Brace successs Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace successs Story

My 16 year old daughter got good news at her post bracing appt last week. She was put in a boston brace at age 11 when her curve jumped to 32 within a 6 month period. She was very compliant for almost 2 years..20 hrs/day. Her in brace xrays were always good 0-15 or so .Her xray Dec08 was 11-T 21-L after being out of brace 6 months. Last week 2-2010 her curves were the same. They told her to get an x ray every 5 years into adulthood. I attribute her success to the brace.She is very lucky and thankful and so am I.

That is great news!

Comment

That is absolutely great news! Congrats to you both!!!!!!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Wow -- Congrats! That is such great news....especially for those who are wearing braces now. My 7 year old is in a brace and it gives me hope to hear a success story. Thanks!

Comment

That is wonderful news! You all must be so relieved!
          Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
          28 degree scoliosis 9/04
          Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
          17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
          Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
          3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
          11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

Super news! Congrats!!

Comment

leokatmom

That is great news. My daughter (8) is in a SpineCor brace but she will be getting a Boston brace on March 8th. It is nice to hear a success story with wearing the Boston brace. We had considered getting a Cheneau brace.

I know you said she was compliant the first couple years. What about the other other years, did she wear it part-time, night-time, etc.?

Did she do any physical therapy or exercises along with wearing the brace?

Did she have much rotation? My daughter is around 15 degrees.

Do you have any recommendations for someone who will be starting to wear the Boston brace?

Thank You

Michael
              Last edited by michael1960; 02-25-2010, 01:43 AM.

Comment

She stopped wearing it about 6 months before the doctors recommended. She was in 8th grade ,14 years old and very lucky her curve did not increase at that point. Rotation was never mentioned .She started with more of a upper curve then eventually it changed to more lumbar. She played basketball and volleyball and removed her brace during pe ,practices and games. There should be a breaking in period for the brace wearing. It took Katie about 1-2 weeks before she could sleep thru the night. We bought new clothes that would fit over and hide the brace. She was able to find jeans thatshe could wear . We made frequent trips to the orthodist for adjustments until she felt it was padded/ adjusted enough.It was a constant battle but I admire my daughter and all the kids that wear a brace . Good luck.

Comment

sweet success! I bet you went out to celebrate...this is great news!
                  age 15
                  Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                  T20 l23 10-09
                  T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                  T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                  T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                  Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                  Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

That's amazing!

I hope the same thing will happen to me when I return in six months. If my x-Ray shows that my curve hasn't changed since I've been out of the brace then I'll be done!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X