Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today

Hi Heidi,

I'm doing pretty well today! I am doing everything I'm told:take lots of little walks, get regular periods of rest, eat healthy food, drink lots of water, take my meds. Biggest surprises thus far have been 1) late afternOon feeling of my back trying to force itself into a backbend, 2)inability to comfortably sit up really anywhere for more than about 10 minutes, 3) profuse sweating that begins every time I fall asleep.

None of these things are insurmountable. I spend a lot of time changing positions during the day, and the heated throw helps a lot. I am actually sleeping incredibly well at night and bet I would sleep right through if I didn't set my alarm for the medicine. I'm afraid to try that yet because I don't want the pain to get too out of control.

My kids seem to be doing okay with everything. I am still reading them bedtime stories, which helps.

I thank God daily for all the family that is helping, the friends and neighbors bringing meals, and all of you on the Forum for calming my fears and answering my questions.

Best,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
      profuse sweating that begins every time I fall asleep.
      Hi Evelyn...

That sounds like a hot flash. It's something that has happened to me about 99% of the time for the last 10-12 years. I think it may have to do with a change in blood pressure. It's annoying, because it wakes me up right as I'm falling asleep.

--Linda
      Last edited by LindaRacine; 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I am glad that you are doing so well
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• hot flashes can be related to age, also...
          but...since such a huge surgery has such a big impact on the entire body...who knows why the
          flashes are happening...
          are you sure using the heated throw has nothing to do with it...?

i would mention it to Lenke or one of his staff and just see what they say...

hope the flashes go away, and your problems resolve...i wish you healing and recovery
          until you are 100% back to a new normal...with a straight and sturdy spine..and no pain!

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• I seem to have more hot flashes when I'm on heavier meds. I think what happens is if you sleep through a dose, your body starts the withdrawal syndrome, which unfortunately includes hot flashes. I have them and it's not age related, although it should be as I'm 43. But my hormone levels all check out at a very "young" age, so I'm looking at a very late menopause. Like I mentioned, I attribute it to the meds.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

• It's definitely a hot flash. Could be pre-menapausal, I guess, as I'm 40. More likely I think my body is still shedding the extra fluids from the surgery. I haven't been skipping pain doses, as I'm too afraid to wake up in agony. So, my phone alarm goes off every two hours, I pop my pills and go back to sleep. Anyway, it's not a big deal--just an annoyance.

On another note, what is a "normal" starting dose for oxicontin? They've got me on 20 mg 2x per day. Seems a little low if they really want me to sit up for 1/2 to 1 hour at a time. I'm in agony after about 6 minutes sitting. Weird, because evething else is okay: standing, walking, dressing, even stairs.

Do any of you remember what doses you were given of oxi early on?
              age 48
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

• Evelyn,
                I had oxy. every 12 hours but was allowed to take Norco (1 or 2 every 4-6 hours) I hated that because it wasn't specific. The allowed dosage could be from 4 a day to 12 a day.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• hi Ev
                  just a point of comparison...you know i didn't have the surgery...yet..
                  but i am on 30 mg a day of oxycontin as needed...also am given a lot of
                  10 mg hydrocodone by pain doc in NYC every month....if i take the oxy, i sometimes
                  don't need the hydrocodone..though once the steroid shots leave my body, i
                  expect to be in much more pain...

i was surprised when i read the amount of oxy you were put on...
                  to me, it seems low...but i am not a doctor...just a patient...who hasn't had back surgery...yet...

i am wondering if your body is just thrown off from major surgery, and the hot flashes won't last...
                  i started at 45...they got so bad at nite that i woke up with soaking wet sheets and quilt!!...i went on hormones...
                  eventually switched to bio identical...they are 100 times better...completely different, in my opinion...

hope you feel better every day...
                  jess...& Sparky

Comment

• I just asked my partner and he said I was on 20mg Oxycontin taken with 1 x 500mg Panadol (Tylenol) twice a day initially. It didn't control the pain. They upped it until finally I was on 40mg Oxycontin with 1 x 500mg Panadol, twice a day. Plus Endone every 6 hours. At that point I felt no pain. I also slept like a log and felt great!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Thanks, everyone. I should have mentioned they also prescribed Norco the same as for Karen-- 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours. As I am more or less at the top of my tolerable pain limit, I take all the Norco allowed. Norco is Hydrocodone 7.5 + 325 mg Tylenol. Yes, I realize that is 3,900 mg of Tylenol in 24 hours. I'm planning to call Dr Lenke's office on Monday and ask if they are concerned about that given the recent FDA advisory panel recommendation.
                      age 48

Comment

• why not 10 mg with 325...that is what i have....
                        ????

jess

Comment

• Hi Evelyn,

I am glad to hear you are doing so well thus far. I think Norco alone is going to be barely adequate for most people in the first few weeks--There have been others here who suffered a lot in the early recovery period on Norco or Vicodin alone. It really isn't rated for severe pain. I was on Oxycodone 20 mg every 4 hours, and for the first week I also took Oxycontin 10 mg every 12 hours. I needed every bit of this, and I really hate pain meds. It is just so important to have good pain control especially the first month, so that you don't have to suffer so much. You will heal better if you are not in bad pain all day long. I know, I cheated myself of adequate pain control after my first surgery because the meds made me feel so bad.

I would be concerned too about all that Tylenol, so I think a call to the office would be a good idea.

Best of luck,
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                            It's definitely a hot flash. Could be pre-menapausal, I guess, as I'm 40. More likely I think my body is still shedding the extra fluids from the surgery. I haven't been skipping pain doses, as I'm too afraid to wake up in agony. So, my phone alarm goes off every two hours, I pop my pills and go back to sleep. Anyway, it's not a big deal--just an annoyance.

On another note, what is a "normal" starting dose for oxicontin? They've got me on 20 mg 2x per day. Seems a little low if they really want me to sit up for 1/2 to 1 hour at a time. I'm in agony after about 6 minutes sitting. Weird, because evething else is okay: standing, walking, dressing, even stairs.

Do any of you remember what doses you were given of oxi early on?
                            Hi Evelyn,
                            Regarding the "hot flashes", I had those after my first surgery, when I was on Fentanyl patches for a few months. I thought I was going through menopause, and then when I stopped the Fentanyl, lo and behold the hot flashes stopped! So what I am saying is, it might be your pain meds.

And...I started on Oxycontin 20mg every 12 hours with Percocet every 4 to 6 hours as needed. I was on that for at least the first month. Took the Percocet religiously. Are you using plenty of pillows when you sit? Behind your back for support and under your knees.

Hang in there...this is the toughest time. It gets better ;-)
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• Thanks, Kristy. I found a wooden rocking chair that I can tolerate just a little longer with plenty of pillows. Seems like I need upper back support to sit, which is strange since my big correction was lumbar, but whatever.

How are YOU doing? I've been thinking about you and your revision.

Best,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48

Comment

• Random questions

Hi all,

Sorry I seem to be taking up a disproportionate amount of space on the forum lately. I just can't live without you all!

Anyway, here are the questions:

-what do I do about shaving my lower legs? I googled long-handled razors and could only find $30 and up versions. Are there disposables?

-how/when did you start to wean meds? I know people start driving at 4 weeks, which is next week for me, but I'm still on oxycontin & Norco. I have to be off both of these to drive, right? And Valium, too?

-I still can't sit up for more than about 20 minutes before I need to take a break and lie down flat on my back. Is that "normal"? I know everyone is different, but is it within the realm? I can walk and climb stairs fine.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Best,
                                Evelyn
                                age 48

Comment

Working...
                                X