Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books, experience and inspiration to fix the problem!!

Glad the office visit went well Christian & I know you look forward to more information following the xrays. You are in Denmark? Nice, I have always wanted to visit there. I don't know much about the health care system there, but free sounds good to me! Thanks for the scanned page from your book - do you have any info on using the pelvis to create movement so that the lumbar spine stays stretched instead of flexing the erector spinae when seated? You know why

Curvycakes: I'm glad to hear that your surgery has been working effectively for you. How many surgeries have you been through? And what do you still need to work on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamamax
    Glad the office visit went well Christian & I know you look forward to more information following the xrays. You are in Denmark? Nice, I have always wanted to visit there. I don't know much about the health care system there, but free sounds good to me! Thanks for the scanned page from your book - do you have any info on using the pelvis to create movement so that the lumbar spine stays stretched instead of flexing the erector spinae when seated? You know why

Yes I am living in Denmark. My dad if from Texas so that's where I got my English from Yes I could recommend you visit here sometime in the future. It's a lovely Country.
    Regarding the way of sitting: Try placing a beanbag/book/ball on the top of your head while seated, in that way your spine posture should stay neutral. My problem is that I have Kyphosis so my head tends to tilt forward when sitting, this creates lot's of tension in the neck muscles and creates lordosis as a compensation mechanism. When you lift yourself of the chair, place a hand on your lower back, and make sure to lift yourself in a way so your lower back muscles (erector spinae) don't flex. Play around with it, until you feel your pelvis is united with your lower back.

I believe the diaphragm has a lot to say too because it's directly linked to respiration.
    Try extending your ribcage from the lower region (elongating the spine) with no air in your body. Quite hard huh?
    Then try doing the same thing taking in a breath and see how far it rises. That's my next problem. I forget to breathe properly and deeply when working at the desk, so my body is tensing up.

I was thinking about creating a thread called "Anatomical theories" in which we can discuss different theories about exercise and anatomy, concerning scoliosis, kyphosis, lordosis, etc and what feels right, but I feel I need more knowledge and experience before starting a thread like that.

Best wishes
    christian

Quote Originally Posted by mamamax View Post
    ... yep credit goes to Daily Strength, I apologize for not mentioning that she was the official original forum finder :-)
    ha ha... okay, you can have the honors.... after all, I didn't write it .
    34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
    Current: 50L, 28T

Quote Originally Posted by Christian0710 View Post
    Hi Dailystrength,
    Congratulations with your 5 degree reduction!! That's great to hear and very inspiring too.. What did your "year of the back" entail? It seems that we have the same kind of scoliosis: I have the lumbar curve (don't know to what extent yet) and a compensating curve in the thoracic region, so maybe we would benefit from some of the same exercises.

I just ordered the curves twists and bends book yesterday, so I can't wait to get started. At the moment I started reading the "Anatomy of movement" by Blandine Calais-Germain, and learning the whole gamut of anatomical language (proximal, distal, superior, inferior etc.) It's amazing. It's like learning a new language. I think education is very important when having these problems.
    Thank you, Christian! Here is my thread of what I worked on in the past year: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10493. The book you are reading sounds excellent. When I read in the Schroth book (I think it was that one) about the pelvis being out of balance as a cause - in their opinion- it helped me try to see which ways my hips were uneven, and to work on reversing this through postural awareness. I hope you find the Curves book helpful, it does take a fair amount of patience. I finally feel this is getting out from controlling my life... I need to be aware much of the time, but it is not slowing me down much. Today I vacuumed three rooms with no pain. I try to exercise - walk - daily, and lately I've added swimming in the pool as it's refreshing also, after work.

