My surgery has been canceled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My surgery has been canceled

My March 11th surgery has been canceled .My pre-op blood work came back and shows a high blood sugar number and my surgeon refuses to do the surgery until my blood sugar number is back down near the normal range. I am in so much pain and no one seems to care.I do not know if I will be able to get up the courage and the strength to try to have the surgery again. I have so much stress in my life and this is just more. I am so depressed that all I want to do is just crawl into a hole and cover myself up and never come out again.I have to get a referred to go see a endocrinologist and then when the blood sugar is under control then book another appointment with my surgeon. It took an hour in my Doctor's office this morning to try to find a vein and when she couldn't she sent me to the hospital where they spent a hour ,also ,trying to find a vein. They finally did after a hour.I just do not understand how 3 months ago my blood sugar was normal and now it is considered severe diabetes.I was looking forward to looking better this Spring and now it is not to be, if ever.My doctor's nurse said that she would call me in strong pain killer. I do not want to get addicted to it.

There is no way that I will be able to stick my finger or any other part of my body as I am unable to cause myself pain

Anyway,thanks for listening.

If I get a new surgical date I'll get back on line here .Otherwise, it does not matter as I do not know if I will choose to have surgery as I do not know if I will have the strength to go through this again

Good night

Melissa

My partner is diabetic and stress increases his sugar so I wouldn't be surprised if stress is behind this. You may need to change your diet, exercise if your pain permits, and hopefully, you will be prescribed medication but it shouldn't take long to bring it down to reasonable levels. Don't give up Melissa. Easy for me to say I know. At the moment you have every right to feel fed up. But this can be managed. And once under control (which shouldn't take long) you will build up your courage once again for this surgery. We're all here cheering you on and we won't let you give up!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I"m so sorry Melissa, but I guess this is why they do the pre-op testing. It would be dangerous to have surgery with uncontrolled blood sugar.

They always have a hard time finding veins on me too. I had a routine blood test yesterday and this time, like every other time, they have to use one of those tiny butterfly needles. I think small veins are hereditary.

Good luck getting into a endo Dr. I can't imagine how this must stress you on top of everything else. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Melissa - I'm so sorry for this set back , but agree with the others - the pre=op testing is needed to make sure you won't have complcations during surgery. Once your set your mind to this it's got to be hard to redirect. I'm sure this can be taken care of and you will go into your surgery with your body ready to heal itself after.

Please know I'm thinking about you and hope that we will hear a new date soon.

Dee
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Dear Melissa-- been thinking of you and just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. You WILL get through this temporary setback. You ARE a tough person. Right now, all your plans and hopes have come crashing down around you, but after you have time to process it all (and have a good cry!) I think you'll be able to pick up the pieces and start again, even if it's with a different plan. It may be something simple and easy to get your blood sugar where it needs to be. If not, it's certainly good to know about it and deal with it. If your surgeon won't operate with your blood sugar out of whack, there's a very good reason for it.

Don't let this get you down for very long. I know it must be a huge disappointment, but you can get through it. Hang in there! Hugs, Susie

PS-- For many of us, this forum is our scoli venting and sharing place-- a place to help each other get through the bad times and celebrate the good ones. Please always feel free to share how you're feeling... I think most of us have done that and it helps so much to know that others care and understand. We're feeling your pain and disappointment right now, and are rooting for better news soon.
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-06-2010, 12:42 PM. Reason: add "ps"
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Melissa,

My heart goes out to you and everyone has sent you such amazing and encouraging words. Where else could you get this kind of understanding. This Forum is awesome.

Take a deep breath and then take one day at a time. Things will work out for you and you will get the courage again to have the surgery. A lot of what you are feeling could be because of the blood sugar. Try not to worry about the finger stick thing. The machines today to test your own blood sugar are not painful like they used to be. You can research them online and ask the doctor what he would recommend for someone like yourself who finds it hard to stick themselves. With diet and exercise and pain meds you will get this under control. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thank you every one for your wonderful replies
              I am so depressed. My dear daughter and I had a wonderful summer planned. She is 17 years old and this is most likely her last summer that she will be able to travel with me. Her college program has her interning next summer. If the surgeon won't operate until the blood sugar number is more normal and stable for at least 2 months and then he is booking 2 months out , that puts me right smack in the middle of July . So then I will have to decide if I want to push the surgery until the fall and just travel while I am in horrible pain that just gets worse each day.

One of my other stressors is the fact that my husband and I are going to separate. We were going to wait until the surgery was over but I do not think that I can now wait that long.

