% of people who are happy after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
    I am one of the people who has now been on both sides. My orig surgery almost 2 years ago was a disaster. I did feel uncomfortable posting among all the success stories and felt very negative every time I did so. But I was looking for answers and support...I ended up having a revision surgery one month ago which has been so far a big success. I do think it is very important for people looking on this forum to know both sides of the story, both the successes and disasters.
    Kristy,
    I am so glad things worked out better for you this time. I'm sorry you felt that you couldn't post when you had problems, and you're right, prospective patients need to hear both sides.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Naptown, Tell us who your new surgeon is! People should know if you had a great revision.

Comment

• On the topic of scars, Dr. Lonner suggested calling in a plastic surgeon at the end to "close." He said that he's sort of wiped out by then anyway. Has anyone else had this?

Comment

• I am not regretful at all, with my decision to have my fusion. I do miss the flexability that I once had, but truly, I have no pain and have re-learned how to do everything I once did before...just a little different. At time, Im still scared to try to new things...for fear of breaking my rods...silly I know...or if I fall, will I hurt the fusion....stuff like that crosses my mind from time to time. But again, I wouldnt change a thing!

Hope all of my Scoli friends are doing ok!! Its been awhile since Ive been out here...not becuz Ive forgotten about you, just becuz Ive been doing so well and enjoying life!!

Cheers!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

• It's a shame anyone who's having problems post-surgery feels they are "raining on others' parades" by stating what has happened to them. Their stories are just as important for those facing this surgery, to read. Nobody wants to hear a slanted version of the outcome of this surgery, we all want to know the absolute truth in order to make an informed decision. I know I did anyway, I remember asking for "the good, the bad and the ugly".
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• You guys remember where that came from? The best western film ever!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060196/

Clint Eastwood-the good
              Lee Van Cleef-the bad
              Eli Wallach-the ugly

Great film! Voted #4....

A movie basically about surviving during tough times.. In a way, that’s what we are. Clint Eastwood uses his knowledge to prevail in the end, and what an ending!!! Its always good to know what your up against.

We all need to know the truth.

If something happens to me, I will post here first. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and support here on this forum.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• I love Clint Eastwood, he remind me of my dad! One of my favourite all time films

Comment

• Well this sure has become a popular thread!
                  I am one of the ones who is still left with pain nearly 2 years post op. I currently see a pain management Dr and do aqua aerobics 2x week (though I can't do everything). The water really helps and the hot tub afterwards is a great incentive to get myself there. I had issues with a severe deep wound infection that presented after my posterior surgery. It took a year before it was safe to be off the antibiotics (both IV followed by oral).
                  I wish I had better results about the pain but knew going into it that there were no guarantees. Straighter would have been nice too, though with the osteopenia and stiff curves we played it safe. We were aiming on stabilizing things to prevent progression.
                  At this point I take things one day at a time and hope things improve. I have changed the way I do somethings like using the step 3rd up from the side) to put on socks and shoes, I wear slip on shoes when I go to the gym because the bench is too low.
                  All in all I would still do it again because things were only getting worse.
                  2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                  surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                  Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                  5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                  5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                  6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                  (left open with just clear dressing)
                  6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                  3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

• Infection is one of the things that scares me the most. I'm really glad you got through it. I'm sure it was a horrible deal at the time. I hope you continue to get better.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• hi sharshe
                      how do you go to the gym!!??

i have not had surgery...yet..but had to give up the gym 3 years ago...just too much pain! if you are in pain all the time, i just dont get how you could exercise!!

before the pain got so bad, i went 3 times a week while working a full time plus a part time job! now...nothing!

hope you feel better and something at pain management helps the pain...

jess

Comment

• Last week upon scheduling my surgery. My dr asked if I wanted to stop at L-5 or sacrum. I decided to stop at L5 to keep more mobility because I am very active (gym, nursing four wheeling). After reading this I am concerned. I am aware some day I may have to go down all the way but was hoping for like 10 years from now. Not sure if I'm making the right decision just went with my gut?
                        Jan
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          While you can't get full text, PubMed is available to everyone:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
                          If you are close to a medical School like UCSF or Stanford, you can go to the library and access the full articles.

Comment

• Hey Jan
                            my thoracic is 42 degrees now......i can tell you what Dr Lonner said when i asked him about fusing only lumbar and not thoracic...he said a doctor wont fuse on the chance that a problem will develop in the future...

how fast have your curves been progressing...specifically the lumbar that you are not sure about...? what was that curve 2 years ago...?

if i could not go to pelvis even, and stop at sacrum, i asked Dr Lonner if that was possible...of course, now i realize pelvis or sacrum, not much difference...

if i were you and there were a good chance that i wouldnt be progressing rapidly, i'd try to wait...just look at how far they have come in one year...a year ago, no doctor would talk minimal invasive for lumbar to me....now it is becoming more common...what if you can get 5 or 10 years....how far will they be with advances by then...is there a chance you wont ever need lumbar done?

how many opinions have you gotten?

best of luck
                            jess

Comment

• I have had a lot of opinions. The reason we are even going that far is because of degenerated discs L3-L5 and low back pain because my curve is mostly thoracic. He did tell me I may have to come back in the future I was thinking 10 years would be OK, not 1 or 2. Wish I had a crystal ball. He doesn't want to make the decision for me, he wants me to decide.
                              36 year young cardiac RN
                              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

• Hi Jess,
                                The gym I go to has a pool where I do aqua aerobics. I can't even do all of what they do. They also have recumbent bikes which I am allowed to do (though I haven't done that here, I'm tired enough after the pool). Recumbent is good because it takes the pressure off of the lower spine. You should of course go by what your surgeon or PT tells you. This is what my PM Dr prescribed.
                                Good luck to you.
                                2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                                surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                                Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                                5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                                5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                                6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                                (left open with just clear dressing)
                                6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                                3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
                                X