Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you wearing a shoe lift after surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you wearing a shoe lift after surgery??

Just curious..I had my surgery in 2006 post/ant fused T11-L5
    Last appmt(last Aug) I asked the Doc about a shoe lift as it seemed I had to bend left knee a bit to make myself balance/straight-er. Now I wear a shoe lift when I can (right foot) big bottom curve was on the left.
    Of course I'll probably get a new shoelift or two as it is worn down now.
    I feel the difference when I wear sandals lately that I'm off without the lift..

Doc left it at saying my x-rays were good & I just needed a shoe lift..? No real explanation..My back fused area feels fine & striaght so maybe the hips shifted a bit...ugh, I really don't like to think about it...LYnne

I wear a shoe lift, but not a heel lift, mine is too big to be inside a shoe, so it has to be made into the sole.
    It was roughly explained that my hips were very uneven due to deformity, scoliosis, etc, and so during puberty one of my legs did not grow as long to compensate for the obliquity. Since the hips were corrected during surgery i have to wear a lift now.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

I also have needed a shoe lift post surgery. As an adolescent, my left leg also did not grow as well and wound up shorter and I limped and needed a lift on my left shoe. As my scoliosis grew worse I did not need the lift as an adult. However, with the significant improvement of my lumbar curve as well as some derotation of that curve, I again need a lift. I physically feel a lot better with the improvement in the lumbar curve and don't mind wearing the lift so much. I still have a large thoracic curve.

Comment

When I'm standing, I feel straighter if I lift the heal of one foot slightly. I asked my surgeon at the first post op visit whether he would recommend a shoe lift. He said no which surprised me. Since then, I think it has improved though I still feel as though one leg is slightly shorter than the other.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
        X