Thirdly, my brother is suing me over me father estate. This has been going on since 2006.

I , also, have fibromalygia. I am in pain and have multiple problems from that as well.

How much stress can a body take?

Thanks for your good wishes

Melissa

Comment

Melissa -- I'm so sorry to hear you're having to go through so much at once. You've been in my prayers and will continue to be. Remember there are lots of folks cheering for you. I see a ton of support on this forum. Take advantage of it.

Glenda
                Glenda
                Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                Pleased with outcome

Comment

Perhaps, considering you were cancelled, your surgeon may be able to give you his first cancellation, after your bring your sugar down, if you explain these things to him. I hope so Melissa.

You are under enormous stress and wish I knew what to suggest. Are you on any anti-anxiety meds? How are you sleeping? You would be amazed at how these things affect blood sugar, I know from my partner's experience. Lack of sleep and stress can put his sugar up faster and higher than going off his really good diet. He does a lot of exercise and that brings it down when it rises, but you seem to be in too much pain to use exercise to bring it down. That's why I'm thinking medication. When you speak to your endo, I feel you will be given the tools to deal with it. Then it's a matter of working out when you want the surgery.

Whatever happens, we'll be here, urging you on.

Meantime, eat loads of vegetables (not so much the potatoes), oatmeal, wholegrains as opposed to white or wholemeal and stick to cold climate fruit like apples and pears. But not too much fruit. And low-fat dairy.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Melissa, I am so sorry about your surgery having to be cancelled right when you were psyching yourself up for it. But at the same time like the others have said, there is a very good reason for it. High blood sugars can inhibit healing of your fusion, and also increase risk of infection. Take one day at a time, deal with what you can. You are a strong woman. I have always believed that God will not put you in a situation that he knows you cannot handle. Please don't stay away from the forum. There is so much support here and you WILL find your strength!
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Melissa,
                      Oh, I'm so sorry about your surgery. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I found that out before mine last year. It's hard to accept but I'm sure the doctor realizes the danger he would be putting you in if he went ahead. You have so many stressors right now it's hard to imagine. You had sounded so much more confident lately about the surgery and I really think when the time is better for a successful surgery you will be ready again. Thoughts, prayers, and hugs coming your way. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks for the warm wishes. I just don't know want to do. I know that some people believe that God does not give you more that you can handle . Well, I really think that I am not able to handle any more.Both of my kids are special needs kids and I have raised them since 1992 and then my Dad moved in with us in 2002 .Since my dad died in 2006 , I have been in a depressed state and this surgery was the first thing that really has made me feel good and now all I can do is cry. All weekend , all I did was sleep and cry. That was it .I did not get dressed nor get out of bed .I did not even look at my computer or do anything else. I had no interest in doing anything at all.My best friend was coming down from NJ for my surgery as I scheduled around her work . If I get another surgical date,I do not know if she will be able to rearrange her schedule to come down.

During this whole thing with the blood sugar , I have seen another side of my primary care doctor and she is a bitch . As soon as I get my referral from her, I will be leaving her and finding a new doctor and a new practice

Melissa
                        Last edited by mbeckoff; 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Well, anyway last night I tried to stab myself and managed to pass out.
                          This morning I went to my primary care doctor who continued in her same manner of Friday. She has me on three meds and wants me to stab myself 2 times a day. We shall see. She would not tell me what to eat or not eat;just to stay away form carbs.They got me an appointment with an endocrinologist on March 30,which is a really long time from now. I have decided that I am just going to eat protein and vegetables until I see this doctor because these two groups can't hurt me and I know that they will help me. When I get to see the other Doctor, hopefully they will be able to tell me more about what foods I am able to eat. She still was unable to tell me how my blood sugar went up so high from my last blood test three months ago when it was normal.

Thanks for listening

When and If I have anything else to say I will be back

Melissa

Comment

Melissa ...

When you're thinking "veggies" to avoid carbs, be aware potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, corn, peas, beans and lentils can be high in carbs/complex carbs.

(ADDITION: I found a good link for calculating net carbs in vegetable ... hope it helps!)

Your doctor really ought to give you more guidance.

Hang in there, and congrats on at least trying to take your shot. Keep trying, hon: You can do this.

Regards,
                            Pam
                            Last edited by txmarinemom; 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM.
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                              She still was unable to tell me how my blood sugar went up so high from my last blood test three months ago when it was normal.
                              Is it possible that your blood work results were inadvertently switched with somebody else’s? That once happened to me. Further testing will confirm that.

Comment

Working...
                              X