Progressing Scoliosis in Young Adult Female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressing Scoliosis in Young Adult Female

I am about to turn 27 years old and just found out that my scoliosis is progressing (my curve is idiopathic lower thoracic - in my lower back and curves to the right). Doctors have no clue why it's worsening because #1 I am no longer growing (obviously) and #2 have not been nor am I pregnant (100% sure of that!) and #3 also obviously I have not hit menopause yet. As a teenager my degree was 17 degrees, then at age 23/24 it was 19 degrees. Then last year, I was 25/26 years old at the time it increased to 22 degrees. Now 8-10 months later I am about to turn 27 and my degree is now 25 degrees. I am in very good shape and do pilates as my doctor instructed. I consider myself very healthy exercise/nutrition wise and all of my check ups show great cholesterol, blood pressure, protein, etc....not that these things will make your curve worse but just sayn'! So I am now getting MRI's b/c my doctor wants to be sure it's not about to pinch a nerve or cause any other problems. I have been told my whole life (even by my current doctor) that it's no big deal, there's nothing you can do about it...and to just stay very healthy, keep my core strong and come back for checkups every 2 years. Now that is frustrating, I want answers and I'm determined not to stop until I find them. If my curvature has progressed by 6 degrees in the past 3 years who's to say it won't keep going? So I just want to get behind this and any info you can give will really help! Thanks so much and sorry for the ranting!

Originally posted by lcrawford View Post
    I am about to turn 27 years old and just found out that my scoliosis is progressing (my curve is idiopathic lower thoracic - in my lower back and curves to the right). Doctors have no clue why it's worsening because #1 I am no longer growing (obviously) and #2 have not been nor am I pregnant (100% sure of that!) and #3 also obviously I have not hit menopause yet. As a teenager my degree was 17 degrees, then at age 23/24 it was 19 degrees. Then last year, I was 25/26 years old at the time it increased to 22 degrees. Now 8-10 months later I am about to turn 27 and my degree is now 25 degrees. I am in very good shape and do pilates as my doctor instructed. I consider myself very healthy exercise/nutrition wise and all of my check ups show great cholesterol, blood pressure, protein, etc....not that these things will make your curve worse but just sayn'! So I am now getting MRI's b/c my doctor wants to be sure it's not about to pinch a nerve or cause any other problems. I have been told my whole life (even by my current doctor) that it's no big deal, there's nothing you can do about it...and to just stay very healthy, keep my core strong and come back for checkups every 2 years. Now that is frustrating, I want answers and I'm determined not to stop until I find them. If my curvature has progressed by 6 degrees in the past 3 years who's to say it won't keep going? So I just want to get behind this and any info you can give will really help! Thanks so much and sorry for the ranting!
    Hi...

Most curves that are <30 degrees at skeletal maturity don't progress. For some reason, a small number of small curves will progress no matter what. I suspect one of the reasons your doctor ordered as MRI is that s/he wants to rule out something like a tethered cord.

Sorry that it appears you're on the losing end of the odds calculator. With any luck, your curve will stop on its own before it gets to be too much larger.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I don't think you are ranting. It is frustrating that there are no answers--and what's more the doctors don't seem to care. They probably do care but in a clinical way. I feel much as you do--to keep looking for answers and strategies--but on behalf of my daughter. Good luck.

Comment

Hi lcrawford - I noticed you do Pilates. Are your exercises modified for scoliosis and your curvature pattern? If not, you may want to try finding an instructor experienced with that .. or a Yoga instructor experienced with scoliosis.

Comment

Yes, don't worry about the rant. Scoliosis progression is something worth worrying about.

I was first diagnosed with scoliosis in 1996 at 42 degrees and a year later it had progressed 3 degrees - although doctors I talked to told me that this was within the margin of error for measuring Cobb angle, so not a big deal, I was very concerned. It seems you've heard "not a big deal" quite a bit as well.

I've spent many years doing different things to help with my scoliosis (including several years of Pilates and a Pilates teacher training!), and I'm currently using a 3-part approach that is yielding results that I'm very happy with. My 1996 thoracic curve was measured at 42 degrees. My 2003 thoracic curve was measured at 29 degrees. I'm waiting for the radiologist report for the most recent results. Here are some images showing my progress:Lumbar 2003 + 2011 combined.jpgcombined front.jpgThoracic comparison with lines.jpg

My 3-part approach looks like this:
          1. Studying with a good Alexander Technique teacher to improve balance and proprioception.
          2. Doing Mirror Work about 5 days a week - This is something that several physical therapy approaches use for treating scoliosis, and I have developed my own routine using mirrors to match my perception of where my body parts are in space with the visual reality.
          3. Receiving Structural Integration treatment (a form of manual therapy sometimes called Rolfing) to help de-rotate and balance muscles and fascia that are holding me in my scoliotic pattern.

I wrote an article on my scoliosis blog about proprioception's relation to scoliosis, but it's a bit too long to post here. Let me know if you'd like me to send you that post as an attachment, and/or send you contact information for practitioners of Alexander Technique and Structural Integration in your area.

Good luck!
          Joshua
          Diagnosed with 42 degree thoracolumbar scoliosis in 1996
          1997 - 45 degrees
          2003 - 29 degrees
          2011 - 27 degrees
          http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...osis/front.jpg
          http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...sis/Lumbar.jpg
          http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Thoracic.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X