And yes, chairs = torture machines, but as I was sitting in the buss today, I discovered what one of the big problems with chairs is; the pelvis is not aligned with the rest of the spine because of the way one sits. If you unite the pelvis and torso as one object, so the movement comes from the pelvis and the back follows as one unit it actually feels good. Then your spine is always straight. I found out that by placing my hand on my back at the erector spinae muscles (the muscles on each side of your lumbar and thoracic spine) I can feel if I am using my back properly when getting off the chair. If the back muscles flex I am destroying my back, but if I move so they don't flex but instead extend, it feels amazing!
    Hi - I just wanted to mention that I have found the Giaim Balance Ball chair very helpful, to enable my hips and pelvis to tilt more correctly, and to let me pull out of my concave lumbar side. You are doing great work, Christian!

I scanned a page from the book " Anatomy of movement" With an important illustration which shows what movement to avoid which is the "loaded lumbar flexion". Even when sitting on a chair I believe we must get accustomed to using our pelvis to create the movement so the lumbar spine stays stretched instead of flexing the erector spinae.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...NIATEDDISC.jpg

I tried to do the "yoga for scoliosis" DVD today solely with the awareness of the "lumbar flexion vs. stretched back" I believe that if a Yoga pose does not hit the "sweet spot" (the feeling of release, stretching and blood circulation) in the targeted area of your body, It's performed incorrectly. That's why I am going to start examining every pose, and see how I can get to most benefit out of every pose.
    Thank you for that great illustration- yes, my mother was a nurse for a time and she was taught to always use the legs to bend, not the waist... lift with the leg muscles (when making beds, anything). Nurses' training to save the backs!

Interesting about the Yoga for Scoliosis DVD breathing into the "sweet spot"- yes, there is some of that in the Curves book also. I have the video but need to try it!

The Dreaded Office Chair - Solved!

We've had some discussion about the dreaded office chairs. I stumbled across something today that has totally solved that for me (left thoracolumbar/right thoracic curvature pattern). I took a medium sized soft pillow and placed it on the right side of my chair, kind of had to wedge it against the arm rest area. When seated this results in nothing touching the left side of my back - and gives a soft support to the right. No pain all day!!! Overjoyed.

Maybe this could help someone else with a similar curvature pattern - or if one has a reversed (right throacolumbar/left thoracic) maybe a pillow placed on the left would help.

Don't know how/why it works but it does - so just posting in case someone else can use the info. Was wonderful to leave the office today in no pain - which is truly draining ... as you know.

Hey Mamamax,
    Thank you for sharing. That's very intresting! I wonder if it keeps the spine from rotating to the wrong side while sitting? How far down on the back did you place it? and how have the last days doing this been working for you?

Hi Christian - I think the one pillow wonder, when used at my desk - when the desk work is light, may possibly have resulted in some pelvic stabilization, and spinal lengthening, along with a relaxation of the lower left "bossy" muscles. Image Attached. For my curvature pattern the Schroth mark-ups are as follows: the black indicating a breathing pattern, the red, areas of support required when lying on my back, and the blue being an area of support required when doing a certain muscle cylinder exercise. I have found that when the desk work is heavy that the one pillow remedy does not work well. So the experiment continues :-)

things that have worked for me

bowen tehnique, moving the muscles to support the spine
    swimming daily to manage pain and stretch out
    massage shiatsu and deep tissue massage to reduce pain
    sitting on the floor and getting japonese with my furnishing all low level and very good for flexibility and ergonomics
    yoga
    cranial sacral for giddy relief like no other

all of these have worked for me ina balance of pain managemnt, stretching the curves, and relieving discomfort...

discovery

I just discovered Earth Shoes--- wow- they seem to stretch that area that craves stretching- that I can never reach (for me it's the lower left hip or way inside the buttock, hard to explain but it's some joint in there- probably where the hip socket meets the leg if I'm picturing a skeleton)-- it gets pulled back into alignment. The shoes can wear you out though so go slow. I tried the Acadia II sandals and love them.

Hey Mamamax, thank you for sharing the picture. It looks like you have a simular curve to mine (left lumbar) and a concave right side. Hmm.. A physiotherapist told me that "The next movement is the best movement" meaning even sitting in a correct posture for a prolonged time is bad, so the key i think is to make movements while seated as often as possible to keep mobility and looseness.
    What kind of a job do you have?