Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• razor solution

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
    -what do I do about shaving my lower legs? I googled long-handled razors and could only find $30 and up versions. Are there disposables?
    Hi Evelyn,

As for as the razor, I took the long handled bath sponge that I got in my spine kit and attached my regular razor to the handle using water-resistant tape. I was able to prop my leg on a large shelf area in my shower and was able to easily reach all areas of my leg. I am fused to L3, but I was given the same post-op bending restrictions as those fused to the sacrum.

Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
      Hi all,

Sorry I seem to be taking up a disproportionate amount of space on the forum lately. I just can't live without you all!

Anyway, here are the questions:

-what do I do about shaving my lower legs? I googled long-handled razors and could only find $30 and up versions. Are there disposables?

-how/when did you start to wean meds? I know people start driving at 4 weeks, which is next week for me, but I'm still on oxycontin & Norco. I have to be off both of these to drive, right? And Valium, too?

-I still can't sit up for more than about 20 minutes before I need to take a break and lie down flat on my back. Is that "normal"? I know everyone is different, but is it within the realm? I can walk and climb stairs fine.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Best,
      Evelyn
      Hi Evelyn,

I never had problems sitting like you are having, so I can't answer that question. I do know it does take time for the feeling of pressure in your lower back to go away.
      You are def not ready to drive yet if you are having trouble sitting and are still on that much medication.
      After my first surgery, I was on lots of pain meds for a long time. I didn't start driving for a couple of months. At first it feels really uncomfortable to drive until your back loosens up somewhat.

My secret to shaving my legs: I use a shower seat and a handheld shower head. I don't know if you have a bathtub or a shower stall. But either would work. I just sit down on the shower seat and lift my leg up (while keeping my back straight) and put my foot against the wall, or on the edge of the tub. That way I can reach my lower leg with my razor without bending. I've done ever since I had my first surgery and find it the easiest way to get the job done. Even after the BLT restrictions are lifted, I tend to protect my back by doing things without bending or twisting if I can help it.

I hope you are feeling better, Evelyn! I can't believe its almost been 4 weeks already ;-)
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• dear Ev
        who better to be on forum than you...?
        you just had surgery....please do NOT apologize for taking up space on forum!!!!
        i think of this forum as just for that purpose...for patients to use as much as they need it...

hope you feel a little better every day!
        jess...& Sparky

Comment

• I just used disposable razors and attached them to a long handle from a back scrubber and replaced them as needed. I didn't drop the Oxy. until about 4 weeks and stuck with the Norvo for another week or so. I was okay with Tylenol after I gave up the heavy pain meds. As you know, everyone is different and it just depends on your pain level. I would reduce gradually as you feel you are able.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Random questions

Hi all,

Sorry I seem to be taking up a disproportionate amount of space on the forum lately. I just can't live without you all!

Anyway, here are the questions:

-how/when did you start to wean meds? I know people start driving at 4 weeks, which is next week for me, but I'm still on oxycontin & Norco. I have to be off both of these to drive, right? And Valium, too?

-I still can't sit up for more than about 20 minutes before I need to take a break and lie down flat on my back. Is that "normal"? I know everyone is different, but is it within the realm? I can walk and climb stairs fine.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Best,
            Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Oops, not sure how I managed to post the same message twice! Anyway, thanks for all the quick answers. I'm going to go find something to tape my razor to right now!!
              age 48
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

• I taped a long handled wooden spoon to my razor. I don't have one of those steps built into our shower so brought in a little plastic step/stool to put my foot on. The first time my partner did it for me with a nice fresh blade. It felt so good to have smooth legs. The things our partners do for us, I bet they never thought would be part of the deal!

I didn't start reducing Oxycontin until 6-7 weeks so you're doing well just to be thinking about it.

I also think you're doing well to be sitting comfortably for 20 minutes at under 4 weeks.

Agree with Jess, this is the time to make max. use of the forum and we're all here to help if we can.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I used Nair hair removal creme for a few weeks then figured out a way to shave my legs with my foot propped up on the built in shower bench.

Warmly
                  Doreen
                  44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                  Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                  2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hi Evelyn,

I really think 4 weeks is too soon to drive for most of us, especially since you are uncomfortable sitting and still taking plenty of meds.

I started driving at 8 weeks after both of my surgeries (original one T8-sacrum, then major A/P revision for broken rods). I just wouldn't have felt comfortable driving before that. Also, remember that you must not twist, which makes it difficult to back up in parking lots or to see when merging. I rely on my back-up alarm and mirrors to back-up.

Good luck,
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• More post-op questions:

--When is it "safe" and/or legal to drive? I'm still on Norco & Valium but feel level-headed. Do I need to be completely off these? (I'm fine with being able to turn my head.)

--Did any of you use a laundry service or grocery delivery service for a while? How did that work out?

--When people talk about walking a mile per day per month of recovery, they're talking about walking a mile in the course of a day, right? In other words, not going out and walking 2 miles all at once at 8 weeks?

--Is it bad to use a heated blanket a LOT? As in, I lie down on one between every activity. I keep it on medium or low and it is not directly touching my incision.

--Tips from cat people? How to scoop the cat box???

