Hip pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip pain

Is it normal to have hip pain after surgery I'm like 7 wks out and went out with my mom and I could barely walk it Hurt really bad.. I have a drs. apt Tuesday for a follow up was going to bring this up to him.

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Oh my Megz,

Your are under estimating your strength!!! I couldn't walk any length of time.
    Especially so soon. If I went out I used a wheelchair for a while. And of course, and pain you may have right now is probably normal, but never hurts to ask your Doc.

Stay strong and keep up the good work, and don't be afraid to get rest. I know what's it like to be eager to get back on the "horse".

Way to go,
    Shari

Comment

Meg ...

Out of curiousity, what type of hip pain? Where, exactly?

Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

A friend of mine who had surgery back in November, gets hip pain intermittently. It just comes and goes, but makes her miserable when it's happening. She has no idea what's causing it, it doesn't appear to be anything she's doing that brings it on. Be interested to hear what your doctor says. Good luck megz
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
          Meg ...

Out of curiousity, what type of hip pain? Where, exactly?

Pam
          When I walk and put pressure on my leg it hurts near my groin area deep inside there I was thinking up all these crazy thoughts thinking the long screws they use in your pelvic and its in my hip -- lol I know Im a freak but when I get these weird pains that Im not used to it makes me nervous..have you experienced this before the pain?

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
            Oh my Megz,

Your are under estimating your strength!!! I couldn't walk any length of time.
            Especially so soon. If I went out I used a wheelchair for a while. And of course, and pain you may have right now is probably normal, but never hurts to ask your Doc.

Stay strong and keep up the good work, and don't be afraid to get rest. I know what's it like to be eager to get back on the "horse".

Way to go,
            Shari
            shari,

At one point I wanted to break down and use a wheelchair with each store we went into but i just kept pushing myself..My doctor had told me walking was the best exercise and I honestly haven't been doing my fair share of it besides around the house and to do my daily things..but when I got home ugh I slept for a few hours I was honestly exhausted funny how much walking wears you out.. Im still staying with my mom but next week I finally go home and hope the weather stays nice so I can do some walking outside.. =) Shari how far along are you?!

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Meg

You are still very early. I had all sorts of pains, jabs, jolts, its part of the healing process. Soft tissue injuries happen.

Try not to worry too much, chances are you can sleep it off and be better in a few days or sooner.

I also had the deep hip pain with my large pelvic screws. You will have good and bad days for awhile, with constant improvement. It just takes time.

If you walk and feel yourself starting to get sore, go ahead and stop and take a break. Try not to push too hard so soon. Moderation is key.

Slow and easy now.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I would also add that the kind of walking you do while shopping (ambling; stopping and starting) is much harder on a new fusion than a steady walk. That was my experience, anyway, both before and after my fusion.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Meg,

for about 3-4 months after my surgery, my left hip joint wasn't right. It felt like the ball didn't fit properly in the socket. With 3 months of PT, where the therapist helped me stretch, and I did many stretches on my own regularly, it got much better. Within 6 months it was totally back to normal. My therapist thought that since my pelvis was no longer as uneven as it used to be, the hip bone (ball) had to re-adjust in it's new home. At first I could hardly move the leg to the side without cringing in pain.

This surgery definitely affects more parts than just our spines. See what your surgeon says. I remember telling my surgeon at 6 weeks and he thought it would resolve itself.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Chris nailed the walking thing. Before surgery I still made myself walk & exercise as much as possible but to shop after 20 minutes was all pain. I think it definitely is the stopping & starting. I find that somewhat true now with shopping but I can go for a much longer time. (Maybe my back was what made me loathe shopping!) I said to someone a while back it's probably got a lot to do with the cold here but something somewhere always seems to hurt. I've had hip and groin muscle aches off and on but they do tend to resolve themselves. I think if you hadn't been doing too much walking you may have overdone a bit. You are still pretty early. Hope it gets better for you soon. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My most intense pain after surgery WAS in my hips and sacral area. I figured it was the Frankenstein screws in there. All the various aches and pains came in a variety of areas it seems and didn't settle down for about a year and a half. Keep walking....it will get better.
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                        My most intense pain after surgery WAS in my hips and sacral area. I figured it was the Frankenstein screws in there. All the various aches and pains came in a variety of areas it seems and didn't settle down for about a year and a half. Keep walking....it will get better.
                        Kristy,

I had to laugh at your 'Frankenstein Screws' description. My family sometimes refers to me as 'Franken-Mommy'.

Meg,
                        like someone else said, in the first 3-4 months post-op, shopping was EXHAUSTING.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                        X