Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pathogens

Mamamax

Why couldn't there be a yet unidentified link between scoliosis, genetic/familiar weakened immune systems, and pathogens (viral, bacterial, fungal, parasitic, prionic)?
    When Dr. Moreau wrote that exposure to harmful bacteria might be a factor in curve progression I wasn't surprised. Pathogens cause more harm to humans than all other environmental factors combined.

Exhibit A)
    Malaria causes 250 million cases of fever and 1 million deaths annually

Interest in pathogens began to increase after Australian scientists proved that Ulcers were caused by chronic bacterial infections.

This was from a few days ago.
    Gut-Residing Bacteria Trigger Arthritis in Genetically Susceptible Individuals

This was from last year.
    High Blood Pressure Could Be Caused By A Common Virus, Study Suggests

No doubt heredity and lifestyle play a role in susceptability.
    Last edited by Dingo; 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Osteopontin in the news

From Dr. Moreau's patent
      OPN-knockout mice do not develop a scoliosis (NS) even if they are in the same genomic background (C57BI6/J)
      From the interview
      This experiment indicates that OPN is required to trigger scoliosis onset.
      Evidently Scoliosis is not the only disease that OPN is involved with.

Genetically removing the osteopontin protein prevents lung diseases

When Does Being Obese Not Lead To Diabetes? When Mice Lack Osteopontin

Molecule linked to autoimmune disease relapses identified (Osteopontin)

Osteopontin and the skin: multiple emerging roles in cutaneous biology and pathology

OPN is secreted in autoimmune diseases such as lupus erythematosus, and influences inflammation of immediate and delayed type allergies and granuloma formation. The authors describe that OPN is overexpressed in psoriasis and propose a model to study OPN function in psoriatic inflammation. Through cytokine functions, OPN supports immune responses against Mycobacteria and viruses such as herpes simplex virus. OPN is also implicated in skin tumor progression. Overexpression of OPN influences invasion and metastasis of melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma cells, and OPN expression in melanoma is a possible prognostic marker.
      Last edited by Dingo; 06-23-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I have a 5 year old son that I am really concerned about. His sister is recovering from scoliosis surgery. Should I get rid of the fish tank in the living room? ANY other ideas of what I can do to decrease his chances of getting scoliosis? I do NOT want him to have to go through what she did!
        Thank you.
        Gina
        "With God All Things Are Possible"
        Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
        to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Trs

ArabianFancy

Torso Rotation Strength Training For Scoliosis

If your five year old already has Scoliosis you may want to consider strength training when he gets a little older. I believe a 7 or 8 year old can fit into one of these machines.

If your five year old doesn't have Scoliosis I wouldn't worry about it. The odds are good that neither he nor his children will suffer from Scoliosis.

Although genes may (or may not) increase the likelihood that a child will suffer from Scoliosis nobody knows for sure what triggers it. Identical twins are routinely discordant for Scoliosis. The largest and most recent twin study found relatively low concordance. If one identical twin had Scoliosis the other had it just 13% of the time.

Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in twins: a population-based survey.

Another thing to keep in mind is that although some families are hit hard by Scoliosis roughly 2 in 3 cases occur seemingly at random.
          Last edited by Dingo; 08-07-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X