I think that's it for now. Thanks!!!
                      age 48

Comment

More post-op questions:
                        When is it "safe" and/or legal to drive? I'm still on Norco & Valium but feel level-headed. Do I need to be completely off these? (I'm fine with being able to turn my head.)
                        I don't know about legality, but patients are usually told they should not start driving while they are still taking narcotics. I think that's mainly because, if you're in an accident, or get stopped for something else, and if for any reason your sobriety is tested, it could be a disaster. When I was almost off of drugs, I allowed myself to drive as long as I hadn't had anything for 12 hours.
                        More post-op questions:
                        Did any of you use a laundry service or grocery delivery service for a while? How did that work out?
                        Since I live alone, I used grocery delivery. Safeway (the big grocery chain in northern California) charges something like $12, with a minimum purchase of $50. The delivery people were always prompt and reliable, and were not allowed to accept tips.
                        When people talk about walking a mile per day per month of recovery, they're talking about walking a mile in the course of a day, right? In other words, not going out and walking 2 miles all at once at 8 weeks?
                        Everyone is different. Do not try to go from no walking to 2 miles. You should build up gradually to a comfortable level.
                        Is it bad to use a heated blanket a LOT? As in, I lie down on one between every activity. I keep it on medium or low and it is not directly touching my incision.
                        Not sure how anyone could know this, but you should check with your surgeon's office.
                        Tips from cat people? How to scoop the cat box???
                        I had someone taking care of my cat, as I knew it would be an issue postop. There are automatic litter boxes. Some are better than others. I used to use this one, and really liked it. It's a bit expensive. You could also use the technique I described earlier today, for feeding pets. (Drill holes in the rim of the litter box through which you can thread and tie string.)

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Thanks, Linda! I am definitely going to check out that litter box. Although it will probably freak out my 17 year old cat!!!
                          age 48

Comment

More post-op questions:

--When is it "safe" and/or legal to drive? I'm still on Norco & Valium but feel level-headed. Do I need to be completely off these? (I'm fine with being able to turn my head.)

--Did any of you use a laundry service or grocery delivery service for a while? How did that work out?

--When people talk about walking a mile per day per month of recovery, they're talking about walking a mile in the course of a day, right? In other words, not going out and walking 2 miles all at once at 8 weeks?

--Is it bad to use a heated blanket a LOT? As in, I lie down on one between every activity. I keep it on medium or low and it is not directly touching my incision.

--Tips from cat people? How to scoop the cat box???

I think that's it for now. Thanks!!!
                            Hi Evelyn,

I hope you are feeling well...I can't believe it has been 8 weeks already!

To answer your questions...I think everyone does it differently regarding the pain medication and driving. With all three of my surgeries I started driving while still taking some pain medication. I had to go back to work in varying amounts of pain each time. But I just take pain medication infrequently and usually after a tough day at work.

I have used Pea Pod grocery delivery. But only because I HATE grocery shopping! Their prices are not bad. I have never used a laundry service.

I have never been one to set out on a "walk". At my job we have a wellness program and everyone got free pedometers. So I wear one at work every day. I work in a busy clinic. I just learned today that all the steps I take in a day just by working added up to 3 1/2 miles. Hah! So, yes , I think that should count just as much as a formal walk.

I still use a heating pad when my back wants to act up. It feels so good. And I LOVE my heated seat in my car. I don't know how it could be a bad thing.

As far as the litter box...that is hubby's job. If I ever have to do it, I just squat down. But , I try to avoid it, he he.
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• Hi Evelyn

Some thoughts for a Saturday morning......

This might not be the time since you are in your recovery, but I think if I ever got another kitten again, I would put the effort in to toilet training. If one can get this to work, it saves countless hours of smelly litter box duty. The automatic litter boxes are also great ideas....
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p943wK0tSWQ

At 6 weeks, you are probably thinking that you need to get off meds.....which is not easy, and some pain will result.....Spacing out time between doses is a good way to do this...keep notes. You will eventually get there. When I quit, the pain went up for about 2 days and then reduced quickly....Do not cut any pills without your doctors approval. If you don’t know which ones to cut, you should call to verify.

Drinking plenty of water will flush toxins and chemicals.....I was sipping on protein smoothies through the day, just jamming loads of nutrients into my system, and thinking healing thoughts constantly. Multiple walks through the day instead of the one pain producing marathon are what you want to do. Walking is so beneficial.....and not just for recovery, for everyone.

There is no way that anyone can go through a totally pain free recovery....I don’t think its possible. I had discomfort with the muscles that run over the screw heads and realized that these need to be toughened up. Its almost like a karate expert who chops cinder blocks in half, he doesn’t get there without a pain effort. Walking, and thinking healing thoughts, and mind distraction, are needed. When your mind is distracted, you realize that you have not thought about the pain for the last few moments....it was something I used, and in the long run, it worked. You will eventually get to the point where you will NOT think about your back. Its part of total recovery. I don’t think about my back anymore now.

Meds can act as enzyme inhibitors......can I slam meds? Should I start a new thread on this? I have countless folders saved....Hmmm.......people will get mad at me. lol
                              I’m not a biochemist but I do read all sorts of boring material that relates to us.
                              From cat litter to biochemistry in one thread....LMAO
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Thanks Kristy & Ed,

Wow, that's quite a video, Ed. Almost as tough as potty training your kids. I think I will try it with my younger cat when my 17-year-old kitty is no loner with us.

I'd be interested to hear more about your theory of pain meds, Ed. Sounds like you think they interfere with healing?

Kristy, that's awesome that you walk 3.5 miles at work! Is that now, post-revision?!
                                I need to get a pedometer.

In other news, I sneezed for the first time post-op today. (How I went 7 weeks without sneezing, I'm not sure.) Anyway, OUCH!!! Fortunately it seems to have been a fluke, rather than the start of a cold.

I saw a picture of myself seated watching my daughter, and I must say I have some kickin' posture!!! That's another one to add to Ed's fusion benefits.

Cheers,
                                Evelyn
                                age 48

Comment

Working...
                                X