toilet seat at my upstairs bathroom, just to give me a little more security when I get up at night and am very stiff. That's getting better, though.

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                        X