Inspiring story today's NYT; pt. of Dr. Obachei pursues her dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiring story today's NYT; pt. of Dr. Obachei pursues her dreams

This should really be posted in all four sub-forums here as it concerns a congenital condition (Spinal Muscle atrophy Type II) . I was surprised to find it affects 1/6000 babies - to me that sounds like a lot.

This 30 year old Jamaican immigrant to the U.S., had an 111 Degree curve which. in conjunction with weakening of her respiratory muscles was close to suffocating her when a sponsor appealed to Dr. Obachei to help her. He agreed.

This tells her story which is bitter-sweet. Although her scoliosis is much less, her life expectancy is still significantly reduced because of her motor neuron disease. Nevertheless, she has borne a child (before her surgery!), married and secured a teaching job (sixth grade) after obtaining a B.A. and M.A.. She needs two full time aides paid by MEDICAID outside of her teaching hours and gets around the city in a $35.000 motorized wheel chair. When the single school elevator is out of service, her class has to be taught on the ground floor.

Even on this board where shocking "Before" X-rays are common, hers draw attention. WHen I saw the article's title, "Bent, not Broken", I felt sure it referred to a scoliosis patient.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/ny...pagewanted=all
    Last edited by Back-out; 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM. Reason: forgot title
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Wow! What an inspirational story. Thanks for posting the link.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Rereading the story, I was struck by the facts that she finished her schooling and secured her teaching job - all that - BEFORE getting the surgery.

Now I'm triple impressed!
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Working...
      X