Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We received my daughter's Axial test results today

and I couldn't be happier.

Her score was 5 out of 200. I was told that she is in the category that has the lowest chance of progressing to the degree where she would require surgery.

She is almost 11 yrs old, and has a minor S curve. I have been concerned since I progressed to needing the surgery as an adult. We still have to watch her, but the Dr. stated that due to her results, there is no need to do Xrays regularly. (which we haven't done anyway, since the first time she was there 2 yrs ago.)

I was so happy that I cried when I heard the results. This test helps to calm parents' fears and anxieties about what will happen to their child. Granted, she could be the first subject to go against all the test results they have, but we're certainly better off than if her score were 200! He also told me that just about all kids with a score of 200 eventually need surgery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Great great news, Debbei,

It doesn't get any better than that! Hope there is some cake-baking or something going on in your household tonight!

Woo hoo!
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

Debbei such great news!

Lonner said Scoliscore is extremely accurate at the low end. I am very happy for your daughter, your family, and especially you.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Debbei such great news!

Lonner said Scoliscore is extremely accurate at the low end. I am very happy for your daughter, your family, and especially you.
        Thanks Sharon. I know that you are aware that I am a worry wart at heart. Now I can breath easy.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          and I couldn't be happier.

Her score was 5 out of 200. I was told that she is in the category that has the lowest chance of progressing to the degree where she would require surgery.

She is almost 11 yrs old, and has a minor S curve. I have been concerned since I progressed to needing the surgery as an adult. We still have to watch her, but the Dr. stated that due to her results, there is no need to do Xrays regularly. (which we haven't done anyway, since the first time she was there 2 yrs ago.)

I was so happy that I cried when I heard the results. This test helps to calm parents' fears and anxieties about what will happen to their child. Granted, she could be the first subject to go against all the test results they have, but we're certainly better off than if her score were 200! He also told me that just about all kids with a score of 200 eventually need surgery.
          Hi Debbei,

I just came across this thread and I'm not sure if you still check the board. But it's been about a year since and I was wondering if you'd be willing to let us know how your daughter is doing? We've had A LOT of discussions on here about the scoliscore and I know I'm curious how real-life examples end up. I think that you are the exact target the scoliscore is after. Or rather, I think that the scoliscore can give the most information to the low end and the extreme high end.

Comment

Hi,

Yes I am still around. As a matter of fact, my daughter has her 6 month checkup next week. I see no changes, and I know I'm not the Dr., but if something were changed, my mother-eye plus experience with myself would know. She's 11 yrs old (12 in June) and growing like a weed, but as far as I can tell she's growing straight! I'll update again after next week's appt.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
              Hi,

Yes I am still around. As a matter of fact, my daughter has her 6 month checkup next week. I see no changes, and I know I'm not the Dr., but if something were changed, my mother-eye plus experience with myself would know. She's 11 yrs old (12 in June) and growing like a weed, but as far as I can tell she's growing straight! I'll update again after next week's appt.
              Great. Thanks. What size are/were her curves a year ago?

Comment

Originally posted by skevimc View Post
                Great. Thanks. What size are/were her curves a year ago?
                Her curves are 5 degrees each, and at our Monday checkup, the Dr. said she looks unchanged. Based on her low scoliscore, he doesn't want to see her again until December.

I can't stress how this test has given me peace of mind that she won't end up like I did. Of course, we will continue to see the surgeon until she is done growing.

Comment

That's great news! I think the curves have to be at least 10* to even be considered scoliosis, so what a relief! I'm happy for you.
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Well, given my history, and the fact that both her teenage brothers have curves over 10 degrees, I'm watching her like a hawk! But at least I can do so in a relaxed state of mind.

Comment

Yes, I would watch, too. It's just comforting to know it's so small.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                      X