Cost of Cheneau Brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Cheneau Brace?

I'm curious if anyone knows the rough cost of the Cheneau brace? (specifically from Orthotic Solutions). They are not a preferred provider for our insurance company (Aetna) and to be honest, I'm not even sure if Aetna will cover any of the cost. This is the wording I'm finding:

III.Scoliosis braces
    A.Aetna considers the following types of braces medically necessary durable medical equipment (DME) for the treatment of scoliosis:

1.Standard thoracolumbrosacral orthosis (TLSO) brace
    2.Boston scoliosis brace
    3.Charleston scoliosis brace
    4.Milwaukee scoliosis brace.

B.Aetna considers the following types of scoliosis braces experimental and investigational:

1.SpineCor Dynamic Corrective Brace
    2.Providence Scoliosis System
    3.Copes scoliosis brace
    4.The Rosenberger brace.

We'll call them tomorrow but was curious if anyone had any info.
    Thanks!

Jessica
    Mom to 11 year old DD who was:
    diagnosed 5/09: 8*L, 8*T
    braced 7/10: 17* L, 25*T, 20*C
    x-ray 11/10: 7*L, 17*T, 20*C (x-ray immediately OOB)
    most recent x-ray 06/11: 17*L, 24*T, 22* C (x-ray 24 hours OOB)

Hi Jessica,

I have no personal knowledge of the Cheneau, but Chris (mamandcrm) has had an amazing result so far with her daughter's Cheneau through Luke, and I recall they had some insurance coverage of the brace.

Hopefully Chris will pop in soon and give you more info. You can also search through the threads for Cheneau and find her old posts about their experience with the brace and insurance. It seems like Luke's office should also be able to give you more info about this.

Good luck!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

As I understand it, the Cheneau is basically a custom-moulded TLSO that has sections cut-out. Hopefully you would be able to get your insurance company to cover it as a standard TLSO.

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
        As I understand it, the Cheneau is basically a custom-moulded TLSO that has sections cut-out. Hopefully you would be able to get your insurance company to cover it as a standard TLSO.
        That's what I'm hoping for!

Comment

There is a Schroth outfit in Wisconisn (not sure which) that is charging nearly double for this brace than you can get it elsewhere. BigBlueFrog posted about it. If you avoid that place then you will be fine.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Jessica, I would suggest you call Orthotic Solutions and tell them what your coverage is. They may be able to call your insurer for you and tell you what is covered. They are in-network only with Blue Cross/Blue Shield I believe, which we have, so we have been covered. However, we have a high deductible so we pay the insurance rate out of pocket, final costs being about $2800. With absolutely no insurance kicking in, it's $4500 I think. We used to have Cigna and they paid a decent amount toward the brace (I don't recall what). Anything over that was our responsibility. Hope that helps. Also, just FYI, the brace is a TLSO (custom molded) but does not necessarily have cut outs. G's first RC had no cut outs, and we later had them done just for better air circulation. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
            Last edited by mamandcrm; 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM.
            mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
            Providence night brace, increased to 35*
            Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
            14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
            Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
            currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Ooh, that's interesting Mamandcrm - could you possibly tell me what the difference is between a custom-moulded TLSO and a Cheneau (if there is one)? All of my braces when I was a child were custom moulded whilst I was on a frame to derotate me (the same EDF frame that my plaster bodycasts were applied on) so I thought the Cheneau sounded pretty much the same, however someone told me that they were different because the Cheneau had these cut-outs too.

Thanks

Comment

My daughter has a providence brace and Aetna paid for most of it last summer. We did go to a network provider. I think we had to pay about $350 for it. I was worried about it being considered experimental too. I hope things haven't changed because I think she has almost outgrown this one. We go back to the Dr. June 30.

Comment

Ok, whew. Made Helen's appointments at Orthotic Solutions. Her first one, which will include the scan, is next Monday.

They will charge us $3800 for the brace and submit a bill to our insurance company for $4500. Our insurance will reimburse us 80% after a $1500 deductible, so it looks like we'll be paying about $2000 out of pocket.

Comment

Hi tonibunny,

I don't think I can really answer your question as I don't know how other custom braces are made. The one specific difference I know of with the RC is that it has an expansion area at the top (brace sticks out a bit) for more comfortable breathing. It also is designed to derotate but I don't know the specifics of that. Up until a couple years ago, it was physically casted (lie on a table and have strips put on you), now at the practice we go to, they use CAD/CAM (?is that right?) to scan her torso, then make the cast from that, and then the brace, then trim, bend and cut further from there. Anyway, many of them DO have cut-outs, some probably for orthotic reasons, but many for the ventilation and comfort. G's was solid to start as she didn't want any ventilation cut-outs, then changed her mind later on. She also has had various holes cut since in her braces as she grows and the orthotist "remodels" it for her to adjust for that and her curve. Don't know if that adds anything to your understanding but it's all I've got!
                    mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Thanks mamandcrm! That's really helpful

Comment

Found it

The people who want $6,000 for the brace are Scoliosis Rehab in Steven's Point, WI.

This should be a sticky so folks know who to avoid for this brace.
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

While Scoliosis Rehab Inc. in Wisconsin advocates for the Rigo-Cheneau brace, they do NOT make, sell or profit from this brace, nor have they ever. The above information is untrue.
                          Last edited by bas2101; 06-16-2010, 08:06 AM. Reason: careless error

Comment

Clarifying Information

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            The people who want $6,000 for the brace are Scoliosis Rehab in Steven's Point, WI.

This should be a sticky so folks know who to avoid for this brace.
                            I am one of the founders of the first Schroth-based clinic in the US (scoliosisrehab.com). My child was a patient of Dr Manuel Rigo and Beth Janssen (the other founder). Physical therapy for spinal deformities has been utilized in Europe for over eighty years and in Asia and the Middle East for several decades. I felt strongly that people in the US should have this option as part of the medical-model continuum of care for spinal deformities (i.e. watching and waiting, exercises, bracing, surgery, post-surgical management).

ScoliosisRehab works with patients of all ages, braced or unbraced, in everything from the SpineCor to the Rigo Système Cheneau brace. Because of the symbiotic relationship between the Rigo Système Cheneau brace and the physical therapy exercises, this is the brace we recommend when asked. To the best of my knowledge, the only certified, authorized orthotist for the Rigo Système Cheneau brace in the US is Grant Wood who is located in California. As a courtesy to our patients, Mr. Wood comes to our clinics quarterly.

I would like to clarify misinformation that has been posted on this forum. ScoliosisRehab does NOT have and has NEVER had any economic relationship with Mr. Wood. We do assist patients in scheduling with him and provide him with a work space when he is at our facilities. ScoliosisRehab does not know how or what Mr. Wood charges individual patients for his services, whether or not a specific insurer will reimburse the cost of the orthosis, or how this compares with other orthotists’ services. For more information about the Rigo Système Cheneau brace, please refer to Mr. Wood’s website, www.grantwoodortho.com.

My thoughts are with you as you deal with your own or your child’s diagnosis of a spinal deformity.

Comment

Just FYI, Luke Stikeleather at Orthotic Solutions also is a trained, authorized maker of the Rigo Cheneau brace, and has been for quite some time.
                              mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Working...
                              X