Anxious--Pre-op is this Wednesday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxious--Pre-op is this Wednesday!

My date is getting closer. Pre-op is this Wednesday and surgery is two weeks from today! Think I'm starting to feel what some of you have been describing.?.?.? I'm sure hoping this works!!
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Hi Glenda,

Good luck with everything, and please do post when you can and let us know how you are doing!

Curious, are you having the anterior first, or the posterior? Just curious. I recently had a recommendation for basically the same surgery as you (+/- the anterior part). It's definitely scary.

Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Good luck with your pre-op Glenda - don't worry, everything will be fine. Take one step at a time
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Gayle -- Can't remember which he said would be first. Will post after I see Dr Yoon on Wednesday.

Lynette -- Thanks for your encouragement. You're sweet to be encouraging me when you're in so much pain yourself. I do hope you get answers from the myleogram tomorrow and something can be done to give you relief very soon.
        Glenda
        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Good luck with everything Glenda...it will be fine and over before you know it and you will be on the road to recovery with the rest of us! Keep your chin up and keep smiling...its all good!

Rich
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
          A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
          Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
          Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Originally posted by gmw View Post
            My date is getting closer. Pre-op is this Wednesday and surgery is two weeks from today! Think I'm starting to feel what some of you have been describing.?.?.? I'm sure hoping this works!!
            I know how you feel - even though I have 2 months - I too am getting anxious - I will come and see you - you are strong and hoping that we will both say we wished we had this done a year ago.

Comment

Thanks, Rich. Your recent post has encouraged me!

Yep, Susan--I do hope we can say we wished we had done it years ago!! So glad to have you going thru this with me.

Reading everyone's experiences on this forum, both good and not so good, are so helpful in knowing at least some of what we might expect either way.

Glenda
              Glenda
              Pleased with outcome

Comment

No problem Glenda, from your signature it sounds like your surgery is basically identical to mine. You'll do great, just don't have a cow when the first few days post-op are tough....they will be, but everyone on this forum prepared me for that and knowing that would be the case helped me deal with it when it happened. Before you know it you'll be up and around and feeling so much better. Just keep a positive attitude and it will all work out fine.

Rich
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Rich -- It does look almost exactly the same. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm really dreading that second surgery three days after the first. Which of your surgeries was done first, the anterior or posterior? In most cases I've read, it seems the anterior was first. I can't remember what my surgeon told me about which would actually be first for me.

Glenda

Actually, Rich I'm going back and reading your threads and got the answer to my anterior/posterior question. Will keep reading......
                  Last edited by gmw; 05-03-2010, 07:40 PM.
                  Glenda
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Good luck with your Pre-op >Everything will be fine

Melissa

Comment

Made it through pre-op yesterday. All went really well. I'm looking forward to getting May 17 and 20 behind me and move toward healing.

Thanks to all of you for your support!
                      Glenda
                      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Glenda-Wish you well with your surgery.I had anterior first than posterior.I had all the same symptoms as you pre-op.After anterior surgery my leg and hip pain was gone.
                        Aug.17,09 Anterior
                        Aug.20,09 Posterior
                        Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                        Cedars-Sinai
                        Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                        Husband married 30 years
                        3 kids 29,28,25
                        4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Thanks for your encouragement, Sheri. I will be having the anterior first also. How many days were between your first and second surgeries? How did you feel in-between? I fear I'm going to become anxious between the two surgeries. Hopefully, I'll be on so many drugs I won't care.

So good to hear your leg and hip pain were gone after surgery. I'm praying mine is gone as well.

Glenda
                          Glenda
                          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Glenda,I had the first surgery on mon.I felt pretty good.Had 2nd surgery Thrus.It was tough but glad I did it.I was nervous for the surgery. They gave me something that helped keep me relaxed, but I dont remember what its called.
                            Aug.17,09 Anterior
                            Aug.20,09 Posterior
                            Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                            Cedars-Sinai
                            Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                            Husband married 30 years
                            3 kids 29,28,25
                            4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Thanks Sheri -- maybe they'll give me something too.
                              Glenda
                              Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                              X