Rigo-Cheneau update for G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check-up

Had the next 6 month interval check-up, clinical exam only. No observable change, so no x-ray. (FYI, the clinical exam first, x-ray only if doctor deems necessary is not standard protocal but at our request.) Next appointment in 6 months. Will have an x-ray at that time. So after a full year of reduced bracewear, things still look good. We go on.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Hi Chris,

This is wonderful news, and I am so glad to hear G can continue with the reduced wear. I am sure she is thrilled! And good job on minimizing the x-ray exposure.

Leah will be one year post-op VBS in May, so hopefully we will have some good news to report as well.

Take care,

Gayle
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Great news mamandcrm! :-)

Comment

Good news mamandcrm!

Gayle, I look forward to your post in May which should have more good news!
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Hi Jill, Gayle, and Ballet Mom, thanks.

Jill, how is your daughter doing? Is she 11 now? Gayle, I look forward to hearing about Leah's recheck! It seems like we are all starting to get to the scary age when they really start growing and all heck can break loose (and I suppose there are other reasons it's the scary age too )
            mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

That is so great!!! I wish that Halle did as well with the Cheneau Brace.
              Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
              Diagnosed January 11/08
              In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
              Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congratulations mamandcrm and G!
                Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
                currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
                11/10 TLSO Full Time
                4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
                12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
                VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
                10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

More Good News

Hi All. G just had a new x-ray (it's been a year), and her curve is measuring at 10*. She has continued to wear the Rigo-Cheneau brace 10-12 hours a night. I don't keep close track of her height but she grew over an inch just in the last 3 months. She'll have a clinical exam again in 6 months, and we'll only do an x-ray then if it looks like there is change. She is so straight now, it would be easy to see.
                  Last edited by mamandcrm; 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM.
                  mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                  11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                  latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Wow that is great news! Fabulous.

JIS certainly appears to respond to bracing. That's what Dr. Hey said in the one blog entry. I wish they would study that more to rule out spontaneous improvement. I wonder if anyone has ever seen a 35* JIS curve spontaneously improve. If not then the brace was effective.

Congratulations.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on more wonderful news! I am sure you are all thrilled.

Leah will turn 10 in January and she has been growing like crazy the last 6 months (2-3 inches during that time). So far, so good...her next x-ray is May 2012.

Thanks for sharing the good news,
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.
                        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Such wonderful news! So happy for you and your daughter!
                          Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
                          currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
                          11/10 TLSO Full Time
                          4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
                          12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
                          VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
                          10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

Thanks, all. I feel like she now has made it safely through the growing rods minefield, and we go on now to adolesence and whatever that will bring. Our next hope is to get her safely to maturity without needing any surgery or full-time bracing. She has been a star throughout this whole process. It has been so valuable to me to be able to have this time where the pressure and worry has lifted, to be able to educate myself without the panic I felt at the beginning over 3 years ago.
                            mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Originally posted by mamandcrm View Post
                              Thanks, all. I feel like she now has made it safely through the growing rods minefield, and we go on now to adolesence and whatever that will bring. Our next hope is to get her safely to maturity without needing any surgery or full-time bracing. She has been a star throughout this whole process. It has been so valuable to me to be able to have this time where the pressure and worry has lifted, to be able to educate myself without the panic I felt at the beginning over 3 years ago.
                              I feel your deserved pride, your daughter is a star. Inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
                              07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
                              11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
                              05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
                              12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
                              05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

I haven't posted in a couple years...

For those of you who are are in the early onset JIS world, my daughter is almost 13 and while she is not at maturity yet, it appears bracing has been a success for her. Her 35* curve at age 7 has held under 15* out of brace for almost 6 years, with one 16-month stint of full-time bracing at age 7-8, and the remaining years night-time only. She is now post-menarchal, has shot up significantly in the last year, and in her doctors opinion probably through her most intense period of growth, and on her last brace (which we just picked up). Bracing has always been OK for her, not presenting any physical or emotional problems. So that's the report, and I won't appear again except to modify my signature when she is done with her treatment.
                                mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                                11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                                latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Working...
                                X