Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey says studies confirm pain w/scoliosis in kids

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2010/...diopathic.html

He also mentions pain in adults. I don't think the "finding" of pain in adults with scoliosis is groundbreaking or even novel in any way so I'm not sure why he mentioned it. It seems like a penetrating glimpse into the obvious and is likely traced to the ancillary damage form having a curve over the years. A test of this is to see if the few(?) adult patients who don't have any pain have any objective findings on radiograph or MRI or something that would be consistent with pain.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 05-15-2010, 12:03 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post

He also mentions pain in adults. I don't think the "finding" of pain in adults with scoliosis is groundbreaking or even novel in any way so I'm not sure why he mentioned it. It seems like a penetrating glimpse into the obvious and is likely traced to the ancillary damage form having a curve over the years. A test of this is to see if the few(?) adult patients who don't have any pain have any objective findings on radiograph or MRI or something that would be consistent with pain.
    Good, because I'm sending my radiograph's and MRI's to him. I hope he believes me. It's interesting that on his home page he states in a couple of different places that pain is not associated with scoliosis. That made me nervous for choosing him to send my information to. He also did surgery on that girl for pain and she was under 40*. Maybe I have found the right place to go???
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hey is the right guy for lightening quick surgeries and minimal/no blood loss. He did a recent surgery similar to that my daughters had in half the time (2.5 hours) that it took our surgeon. I find that incredible.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey is the right guy for lightening quick surgeries and minimal/no blood loss. He did a recent surgery similar to that my daughters had in half the time (2.5 hours) that it took our surgeon. I find that incredible.
        That's good to hear. I was surprised when I read that, too. I always thought scoli surgery was a 5 to 10 hour procedure. Wow!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi,

Pain science is a whole different ball-game. Adults who experience no pain from a scoliosis can be because of a mryriad of reasons. There is much written about how chronic pain ( which is pain from scoliosis ) is handled by the brain - it is a fascinating subject in itself but in my experience has become for a lot of medics something to quote and thus not to offer practical help.

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            That's good to hear. I was surprised when I read that, too. I always thought scoli surgery was a 5 to 10 hour procedure. Wow!
            We have a team of two attending surgeons (one ortho and one neuro) who do almost every one of their deformity surgeries together. They typically do long, and very complex surgeries in 5 hours or less.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/01/13...nefit-patients
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X